Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wehavenowaves! Quote
you guys are seriously overthinking this. <deletia> i have had lots of people ask me about it. they see a different color camera and they want to know the brand or tell me it looks cool. so like it or not, these colored cameras are putting the pentax name in more mouths. <deletia>
Hmmm... you may be on to something. I never said I was a marketing guru, just a stuck-in-my-ways old geezer. I've asked my brother, chief marketing officer for a major Japanese internet commerce company, what the deal is here...but he'll probably just roll his eyes and tell me I wouldn't understand!

04-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if black is the real professional looking color...

to all the people saying the "check out my expensive camera, would you like to steal it?!" if you say BLACK is the more professional looking color, and most people associate black as the more professional looking color, don't you think your black camera is more likely to get stolen??? if people think the black one looks more professional, they probably think it looks more expensive too!!
04-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by piledon Quote
A $600 camera is NOT for the "casual camera buyer". The $99 p&s 12megapixel camera is. This is a different demographic. I don't know the Japanese market, but I'm not sure that demographic exists in the US. If it does in Japan then cool, go get 'em, sell a million of them. But to me it's simply bizarre and way off the mark.
a 600 dollar camera is for the soccer mom or dad who can't take a decent shot of her kid playing sports, or in the school play, or the baby that won't hold still for the $99 point and shoot. the KR is not for enthusiasts. the K5 is. KR is priced against the rebel T3 and the D3100 currently, not the T3i or d5100 or 60D or D7000.

The people these cameras are marketed towards aren't the kind of people that hang out at enthusiast websites like this one. you don't know how many times i've heard people say "i like that camera, but i wish it was in {insert color here}."
04-21-2011, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrrifleman Quote
the KR is not for enthusiasts. the K5 is.
I would not totally agree with that. Sometimes one's enthusiasm outstrips one's wallet.

I consider myself an enthusiast, but I'm still using my K-x which I've had for more than a year now. It's sitting at over 20,000 shutter actuations and I've got a nice collection of glass, but I just haven't felt any pressing need to upgrade my camera.

Sure, I'd love to move up to the K-5, and I probably will eventually, but for now I can't justify dropping $1500 on a new body that will do almost nothing to improve the quality of my photographs. Afterall, I'm just an enthusiast with a wife and two kids to support.

But back to the topic of the camera colors, the colored bodies of the K-x is what originally caught my attention. I was really feeling the navy blue, but then I fell in love with the white. But if somebody else finds the blue camo irresistible, then more power to them.

04-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #80

a 600 dollar camera is for the soccer mom or dad who can't take a decent shot of her kid playing sports, or in the school play, or the baby that won't hold still for the $99 point and shoot. the KR is not for enthusiasts. the K5 is. KR is priced against the rebel T3 and the D3100 currently, not the T3i or d5100 or 60D or D7000.

The people these cameras are marketed towards aren't the kind of people that hang out at enthusiast websites like this one. you don't know how many times i've heard people say "i like that camera, but i wish it was in {insert color here}."
Ah crap. I have a $600 camera and I'm not supposed to be hanging out here. Later.
04-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's also hyperbole.

The K-r focuses fine indoors in most conditions. (Which is not to say it doesn't need to be fixed for the other conditions.)
Indeed. That was intentional. In all seriousness, my K-r sees plenty of use. When I'm shooting indoors below f/2, I focus on the ears and all is well.
04-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #82
Forum Member

navy blue (urban camo), brown marble (woodland camo), and the bright green are SICK!!!! if the green was more drab it would be even better!
04-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #83
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Have you thought about it the other way... potential criminals will take one look at these cameras and conclude that these are for kids and can't be taken seriously... definitely a great deterrent against theft... and with such hip colors, it will definitely be a conversation piece that will bring on a smile to anyone you ask to take a photo = better street images because the subject is at ease...

Seriously I'm prepared to stick my neck out and hazard a guess most who find these new colored editions horrid are above 40 years in age, male and boringly conservative as far as color sense and color trends are concerned, precisely the buying demographic that Pentax wants to move away from. If these will attract new, younger photographers I'm all for it. For those who still don't get it, please stick with readily available black...

These color combinations are just the thing to stamp one's individuality amidst a sea of boring black cameras. The have about the same relevance as SUVs and 4 wheel drive vehicles that will never be used off-road or wearing army fatigues and going to the supermarket. Kudos to Pentax for Being Interesting and helping us to take things less seriously, something that in no small way I'm sure will help us take better images.
1+. Although I am over 40, male and conservative but I think the color options are great. I wouldn't like some of them but with Pentax, there is something for everyone...including boring black.

I would also stick my neck out and say that Pentax decision to expand their market with colors starting with the Km and moreso with the Kx is in part why the K5 and Kr exist today. It takes money to develop new products.

These threads start after each release. For those that have been here long enough, how many times is it followed up by a number of threads from the beginner's forum where a poster describes loving their first new dSLR in (fill in the blank) color. New members means more money. my .02$

04-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I would also stick my neck out and say that Pentax decision to expand their market with colors starting with the Km and moreso with the Kx is in part why the K5 and Kr exist today. It takes money to develop new products.
Pentax has produced usually colored and special re-designed SLR film cameras well before the K-x and colors (Pentax LX for example). So they are going back to their more successful days rather than grasping at marketing straws as some people seem to think here. Don't worry people, Pentax won't stop selling black cameras.

I don't know if I would actually ever buy a colored SLR (Okay... if I had $1700 lying around a silver K-5 would be instantly bought), but I can see benefits in marketing and some valid uses for these camo versions.
04-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My mental status aside; a few people at minimum wage, each given a few dozen cameras to wring out prior to market release may have saved a bundle.
In some cases, the QA looks as if were done by a few people who can only hold a minimum wage job.

Perhaps we should set our sights higher than that?

Jabs at minimum wage aside, QA is complex and expensive to design as well as execute.

How many use cases and test suites would you want developed to be sure that the K-5 holds up for everyone in all shooting circumstances at all times?

Let's see ..... if we have only twenty options/settings that can be only on or off, and only 10 distinct shooting circumstances that do not overlap, how many combinations do we have? Something like 10 million?

The problem probably is not the number of things tested but the ability of Pentax to figure out which cases should be tested.

Never mind. I'm not a developer, QA person, or engineer. Someone else may be free to correct me.
04-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I would not totally agree with that. Sometimes one's enthusiasm outstrips one's wallet.

I consider myself an enthusiast, but I'm still using my K-x which I've had for more than a year now. It's sitting at over 20,000 shutter actuations and I've got a nice collection of glass, but I just haven't felt any pressing need to upgrade my camera.

Sure, I'd love to move up to the K-5, and I probably will eventually, but for now I can't justify dropping $1500 on a new body that will do almost nothing to improve the quality of my photographs. Afterall, I'm just an enthusiast with a wife and two kids to support.

But back to the topic of the camera colors, the colored bodies of the K-x is what originally caught my attention. I was really feeling the navy blue, but then I fell in love with the white. But if somebody else finds the blue camo irresistible, then more power to them.
QuoteOriginally posted by piledon Quote
Ah crap. I have a $600 camera and I'm not supposed to be hanging out here. Later.
my comment was not in regards to anyones budget, or their place on this forum. you both are smart enough to realize that cameras in that price bracket (the entry level bracket) are NOT MARKETED towards enthusiasts. i'm not trying to put anyone down for owning one. heck, i want to get a KR to compliment my K7 because of it's high ISO capability. my point is that the colored versions of these cameras are GOING TO GET ALOT OF NEGATIVE RESPONSE ON AN ENTHUSIAST FORUM because entry level cameras are NOT MARKETED towards enthusiasts.

Last edited by mrrifleman; 04-22-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot a word
04-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #87

i should also add that i love the colored bodies. if i had the money, i'd probably have picked up one of those green KX bodies!!
04-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #88
Banned

my comment was not in regards to anyones budget, or their place on this forum. you both are smart enough to realize that cameras in that price bracket (the entry level bracket) are NOT MARKETED towards enthusiasts. i'm not trying to put anyone down for owning one. heck, i want to get a KR to compliment my K7 because of it's high ISO capability. my point is that the colored versions of these cameras are GOING TO GET ALOT OF NEGATIVE RESPONSE ON AN ENTHUSIAST FORUM because entry level cameras are NOT MARKETED towards enthusiasts.
Logic, reason and level-headedness? What do you think this is, real life? This is an online forum, where gut reactions and thoughtless comments are expected. Read them, laugh at them, but never, ever take them seriously. That's giving the common denominator too much credit.
04-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #89

lol, yeah. i realize after reading my first post that it did almost come across as me being a dick like "real enthusiast don't use KR! hah!" i don't wanna be THAT guy on the forum...
04-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Ouch!
Different strokes for different folks I guess. As for me, I would not be caught dead with one of these...
Well of course not...you'd be camoflauged...Duh