Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
How is the Canon not a "pro" grade lens with consumer grade specs?
I think I missed the winking emoticon on that one ....

04-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How is the Canon not a "pro" grade lens with consumer grade specs?
It's just not the same kind of lens. The zoomratio is 4.3 versus 14. I'd call that quite a big difference.
04-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Zoom ration has nothing to do with it. An 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (3x), 50-200 f/3.5-5.6 (4x), 70-300 f/4-5.6 (4.3x), 18-270 f/3.5-5.6 (15x), and 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 (10.7x) are all consumer grade specs. So standard kit lenses aren't consumer grade because they have small zoom ratios? Your argument makes no sense.
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Zoom ration has nothing to do with it.
He's right. The greater the zoom ratio, the greater the compromise that must be made optically to create the lens. a 14x zoom is by necessity going to involve a much greater compromise than a ~4x zoom.

An 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (3x), 50-200 f/3.5-5.6 (4x), 70-300 f/4-5.6 (4.3x), 18-270 f/3.5-5.6 (15x), and 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 (10.7x) are all consumer grade specs. So standard kit lenses aren't consumer grade because they have small zoom ratios? Your argument makes no sense.
Suggesting that arbitrary focal length ranges are consumer grade solely because they're common among consumer grade lenses makes even less sense. A 3x-4x zoom has much less compromise optically, but it can still be consumer grade because either the sophistication of the optical design, the build quality / ruggedness, or both aren't up to pro-grade standards. The latter has nothing to do with zoom range and can be true even of a prime; the former can also apply to any focal range, but is decidedly more likely to be true of a longer-ranging zoom than a shorter-ranging one.

04-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Knox, I hate to break this to you, but you are trying to side with Kevin, yet you are agreeing with me. I wasn't suggesting they were consumer grade solely because of their focal lengths or zoom ratios at all. Just the opposite. Kevin made that argument that one lens was pro grade and one wasn't, all based on zoom ratio, and I called BS. Why? Because there is more to it than that. That has been my point all along.

So back to my question. How is the Canon 70-300L not a lens given a pro name, but has nothing more than consumer grade specs? What's pro about it? Ok, it's painted white and has a red ring. IQ? Sucks. Speed? Sucks. Price? Ok, got me there, it's got a pro grade price tag. Build? Yes, it's sealed, which means nothing to us as we have sealed consumer grade lenses.
04-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Knox, I hate to break this to you, but you are trying to side with Kevin, yet you are agreeing with me. I wasn't suggesting they were consumer grade solely because of their focal lengths or zoom ratios at all. Just the opposite. Kevin made that argument that one lens was pro grade and one wasn't, all based on zoom ratio, and I called BS. Why? Because there is more to it than that. That has been my point all along.

So back to my question. How is the Canon 70-300L not a lens given a pro name, but has nothing more than consumer grade specs? What's pro about it? Ok, it's painted white and has a red ring. IQ? Sucks. Speed? Sucks. Price? Ok, got me there, it's got a pro grade price tag. Build? Yes, it's sealed, which means nothing to us as we have sealed consumer grade lenses.
IQ Sucks? I am almost pathologically averse to the Canon line simply because the camera operation seems so foreign to me. Even though as a camera salesman I have to use all the brands on a daily basis, I find the Canon cameras just don't suit me. However I could quite possibly be cured of my aversion by a small selection of Canon lenses and the new 70-300L would certainly be one of them. Much like the DA* 60-250 or 50-135 lenses, you can pretty well shoot in situations that most lenses would practically guarantee flare and these lenses won't. Shoot it at 300mm and f/5.6 and compare it to the EF 70-300 IS USM lens for less than half the price and you will see where Canon spent the extra money. Check a cross section of the lens barrel and see the thickness of the barrel and you will see the lens offers some unique durability. If by speed you mean light gathering capability I have to ask who cares? With the very clean images at higher ISOs on today's cameras big apertures are less compelling except in limiting DOF. If you mean speed as in quick focusing it will focus the pants off any Pentax lens with the possible exception of the 18-135 on a K-5.

I have used a half-dozen of these 70-300L lenses and I promise you it rivals the IQ of any pro grade zoom. I would love to mount one on a K-5, but that's a moot point; even if it were technologically possible there are nearly no available Canon lenses for the time being.