Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As the article says:
"In the market for cameras with interchangeable lens, or single lens reflex cameras, Canon controlled 44.5 percent of the market, followed by Nikon with 29.8 percent and Sony with 11.9 percent, according to the data."

No number for Pentax, but it is likely to be not far behind Sony. I'd say at about 8-10%.
It's impossible that Pentax has 7% to 8% of market share of the remaining 13% when you consider hugely popular M4/3 (EPL2, GH2, GF2) is part of that remaining 13%!

04-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OneGuy Quote
It's impossible that Pentax has 7% to 8% of market share of the remaining 13% when you consider hugely popular M4/3 (EPL2, GH2, GF2) is part of that remaining 13%!
That'd depend if they mean SLRs or not in those figures.
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You are looking just at the share price. Nikon's stock price dropped 20% over the last year too. But unlike (for example) Nikon, Hoya's earnings were actually positive over the last year. Hoya was making money over the last year, Nikon wasn't. So your gloom and doom may be misguided.

I find camera people a bit strange. On any other vertical forums - autos, mobile phones, PC's - you never hear people carrying on in similar terms - ie as if their purchasing decisions were based on the 20 year market forecast for the company that made their car or computer or toaster.
i think the point you are missing with that statement is the fact that lenses carry over to the next body upgrade...if you camera company goes bust...then no future bodies..you now have a lot of expensive glass worth nothing...

Ive seen 5 year old lenses that are no longer in production sell on the market place for $3000 plus....what happens to these fine optics if you can no longer get a body to fit them....granted the K5 will give many users q few years of use without a upgrade..but what if it breaks and needs parts ?..thats why people get nervous when it comes to investing in the expensive end of the lens area....but having said all that....Pentax no longer have any really expensive glass...so perhaps thats a sign in it own right ?
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the best way to keep your beloved Pentax is to buy each year something new!

04-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well in a few years the P&S market is almost non-exsisting due to phone's with better camera's. There is a superzoomlens availeble for iPhone now.
Agreed. We thought about getting a new ps for quick shots, but since our Evos have 8mp cameras that produce surprisingly good pictures, there is no need. Which means there is more money for k-5 lenses and accessories

As for the overall health of Pentax, I am not worried about market share. It is but one number that shows profitability and not necessarily the most important one. What is the profit margin, the overhead cost, etc...

I think one reason we would like a stronger market share is because many of us, myself included, would like to be able to go to a local store and touch, feel, experience the product before purchasing. However Pentax's strategy in the US is to focus on fewer stores and more internet. My guess is that this gives them a higher profit margin, but it is harder on those of us who want to feed our addiction.

Now, could be dead wrong, but that is my .02 for what it is worth...

Last edited by Kathiewe; 04-20-2011 at 06:33 PM.
04-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #36
Banned

Interchangeable lens only (DSLR, mirrorless, etc.):

Canon 44.5%
Nikon 29.8%
Sony 11.9%
Everyone else: 13.8%

2010 Digital camera & DSLR global market shares - Steve's Digicams Forums
04-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This includes P&S which, for us, renders it meaningless since Pentax is pretty much non significant in P&S business.
thats really too bad; i just recommend a Pentax PS for a friend and he loves it. Says its the best camera he has ever had.
04-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #38
Banned

The three cameras Pentax came out with this year are all P&S so I would say Pentax P&S share is just like Canon & Nikon P&S share of their camera lines.

Last edited by jogiba; 04-24-2011 at 08:32 AM.
04-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Given that Pentax seems to be staking its hopes on non-DSLR's this year, let's hope that the rumoured MILC lines meet Hoya's expectations. I don't mind at all being in 1.6% of the population, but I do recognize that at some point Hoya has to decide whether this is worth it, especially with all the new challenges they're facing in Japan this year.
04-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian

Put in W90 bigger sensor, RAW and better lens - it will be the HIT.
04-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Given that Pentax seems to be staking its hopes on non-DSLR's this year, let's hope that the rumoured MILC lines meet Hoya's expectations. I don't mind at all being in 1.6% of the population, but I do recognize that at some point Hoya has to decide whether this is worth it, especially with all the new challenges they're facing in Japan this year.
Sorry but what's MILC?
04-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Put in W90 bigger sensor, RAW and better lens - it will be the HIT.
I agree. 24-70mm. Or even a prime would do me.

QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
Sorry but what's MILC?
Mirrorless-Interchangeable-Lens-Camera
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
Sorry but what's MILC?
Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Camera. Ie, not a true slr where the mirror sits between the lens and sensor and flips up when taking a shot. It enable cameras to be a bit smaller, and usually involves an EVF (electronic view finder). The lenses are still changeable though. The Panasonic GH2 is a good example

Woody
04-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Camera. Ie, not a true slr where the mirror sits between the lens and sensor and flips up when taking a shot. It enable cameras to be a bit smaller, and usually involves an EVF (electronic view finder). The lenses are still changeable though. The Panasonic GH2 is a good example

Woody
I prefer the term EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens).
04-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #45
Banned

Interchangeable Lens Hybrid Cameras

Interchangeable Lens Hybrid Cameras at Crutchfield.com

Interchangeable Lens Hybrid Cameras - Google Search