Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattv Quote
I agree......Why would Pentax partner with Tower Records for anything? Has anyone actually bought a CD in the last 3 years?
While I hate these as much as the next man and think they're doing nothing to help Pentax be taken seriously in Europe, remember, these are for the Japanese market. Tower Records is big out there and the Japanese love anything collectable or limited edition, whether it be cameras, CDs, jeans, watches, cars, whiskey... The US CD market is irrelevant to a Japanese company making a Japanese market special edition.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattv Quote
Or, all black or silver? Like Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Mamiya, etc.......but we will exclude the Hasselbad Ferrari special edition....
Yes. Pentax: come on, seriously. You need to stop making these colourful gimmicky things and think global. Make a Titanium K-5 or something. Leica know how to do limited editions!

Or just focus on getting a decent sales and marketing channel for the UK.

04-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote

Yes. Pentax: come on, seriously. You need to stop making these colourful gimmicky things and think global. Make a Titanium K-5 or something. Leica know how to do limited editions!
Ummm.. What do you think THIS is?

04-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
<deletia> Adding colors is an easy, cheap way to differentiate themselves from the pack for casual camera buyers. <deletia>
A $600 camera is NOT for the "casual camera buyer". The $99 p&s 12megapixel camera is. This is a different demographic. I don't know the Japanese market, but I'm not sure that demographic exists in the US. If it does in Japan then cool, go get 'em, sell a million of them. But to me it's simply bizarre and way off the mark.
04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by piledon Quote
A $600 camera is NOT for the "casual camera buyer". The $99 p&s 12megapixel camera is. This is a different demographic. I don't know the Japanese market, but I'm not sure that demographic exists in the US. If it does in Japan then cool, go get 'em, sell a million of them. But to me it's simply bizarre and way off the mark.
If they weren't selling, they wouldn't keep making different varieties. Get over it. It's working for them.

04-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, I would expect Pentax to use their scarce resources on improving / enhancing the product range - not create silly marketing diversions like these.
04-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
well, I would expect Pentax to use their scarce resources on improving / enhancing the product range - not create silly marketing diversions like these.
I was thinking along a similar line. I wonder how much better of they would be right now if they had used whatever they have spent on research and marketing for things like that, on a better QC program for the K5.
04-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #67

I'm not crazy over camo, but I love that Pentax is making cameras in a variety of colours.

04-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was thinking along a similar line. I wonder how much better of they would be right now if they had used whatever they have spent on research and marketing for things like that, on a better QC program for the K5.
You're crazy if you think the budget for these custom color schemes compares in any way to R&D or QC budgeting.
04-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #69
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
You're crazy if you think the budget for these custom color schemes compares in any way to R&D or QC budgeting.
My mental status aside; a few people at minimum wage, each given a few dozen cameras to wring out prior to market release may have saved a bundle.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-21-2011 at 03:18 PM.
04-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My mental status aside; a few people at minimum wage, each given a few dozen cameras to wring out prior to market release may have saved a bundle.
DWB seems to take issue with just about everything we say. In a manufacturing company the marketing and firmware/QA budgets are from different buckets once the project is underway and all the functions are staffed and funded. For a project in maintenance mode like the K-r they really do have nothing to do with each other.

They can do both, but I would say that the resources capable of designing silly body colors (and getting them manufactured) are far more readily available than the one, and if they're lucky two, poor slob responsible for and capable of figuring out how to modify the firmware to solve the FF problem (which I have been unable to detect on my K-r, but I haven't really tried too hard).

Yeah, I've been an engineering manager at a few computer manufacturing companies. But I am STILL entitled to my opinion on how ludicrous the K-r looks with the colored bodies (and I think that about the other solid color ones too. Harumph). But hey, different strokes for different folks, right?

I will repeat myself: if they have a market, more power to them. I want them to be successful. I don't think this is the anywhere NEAR the same degree of stupid that sunk Minolta...all my old lenses I can't convert to K - mount, rest in peace...
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Ouch!
Different strokes for different folks I guess. As for me, I would not be caught dead with one of these...
I think you'd look great with the rainbow one
04-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #72
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by piledon Quote
DWB seems to take issue with just about everything we say.......
Don't be too hard on DWB. He just likes to express an opinion as the rest of us do. It isn't his fault that he isn't right as often as the rest of us.
(Just kidding, Ben! )
04-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #73
Forum Member

you guys are seriously overthinking this. i said before i have a white K-x. and i will behonest it was my first DSLR and i would say the color was a bit of a selling point. i really based my choice on the price to features comparsion on canon/nikon/pentax entry level cameras, but i am not afraid to admit that the color sweetened the deal. and you know what i think i made the right choice. i bought the right camera for me. they are doing these crazy colors in their entry level models. if you are SERIOUS about photography you probably were going to buy the K-r anyway, you would save up for the K-5. The other point about marketing I think you are also seeing the wrong side. people notice my white camera. i have had lots of people ask me about it. they see a different color camera and they want to know the brand or tell me it looks cool. so like it or not, these colored cameras are putting the pentax name in more mouths. seems to me many members on this forum think that canon or nikon shooters look down on pentax anyway. but if you can introduce something like this that will get people into pentax in the future (EX. ME! because i will most likely keep buying pentax gear and have no intention of switching to canon or nikon) then you have really done something for the brand. its the old deal "any news is good news". now stop being bitter and keep taking photos with your black pentax.
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't be too hard on DWB. He just likes to express an opinion as the rest of us do. It isn't his fault that he isn't right as often as the rest of us.
(Just kidding, Ben! )
Well, I ain't often right but I've never been wrong!
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #75
Forum Member

typo**** "you werent going to buy the K-r"