Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #31
Forum Member

OK so looking at other posts and trying to take this seriously, I just can't image a smaller "niche" even in Japan. I would love to see the marketing data that supported moving forward with these. Perhaps the green camouflage version to entice those that like to photograph their wildlife before/after the kill... but then (as others have said) shouldn't it be weather sealed? Taking it one step further, how about advertising a super quiet shutter to ensure the kill? Or how about a viewfinder that has the markings of a scope! It could turn dripping red after you press the shutter!

04-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the reason japan get's them is proximity to manufacturing so turn around to delivery is short enough to be viable. Smart cars have a similar program with body panels but few of them are available here whereas in europe there are loads of variants available for order
04-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KLSMpls Quote
Taking it one step further, how about advertising a super quiet shutter to ensure the kill? Or how about a viewfinder that has the markings of a scope! It could turn dripping red after you press the shutter!
Actually, I do go out with my friends who hunt. The only thing I hunt with is my camera. Your idea of an improved shutter sound is good, and I'll add it to my wish list I posted previously.
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #34
Forum Member

Oh please !

Hey ! Look at me. I have an expensive camera.
Would you like to steal it ?

04-20-2011, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guess I'm a stodgy old fart. I like my camera to look like a camera and less like something that was at the wrong end of Peter Max with projectile diarrhea. About the only good thing I can think of about the rainbow Pentax, is that it probably makes it much less likely to get stolen, unless the thief is a 5 year old.

I do kinda like the brown camo one. It might actually be practical.

If Pentax has such a raging boner to turn out custom color cameras, they could make some better design decisions. Maybe a black camera with subtle marbled leather covering in burgundy... Or a gunmetal blue body with small-grain navy blue or medium grey marble leather covering. Something that doesn't reach out and punch you in the face with an iron fist of fugly.

Just my opinion, though.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Eh, they make some colored cameras, everyone, get over it.

I do agree that the camoflage would make a lot more sense if they had a weathersealed K-r, ...I think they've been missing the boat on that outdoorsey market that way.
04-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

its a bit of a gimmick I suppose to sell cameras...does make you wonder where Pentax see themselves heading....or are they content to longer be considered a serious camera brand...where are the new lenses...or fixes for the issues their bodies currently have ?..has the Kr had a firmware update yet to fix its own brand of Front focus in Low light AF .....perhaps that should be its main concern rather than multi colored "kids" cameras .

04-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #38

I hear they're discontinuing black

And the new slogan is going to be "Pentax: Time to look at a beautiful jewel, It is a terrible, luxurious time."

(Blatantly stolen from a Japanese advertisement I saw ).

So sad that the K-5 users are left out in the cold. Time to head out to Michael's Crafts-- those cameras aren't going to bedazzle themselves!
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I actually think Pentax is onto something with the crazy-colour-schemes...
The professionality of black DSLR's do look quite threatening to many people... I think the mad colours have the capacity to put 'subjects' more at ease (willing to smile) and thus gain the photographer better shots...
04-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #40
Zav
Pentaxian

The blue camo with some similar VFF KSO:

You are sure to get attention
04-20-2011, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gads, they look like toy cameras. Dammit, if I'm gonna spend $600+ on a camera I want it to look like a real camera! My K-r is BLACK. I would tolerate some metal (chrome, aluminum, stainless steel all show up in my old film SLRs. along with their BLACK bodies..I even have an ancient Graflex that's part wood...but it's BLACK!). Not white. Not red. Not blue. And certainly NONE of these, dagnabit!

Maybe they think these will appeal to the youngsters with a spare $600 to throw around. All I can say is Good Luck With That. Oh yeah, and Get Off My Lawn!
04-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uptheriver Quote
Oh please !

Hey ! Look at me. I have an expensive camera.
Would you like to steal it ?
Have you thought about it the other way... potential criminals will take one look at these cameras and conclude that these are for kids and can't be taken seriously... definitely a great deterrent against theft... and with such hip colors, it will definitely be a conversation piece that will bring on a smile to anyone you ask to take a photo = better street images because the subject is at ease...

Seriously I'm prepared to stick my neck out and hazard a guess most who find these new colored editions horrid are above 40 years in age, male and boringly conservative as far as color sense and color trends are concerned, precisely the buying demographic that Pentax wants to move away from. If these will attract new, younger photographers I'm all for it. For those who still don't get it, please stick with readily available black...

These color combinations are just the thing to stamp one's individuality amidst a sea of boring black cameras. The have about the same relevance as SUVs and 4 wheel drive vehicles that will never be used off-road or wearing army fatigues and going to the supermarket. Kudos to Pentax for Being Interesting and helping us to take things less seriously, something that in no small way I'm sure will help us take better images.

Last edited by creampuff; 04-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
04-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I suddenly want to sell my Kr now that it will be associated with.... this.
Please do, then the Pentax brand won't be associated with... you.
04-20-2011, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #44
Forum Member

when i visited tokyo i saw quite a few colored pentax models. a few women with a pink one, and i saw a couple of the blue models. if you have a problem with the colors they still make the black model as well. do your thing. i like my white k-x. its a nice camera. and i like how it looks. win win. dont hate.
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I quite like the Camouflage (Black Khaki) and Marble (Black × White) , there, I said it.

In all honesty Japanese consumer loves these sort of 'limited edition' merchandises and from what I heard, sells really well, good for them, why would I be offended when someone half way around the world got a interesting/absurd/outrages(whichever way you take it) colour scheme camera which happned to be made by the same company as my K-5?