Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
My belief is that Pentax may go for more firmware-features than the competition, because firmware is cheaper than hardware, and by this still offering more for the money. The K10D already has some clever firmware (the novel customisation of e-dials, the tweaking of white balance-presents and auto white balance, the built-in RAW-converter etc.) and this can, could (should?) be expanded further. Pentax has shown in the past that they are not afraid of odd-thinking (the most adventorous of them was perhaps the non-standard mounting of the hot-shoe in the Z-bodies).

I am absolutely positive!
This is also something positive, if you ask me. Doing so adds more value to the camera at relatively low cost to both consumers and Hoya/Pentax. I do recall that Pentax issues firmware updates long after they have ceased production on cameras. It speaks volumes about their commitment to their customers.

I think most of us here are positive.

11-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hoya will never put its name on lenses...
Hoya said rhey will keep the Pentax brand, I don't get this speculation on brand names ..
11-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hoya will never put its name on lenses...
Hoya said rhey will keep the Pentax brand, I don't get this speculation on brand names ..
Think is was for fun. Pentax sort of makes this easy. At one point a misprint on their web pages listed them as Petnax...... and of course the Hoytax, Penoya... ect follow along.
It would be a FATAL mistake for Hoya to rename the camera/lens line unless it was to Samsung/ Schnieder Kre-whatever .
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Hoya didn't become the conglomerate that it is doing stupid things. I'm convinced that Pentax cameras will remain safe and secure in the Hoya fold.

11-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
Hoya didn't become the conglomerate that it is doing stupid things. I'm convinced that Pentax cameras will remain safe and secure in the Hoya fold.
I agree. If "Pentax" could be the brand name for cameras and lenses from Ashai Optical, then it sure can for Hoya. The Pentax Imaging Business Corp - the heart and soul of Pentax - will live on in the new Imaging System division at Hoya.

One can questioning what happens with the Pentax brand for eye-wear and medical/life-care business (endoscopes etc.). I don't know... but as long as Pentax lives on for cameras and lenses, then I'm happy.
11-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Actually that is the ROOT of my pessimism. Hoya is not stupid and knows better than to throw gobs of cash out for a single digit net return. They'd be better w/ stuffing it in a CD or some such financial vehicle. How long they will tolerate low margins is the question (and was the strength of stand alone Pentax since ALL dept were fairly low margin ).
Can they boost margins to a Hoya comfortable level? Not sure that's possible considering the market. Looks like they are going to try BUT we shall see.
In the business world there are/were plenty of profitable companies/divisions that are/will be non-existant due to inadequate profit, not lack of profit. Curse of capitalism in large shareholder controlled companies.
Technically the Pentax chain of history and pride is GONE and that's what worries me the most.
From a poster that I consider knowedgeable as to financials "only if you think Nikon's 10-12% profit margin is good compared to Canon's well over 20%".
And for things that will possibly be lost, see this:
so what will happen to...: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review
Now Hoya does have a financially stupid division: Novelty glass or some such "loss leader" that they seem to maintain through a certain pride (certainly NOT from financial incentive if you look at their reports) and maybe they will do the same for Pentax history.......
Electro-Optics 34.5%
Photonics 6.8%
Vision Care 18.1%
HealthCare 24.8%
Pentax --
Others (Crystal ect.) -10.8%

HOYA CORPORATION
Still feel safe? actually I should probably just keep my thoughts to myself since Pentax will need all the sales it can get..
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Actually that is the ROOT of my pessimism. Hoya is not stupid and knows better than to throw gobs of cash out for a single digit net return. They'd be better w/ stuffing it in a CD or some such financial vehicle. How long they will tolerate low margins is the question (and was the strength of stand alone Pentax since ALL dept were fairly low margin ).
Can they boost margins to a Hoya comfortable level? Not sure that's possible considering the market. Looks like they are going to try BUT we shall see.
In the business world there are/were plenty of profitable companies/divisions that are/will be non-existant due to inadequate profit, not lack of profit. Curse of capitalism in large shareholder controlled companies.
Exactly. Hoya has decided to scrap Pentax P&S except those with specific capabilities.
We might see as well more expensive P&S. Maybe bridge cameras or Ricoh GR-like.
But they will scrap usual P&S like Optio E serie for example.

As of hostory and pride, where the heck do you come to that?

11-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Would someone enlighten me? In what respect is THK (Tokina/Hoya/Kenko) involved in the HOYA purchase of Pentax? It seems to me that Pentax is in a far better position financially now than previously. But ... I'm looking for some information on this company.
11-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. A lot of people bought into Pentax for the value it presents. Even then, the K10D didn't really have shabby quality in terms of IQ or build, even at it's low price point.

I hate to think that the K10D will be the last camera Pentax will make that has a very good feature set for a very good price.
I seriously think that, if Hoya is an INTELLIGENT Company, cannot change, not only the brand name badged on the camera, but not even the Pentax philosophy: that means innovative, reliable, well made cameras and lenses, sold at right price (never expensive). If for Hoya the only important thing is the fast business and the highest possible earn, a lot of Pentax lovers will be feel to migrate to other brands (not yet the Pentax Corporation, 88 years old history brand, not yet the Pentax prices, where will be the Pentax soul? On the Hoya's heart? I doubt..).
11-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #40
Inactive Account

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. A lot of people bought into Pentax for the value it presents. Even then, the K10D didn't really have shabby quality in terms of IQ or build, even at it's low price point.

I hate to think that the K10D will be the last camera Pentax will make that has a very good feature set for a very good price.
I seriously think that, if Hoya is an INTELLIGENT Company, cannot change, not only the brand name badged on the camera, but even the Pentax philosophy: that means innovative, reliable, well made cameras and lenses, sold at right price (never expensive). If for Hoya the only important thing is the fast business and the highest possible earn, a lot of Pentax lovers will be feel free to migrate to other brands (not yet the Pentax Corporation, 88 years old history brand, not yet the Pentax prices, where will be the Pentax soul? On the Hoya's heart? I doubt..).
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #41
Inactive Account

I seriously think that, if Hoya is an INTELLIGENT Company, cannot change, not only the brand name badged on the camera, but even the Pentax philosophy: that means innovative, reliable, well made cameras and lenses, sold at right price (never expensive). If for Hoya the only important thing is the fast business and the highest possible earn, a lot of Pentax lovers will be feel free to migrate to other brands (no longer Pentax Corporation, 88 years old history brand, no longer Pentax prices, where will be the Pentax soul? On the Hoya's heart? I doubt..).
11-02-2007, 05:12 AM   #42
Not Registered

Wow!!! I am having a deja vu. Run Trinity give me an exit!!!
11-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Would someone enlighten me? In what respect is THK (Tokina/Hoya/Kenko) involved in the HOYA purchase of Pentax? It seems to me that Pentax is in a far better position financially now than previously. But ... I'm looking for some information on this company.
THK is an importer. The 3 companies represented Tokina (independent company AFAIKT), HOYA (same) and Kenko (same again) are not interrelated ant THK had/has nothing it do w/ Hoya/pentax merger...
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Pentax makes a very solid product but does not market it very well, if they are able to get some marketing help from hoya (money) they should progress rapidly. Coming from my background Volvo makes great cars but didn't have the budget to market properly, Ford bought them left the engineering to Volvo and helped them to market the product this equals more brand recognition and market share. On the otherhand in computers IBM had OS2 a much better and stable operating system than Microsoft Windows IBM could not market it's way out of a paper bag where is OS2 now?
When I was researching buying a new camera I read many reviews and decided I wanted a camera (company) with history the nikon D80 was my first choice going in but the more I read the more I relized that when the K10D was being reviewed it was to higher end competition at a lower price so it was now the #1 on my list. I went to a large retailer and was was told it was not in stock and the salesman tried to steer me to a cannon or nikon niether did I like the feel of (too small for me) more like a toy, and the salesman could not give supporting information why the others were better. Inform your sales force as to why your product is better it will sell, BTW I bought a K10D at a local studio and the owners gave it high praise even while selling canon as well and are willing to give lessons on how to get the most out of it.

Last edited by sluggo913; 11-06-2007 at 08:22 PM.
11-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sluggo913 Quote
Pentax makes a very solid product but does not market it very well, if they are able to get some marketing help from hoya (money) they should progress rapidly. Coming from my background Volvo makes great cars but didn't have the budget to market properly, Ford bought them left the engineering to Volvo and helped them to market the product this equals more brand recognition and market share. On the otherhand in computers IBM had OS2 a much better and stable operating system than Microsoft Windows IBM could not market it's way out of a paper bag where is OS2 now?
When I was researching buying a new camera I read many reviews and decided I wanted a camera (company) with history the nikon D80 was my first choice going in but the more I read the more I relized that when the K10D was being reviewed it was to higher end competition at a lower price so it was now the #1 on my list. I went to a large retailer and was was told it was not in stock and the salesman tried to steer me to a cannon or nikon niether did I like the feel of (too small for me) more like a toy, and the salesman could not give supporting information why the others were better. Inform your sales force as to why your product is better it will sell, BTW I bought a K10D at a local studio and the owners gave it high praise even while selling canon as well and are willing to give lessons on how to get the most out of it.

I totally agree (and I think most do) on what is written here. Exactly the problem Pentax (and has always have for quite a time). Marketing money alone shold greatly improve things. If they continue to put to market product like K100/K10, they should do well IMO.