Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Any News on that rumored 25-350 DA* lens?

Is there any hope of this lens coming to fruition this year? Or is it a very remote possibility? I have read that new releases might be cancelled or delayed due to Japan's recovering state so wonder how that will affect new announcements this year..

04-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did I miss something? Was this lens planned or is this related to one of the patents they got?
04-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Related to one of their patents:

Pentax DA*25-350mm F3.3-5.6ED [IF] SDM??????????So-net???

Filed a couple years ago, published just this year.
04-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Star lenses aren't variable aperture...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It will come out with the FF body next Photokina.
04-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
Adam,

there are currently no variable aperture * lenses, but to my knowledge nowhere in the description of these lenses, where they describe their common attributes such as weather sealing, is constant aperture mentioned as a defining factor of a * lens. Seeing as the patent specified that this was a * lens, it doesn't seem like not being constant aperture would mean the patent was listed wrong. My uneducated .02, take it or leave it
04-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

...and what about the 12-35mm?

This got me wondering about the 12-35mm lens murmured a little while back.

Mostly, I'd like to know if there's been anything else specific about it discussed, mostly things like size, filter thread, that sort of thing. The Pentax 645 25mm F4 was a complete surprise to me, but I'm hoping information is a little more forthcoming regarding the 12-35mm.

I've been trying to do more with prime lenses in the ranges usually covered by typical kit and beyond-kit glass (i.e. anything between 18mm and 70mm). However, ultra-wide angles like the DA 15mm f/4 AL ED Limited, DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited, and FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited are quite costly.

Naturally, a 12-35mm would be one spicy meatball price-wise, but it would certainly cover the UWA range, and I would happily buy one as long as it's sharp sharp sharp (I always say that in reference to this lens - I really want it to be so!).

Ideally, for me, such a lens would require a 77mm filter thread. I've accumulated a handful of such filters for my DA* 16-50mm and it would be nice knowing they can be used in the future.

04-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Adam,

there are currently no variable aperture * lenses, but to my knowledge nowhere in the description of these lenses, where they describe their common attributes such as weather sealing, is constant aperture mentioned as a defining factor of a * lens. Seeing as the patent specified that this was a * lens, it doesn't seem like not being constant aperture would mean the patent was listed wrong. My uneducated .02, take it or leave it
Does the patent actually specify this? All I can find with a quick google search is a reference to any auto-translated japanese blog post or news item. I'm not sure where exactly to find japanese patents online....
04-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

this wont be a DA* it will be a consumer lens.
04-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, this 'won't be', period. They filed the patent cause they had the design lying around for whatever reason, probably from back when they made FF film cameras. Who wants this range for APS-C? Who is the target audience for a professional grade lens with amateur grade specifications?
04-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Does the patent actually specify this? All I can find with a quick google search is a reference to any auto-translated japanese blog post or news item. I'm not sure where exactly to find japanese patents online....
Go to this page:

Patent & Utility Model Gazette DB

Enter "A" for "Kind code" and "2011-8234" for "Number"..

Enjoy... or not
04-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Star lenses aren't variable aperture...
Adam,

I'm with Adam... * lenses so far have been constant aperture... and frankly if they changed that it would make a lot of people serious unhappy. I buy the * lenses for 2 things... the weather sealing and the constant aperture.

Change this to variable aperture and you practically have a "DA L" lenses (maybe "DA WR" if they keep the weather sealing and the metal mount).
04-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I do not agree, well not totaly. I think it really depends on the type of lens.
A 135-400 would IMO deserve the DA* if f/3.5-4.5 (what, I can dream can't I?).
Though a f/3.5-6.3 would obviously not. 'Normal lenses' should be fixed aperture but for big zooms, I don't see a problem if it is 'almost' fixed aperture.
04-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Is there any hope of this lens coming to fruition this year? Or is it a very remote possibility? I have read that new releases might be cancelled or delayed due to Japan's recovering state so wonder how that will affect new announcements this year..

Very odd lenses the DA*25-350 and the DA12-35. I just don't see a market for either lenses, but especially the 25-350. If they do release such lenses I will not like the direction Pentax is heading with their lenses.

I do hope that Pentax will release a DA*135-400/F4.0 and a DA*11-16F/2.8.
04-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Very odd lenses the DA*25-350
its a cropped format Bigma .. same fl but smaller and WR
whats there not to like?