Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery
That's the brown one? With leather case?
Sorry, but no thanx

10-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why? Would you sincerely expect Pentax being able to go against Nikon/Canon on FPS speed just now? Would even buy the camera since there's lack of long pro lens anyway?
Actually it's more the AF accuracy/speed/prediction capability I want, not so much the FPS, but more would be nice.

When I bought my DS 3 years ago I didn't know I would be doing what I want to do, I also didn't know about the lack of Pentax glass.
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
<snip>...
Remember this, Hoya makes nearly all the glass blanks for all the big name camera manufacturers and Pentax is now a subsidiary of Hoya and the cost of moving those blanks to Pentax's factory is going to be at cost. No one has really brought up that fact and I'm surprised so I guess I'll do it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-releases/13173-pentax-news-so...tml#post104832

"... Remember: Hoya is a huge supplier of lens blanks for many companies, including the "big two". That merger only spells major positives, especially for Pentax. Think about it - Hoya can now give Pentax their lens blanks at cost... because they own Pentax..."

I guess my comment was for naught... <sniff> Just giving you a hard time Chris...

QuoteQuote:
Pentax has also gotten tons of semi-conductor parts from Samsung, which is one of the largest companies in that area, hence the trade for camera technologies. Another point no one brought up, don't know why not? Pentax signed a huge deal with the largest maker of gyroscopic properties a few months back to improve their shake reduction technology.

The pieces of the puzzle are there and here is Hoya's stance, "Pentax will be the next earnings driver under Hoya's skillful management!"

You won't be dissapointed, you'll be very happy indeed, just a single FPS on one body and 2 on another which is still super fast and faster than right now.
Seriously though, I am looking forward the the news releases, and the future of Pentax very much! Well said Chris! Even if you are a Pentax militant...

Cheers,
Marc
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-releases/13173-pentax-news-so...tml#post104832

"... Remember: Hoya is a huge supplier of lens blanks for many companies, including the "big two". That merger only spells major positives, especially for Pentax. Think about it - Hoya can now give Pentax their lens blanks at cost... because they own Pentax..."

I guess my comment was for naught... <sniff> Just giving you a hard time Chris...

Seriously though, I am looking forward the the news releases, and the future of Pentax very much! Well said Chris! Even if you are a Pentax militant...

Cheers,
Marc
Darn you got me Marc! Oh well, it takes extra voice to get things across sometimes.

10-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
(snip)...but it does have to have one thing and thats value and it will for the prices the new bodies should hit the market for...(snip)
Chris, you don't know how much I'm hanging onto these words. Haha.

I always thought that Pentax would help itself by remaining the value leader among camera manufacturers. Hoya probably has some tricks up its sleeve to keep manufacturing costs down, and maybe the cooperation with Samsung might also help offset the costs of R&D. If Hoya can keep the synergy between Hoya's manufacturing efficiency and quality control, Samsung's electronics expertise, and Pentax's superb engineering, then they could realistically release a K10D upgrade that's, well, like the K10D is now: good value for the money, and possibly good enough for fence-sitters to choose that over the 40D, D300, and E-3.

And then Pentax can now release another body at the price point of the D300 with an even broader feature set, possibly gunning for superior IQ, possibly putting a dent in Canon's 5D/5D's upgrade sales.

What I'm curious to know is what the K100D Super upgrade will be, or will it stay as it is for the next year as it is. I still believe this segment of the market still rakes in the most money, and gives consumers a foothold in the whole DSLR system. The D3 or 1Ds Mk III isn't what keeps Nikon or Canon afloat, respectively, but the D40x and the 400D.

Thoughts?
10-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
What I'm curious to know is what the K100D Super upgrade will be, or will it stay as it is for the next year as it is.
My understanding of the K100D Super is that it was a "quick-job" to make the camera survive a little bit longer on the market - because the "real" upgrade was delayed. I expect SDM, anti-dust-shaker, with an APS-C sensor (Sony 10Mp, same as in K10D?) with the same chassi as K100D, but different exterior (but still with the familiar Pentax "look"), improvement in buffer, faster memory, PRIME-engine. Live-view would be welcomed by the target market, but could mean a too heavy increase in price. When? Summer 2008?
10-31-2007, 02:24 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
My understanding of the K100D Super is that it was a "quick-job" to make the camera survive a little bit longer on the market - because the "real" upgrade was delayed. I expect SDM, anti-dust-shaker, with an APS-C sensor (Sony 10Mp, same as in K10D?) with the same chassi as K100D, but different exterior (but still with the familiar Pentax "look"), improvement in buffer, faster memory, PRIME-engine. Live-view would be welcomed by the target market, but could mean a too heavy increase in price. When? Summer 2008?
thats the k10d

11-01-2007, 03:51 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
thats the k10d
Maybe, maybe not...
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
thats the k10d
What about a "stripped down" K10D with one e-dial instead of two, pentamirror instead of pentaprism, auto picture modes instead of TAv, HyP and Sv-modes. No program-lines. No weather sealing. No LCD-panel on top, only a large 3" LCD at the back.
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
What about a "stripped down" K10D with one e-dial instead of two, pentamirror instead of pentaprism, auto picture modes instead of TAv, HyP and Sv-modes. No program-lines. No weather sealing. No LCD-panel on top, only a large 3" LCD at the back.
And the same (or simplified) engine as K10D. Would make sense, very little to do.
11-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Well, those are good ideas, but I would hope that Pentax keeps the top LCD on all its DSLRs. Dunno, I guess I'm just not used to looking at settings using the rear LCD. I tried a friend's 400D, and the rear LCD thing just doesn't cut it for me.

But, yeah, that's just me.
11-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #72
Inactive Account

Yeah I hope they keep the top LCD. Just because Nikon can apparently tell its customers "Nah you don't want that really, trust us", doesn't mean Pentax should too
11-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Yeah I hope they keep the top LCD. Just because Nikon can apparently tell its customers "Nah you don't want that really, trust us", doesn't mean Pentax should too
I prefer losing the top lcd and keeping the K/M lenses compatibility
The film *ist did show its settings on a back lcd.
11-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I most certainly would not want to loose the top lcd. I use it all of the time.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 11-02-2007 at 06:01 AM.
11-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I most certainly would not want to loose the top viewfinder. I use it all of the time.

Ben
Viewfinder or Top LCD ?

IMO for most people in low-end (K100D or hypothetical K1000D) the top LCD is not *that* mandatory. Most people won't ever look at it. The will ook through the voewfinder or the LCD back screen and nothing else.

On a higher end body, it is clear that I would not accept a body without top LCD.