Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Well, what I meant was that I am surprised that this guy is NOT thrashed around more here, because he really put k-5 down in ways that I thought would upset lots of people around here. Where is all this restraints coming from?
think of it that people here think more objectively. the points raised there aren't really meant to degrade a system but rather a careful and non-biased evaluation of the user as opposed to trolling around or clearly advocating one's fanboyism. personally, I find the comments non-provocative compared to a certain fella on youtube who got gangbanged due to spreading false information. an honest criticism is different from someone who is trying to influence people by showing bias.

05-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Well, what I meant was that I am surprised that this guy is NOT thrashed around more here, because he really put k-5 down in ways that I thought would upset lots of people around here. Where is all this restraints coming from?
One explanation could be that people don't take him very seriously.

Can you take someone seriously who
  • is confused about JPEG vs RAW histograms? Does he know that LR has a default boost (non zero slider settings) that very likely is responsible for the histogram differences he criticises? Does he even know that the camera shows him a histogram based on JPEG settings which are irrelevant for the ACR histogram?
  • unable to see advantages of a sensor that is ~1.6 larger. He probably has no idea how to capture-sharpen images from a K-5.
  • thinks that a 2+ stop advantage in dynamic range doesn't make a difference in real world shots?
  • writes nonsense like "Getting anywhere near 14 stops of range requires amounts of highlight and shadow recovery that don't result in convincing tones in a print"?
  • essentially compares lenses but keeps saying this camera is better than another one?
  • thinks his "get a feel from a print"-tests are more relevant regarding sensorperformance than DxOMark results?
He could have made a lot of good points about why the Lumix GF1 is a better choice for some people than a K-5, but instead he just does some poor K-5 bashing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a K-5 fanboy. AFAIC, if Pentax is unable to issue another firmware which really addresses the low-light AF problems, they have missed the mark, and I won't be getting a K-5. I would have been disconcerted by the very same issues of the "technical notes" if they had been about another camera.
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
It seemed to me that he was magnifying his gripes with the Pentax stuff to make him feel justified about something he wanted to do anyway, which is to keep shooting with his Panasonic stuff. That's alright, it's a pretty natural thing to do, and you should generally go with your first gut response anyway.

That said, I think the 28 mm (equivalent) lens on my Ricoh GXR is just as good if not better in many ways than the DA15 and DA21 mm, so it's not out of the question that this would be true for the Panasonic wide angles as well. Hard for me to discount the sensor advantage and other advantages of the K-5 just because of this, though. In fact, I wish Ricoh had used the K-5's sensor with this unit
The GXR is a really great camera. I had a chance to use one recently. If I wasn't committed to buying the SD1 when it's released that would probably be my choice. I am really intrigued by the new Fuji but I already am invested in M4/3 and am perfectly happy with the format. That said I really would like a GXR.