Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

10.29.07 Hoya to Absorb Pentax

Snippet from full article: "The Pentax brand will survive for cameras and some other products after the merger, Hoya said.

Hoya will buy the remaining Pentax shares at 770 yen per share. The Tokyo Stock Exchange will transfer Pentax to its liquidation post from Tuesday before delisting the firm on Nov. 30." -Jiji Press

Hoya to Absorb Pentax - Jiji Press
- 7750 Pentax, 7741 Hoya

10-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imadethis Quote
Snippet from full article: "The Pentax brand will survive for cameras and some other products after the merger, Hoya said.

Hoya will buy the remaining Pentax shares at 770 yen per share. The Tokyo Stock Exchange will transfer Pentax to its liquidation post from Tuesday before delisting the firm on Nov. 30." -Jiji Press

Hoya to Absorb Pentax - Jiji Press
- 7750 Pentax, 7741 Hoya
No big surprise. Will make Pentax harder to sell off, but also means they can be more cost effective as a Hoya division. Not altogether a bad thing except for sentimental reasons.

I am more interested in the people designing the cameras. If the same engineers and managers are in charge of product development then thats fine by me. If Hoya can helop keep them in business, even better.
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
???

"Pentax posted a net profit of 586 million yen, down 46.2 pct, on sales of 85,689 million yen, up 14.8 pct."

Hmmmm...
10-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

OMG that is not good

Sales up and profits down?????? I hope the camera division was profitable; unless Pentax includes only that division...if that is the case; then Hoya will have to bring back profitability,, meaning higher prices

10-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

DSLR division profits more than doubled

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"Pentax posted a net profit of 586 million yen, down 46.2 pct, on sales of 85,689 million yen, up 14.8 pct."

Hmmmm...
Saw this from DPR Pentax forum:

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=marketsNewsUS...1-ArticlePage1

Operating profit at Pentax, the world's fifth-largest maker of digital single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras in 2006, came to 2.16 billion yen in July-September, up from 920 million yen a year earlier.

Not all bad news I guess.
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Maybe I haven't read this but does that mean when the merger is fully finished new DSLRs will have Hoya on them instead of Pentax? I guess people will get used to that especially if they produce some really top stuff and keep the K Mount compatibility. Digital has made the camera world much more volitile, that's a good thing for competition and a bad thing for the traditionalists. Hoya will hopefully have the nuts and bolts to really boost production hopefully keeping the nice things from Pentax including their engineers that tend to build cameras for photographers rather than the other way around. As part of the Pentax/Hoya club now it will be interesting to see how the next 6 months to a year will pan out. I do kinda hope that they continue to use the Pentax name though. It was sad seeing Minolta, the first camera on the moon (maybe depending on what you believe) disappear. I hope the Pentax name will live on at least as a name that most can relate to.

Tim H
10-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I dont think Hoya is that ignorant to get rid of the name Pentax. The name alone, like (mcdonalds), is worth an incredible amount all on its own. Honestly, people may question why we chose Pentax in the first place but at least they've heard of it. If any of us asked our parents or friends if they knew what Hoya made...they'd probably get confused with Goya the mexican soft drink corporation.

Sony took over minolta because arguably the name SONY is worth more than MINOLTA. Likewise, Pentax is worth more than Hoya.

Then again, i've been known to be wrong. Im just going at this with my small experience in business and economics.

10-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Knowing a little something about investing, I don't see the news as all bad....Personally, I think we could see something like Hoya Pentax on the cameras.....they had both Pentax and Asahi on cameras as I recall.
10-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timbuctoo Quote
Maybe I haven't read this but does that mean when the merger is fully finished new DSLRs will have Hoya on them instead of Pentax?
It specifically says "The Pentax brand will survive for cameras and some other products after the merger, Hoya said."
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

They also had both Konica & Minolta on my 7D. I'll go with Hoya Pentax on the new cameras and lenses. Doesn't sound to bad. Maybe just put Takuma on the lenses and Hoya Pentax on DSLRs. Special lenses could bear the Schneider name or something like that. There are lots of options but marketing is very important just as important as quick product turn around which is just as important as quality control. Man, business is a mine field isn't it.

Tim H
10-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote

Hmmmm...
That's because they took a significant inventory write down; as a result, the net profit took a hit.
10-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

From a pessimist's optimistic viewpoint, at least they made a profit! I had been thinking that Pentax had not been making a profit for the last little while.
10-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imadethis Quote
An important part to me (emphasis mine):
"Major optical glass maker Hoya Corp. <7741> said Monday it will absorb Pentax Corp. <7750> on March 31, 2008, changing its plan to make the camera maker a wholly owned subsidiary."

This might mean that the marriage went better than expected; it might also mean that it went worse than expected. I suppose we will see.

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
...they had both Pentax and Asahi on cameras as I recall.
Asahi and Pentax are the same company. Before they changed their name to Pentax in response to their overwhelmingly popular camera, they were the Asahi Optical Company.

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I am more interested in the people designing the cameras. If the same engineers and managers are in charge of product development then thats fine by me. If Hoya can helop keep them in business, even better.
I agree; however, after seeing the Sony models post-Minolta takeover I am skeptical. With public companies, it is all about the bottom line, and Hoya surely sees that the Alpha 100 (and indeed Nikon D40) sold extremely well and made a nice profit - something the excellent Minolta D7D (or *ist D) did not do.
10-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, it's all good. I think Hoya/Pentax and Samsung have plans to take the number three spot in the DSLR market.

I only see that as a good thing for a K-mount user.
10-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The former Pentax Imaging Business division in Pentax, will retain but under Hoya's umbrella instead of Pentax. The Imaging Business division won't be merged into Hoya, because Hoya does not have a similar division to merge with. This means that the cameras, the binoculars etc. will form a separate division inside Hoya and be led by Mr K D Torigoe, current chief executive of Pentax Imaging Business Corp.

This means that Hoya is even more serious in it's aim to support a strong imaging business division. By keeping Mr K D Torigoe (he is also member of the board since a couple of months), and by keeping the Image Business as a division, this ensures that the high moral among Pentax employees such as designers and technicians are retain. This Image-division will keep the soul of Pentax alive and kickin', it will build upon the proud heritage of Pentax.

And no, I don't expect to see the brand "Hoya Pentax" on our cameras any time soon.
It simply wouldn't make sense from a marketing perspective. Pentax means cameras, Hoya means filters.