Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member
hcarvalhoalves's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 836
I don't think they'll ever release a FF, neither do I think the majority of the userbase wants FF. Their current line of lenses shows they are committed to APS-C. It also doesn't make sense considering they have medium format available, and that's the product they really want to push on to pros.

Besides, APS-C is just Good Enough™.

04-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pembrokeshire, Wales,UK
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Sigh...do they not know that their userbase wants FF? .
Nope I disagree, not everyone wants an FF. I want a K5 at Kr weight and size with a very fast AF. I think a lot of people waould want the same.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I don't think they'll ever release a FF, neither do I think the majority of the userbase wants FF. Their current line of lenses shows they are committed to APS-C. It also doesn't make sense considering they have medium format available, and that's the product they really want to push on to pros.

Besides, APS-C is just Good Enough™.
Yep, totally agree.

woody
04-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
A full-frame P&S?
That would be hot.
04-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote

Besides, APS-C is just Good Enough™.
Emphasis on the "just"

04-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 443
Most likely the NC-1 with couple of lenses. With the very small sensor I am not that interested in the NC-1.

It is way too early for the teasers for the other camera that Pentax is rummored to be releasing later this year that wil have a 1.5 crop sensor in it (if you believe the rummors). Some rummors has it has a MICL camera and other rummors has it as a DSLR camera. I wouldn't expect any teasers for the second camera until early Fall. I kind of hope hope that it would be one of the following:
1. A high end DSLR camera (above the K-5) using the new 24MP sensor that is rumorred to be in the rumorred Nikon D400.
2. A high-end MILC that is positoned to be a mirrorless version of the K-5. So far none of the MILC cameras are high-end so there is a niche for one.
04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I don't think they'll ever release a FF, neither do I think the majority of the userbase wants FF. Their current line of lenses shows they are committed to APS-C. It also doesn't make sense considering they have medium format available, and that's the product they really want to push on to pros.

Besides, APS-C is just Good Enough™.
Perhaps not majority, but a fairly good margin. A recent poll on this forum (albeit not statistically stringent) showed that about 40% of this forum's userbase wants FF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/117723-what-do-we-realy-want.html

I do appreciate the medium format option, but to me that does not replace full frame. All of my photographic friends (being only 4 or 5 mind you) chose Nikon/Canon mostly so that they had an upgrade path to full-frame. Will they ever get there? Maybe or maybe not, but that's besides the point. They still locked onto Nikon/Canon because they had that upgrade path if they wanted it. There's something inviting in knowing that a manufacturer can meet long-term goals/dreams. While I doubt this attitude is a correct approach to buying photographic equipment, I cannot deny it's existence and strong influence. For Pentax, switching to the 645D requires a whole different set of lenses, thus acting more like a system swap than the more desirable upgrade path. Hence, in my opinion, having a full-frame option would bring quite a surge in the sale of entry and pro-level APS-C cameras, on top of satisfying ~40% of the existing fan base on this forum. Perhaps they would lose money on the initial FF camera, but the rise in overall sales and users would more than compensate in the long term.

Just my 2 cents.

Would I ever buy a Pentax FF? you bet!

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 04-24-2011 at 05:48 PM.
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #22
New Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
Any Chinese forum members able to read whats on the sign next to the covered camera?
it is just saying" new product to be announced"
04-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,977
Sigh .... ! :ugh:

Just now that I have my K5, which I think is the best camera I have ever owned, the teasing starts again.

Interesting "wanna-be-rumours" though.

JP

04-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Perhaps not majority, but a fairly good margin. A recent poll on this forum (albeit not statistically stringent) showed that about 40% of this forum's userbase wants FF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/117723-what-do-we-realy-want.html

I do appreciate the medium format option, but to me that does not replace full frame. All of my photographic friends (being only 4 or 5 mind you) chose Nikon/Canon mostly so that they had an upgrade path to full-frame. Will they ever get there? Maybe or maybe not, but that's besides the point. They still locked onto Nikon/Canon because they had that upgrade path if they wanted it. There's something inviting in knowing that a manufacturer can meet long-term goals/dreams. While I doubt this attitude is a correct approach to buying photographic equipment, I cannot deny it's existence and strong influence. For Pentax, switching to the 645D requires a whole different set of lenses, thus acting more like a system swap than the more desirable upgrade path. Hence, in my opinion, having a full-frame option would bring quite a surge in the sale of entry and pro-level APS-C cameras, on top of satisfying ~40% of the existing fan base on this forum. Perhaps they would lose money on the initial FF camera, but the rise in overall sales and users would more than compensate in the long term.

Just my 2 cents.

Would I ever buy a Pentax FF? you bet!
The problem is this forum represents less than 5% of the Pentax customer, so 40% of the people who took the poll is statistically irrelevant. Pentax has sold more red K-x's than they will K-5's. Pentax is just now returning to profitability. They don't have the resources to invest in a new body and to redevelop a lens line-up. They are having trouble keeping up with demand for their current product offering.

There are 20+ people who will buy a $500.00 mirror-less body for every 1 who will buy a $2,000 FF body.

A weather sealed 36x24 mirror-less body would be interesting. Some DA* Limited pancake lenses and you have some serious quality that fits in a coat pocket.
04-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Vylen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,248
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'd bet it's the previously rumored microscopic and APS-C mirrorless cameras. Sigh...do they not know that their userbase wants FF? Alas, I guess the lack of "D FA" lenses/patents should give me a hint.
I don't.

It would mean buying new lenses which would probably cost more than the current DA range.
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I don't.

It would mean buying new lenses which would probably cost more than the current DA range.
OK, I edited the post to say "a good portion of the userbase".
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The problem is this forum represents less than 5% of the Pentax customer, so 40% of the people who took the poll is statistically irrelevant. Pentax has sold more red K-x's than they will K-5's. Pentax is just now returning to profitability. They don't have the resources to invest in a new body and to redevelop a lens line-up. They are having trouble keeping up with demand for their current product offering.

There are 20+ people who will buy a $500.00 mirror-less body for every 1 who will buy a $2,000 FF body.

A weather sealed 36x24 mirror-less body would be interesting. Some DA* Limited pancake lenses and you have some serious quality that fits in a coat pocket.
I agree that the other 95% of users who don't use this forum would be less inclined by full frame on average, but a significant portion would still remain. As for the 20+ people who would buy the $500 camera, I agree, but I think even having FF as an option would bring that to 30+.

Also, agree on the 36x24 (full-frame) mirrorless idea! I'd love to see a camera like that.
04-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I agree that the other 95% of users who don't use this forum would be less inclined by full frame on average, but a significant portion would still remain. As for the 20+ people who would buy the $500 camera, I agree, but I think even having FF as an option would bring that to 30+.

Also, agree on the 36x24 (full-frame) mirrorless idea! I'd love to see a camera like that.
I would like to see Pentax take the steps needed to release a professional quality FF body. Pentax really needs to get their QC issues under control. Other than the AF issues of the 1D3 I don't remember Canon or Nikon ever releasing a "pro" body that had any serious QC issues. One of the things that adds to the price is the extensive QC measures. Penatx needs to improve SDM (both speed and dependability). The Canon USM is top of the line and Sigma HSM is probably second. SDM has a bad reputation (deserved or not).

I just see a lot of issues that Pentax needs to take care of before FF is really an option. Can they put a FF on the market for $2,000 and bring out the 5 or 6 lenses that they would need right away.

Glass plays a major role in selecting a FF platform. My 35L, 85L and 135L are the main reasons I am still tied to the Canon. Pentax would have to put some serious glass on the market before I would consider a FF Pentax body.
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #29
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would like to see Pentax take the steps needed to release a professional quality FF body. Pentax really needs to get their QC issues under control. Other than the AF issues of the 1D3 I don't remember Canon or Nikon ever releasing a "pro" body that had any serious QC issues. One of the things that adds to the price is the extensive QC measures. Penatx needs to improve SDM (both speed and dependability). The Canon USM is top of the line and Sigma HSM is probably second. SDM has a bad reputation (deserved or not).

I just see a lot of issues that Pentax needs to take care of before FF is really an option. Can they put a FF on the market for $2,000 and bring out the 5 or 6 lenses that they would need right away.

Glass plays a major role in selecting a FF platform. My 35L, 85L and 135L are the main reasons I am still tied to the Canon. Pentax would have to put some serious glass on the market before I would consider a FF Pentax body.
Yeah I agree that there are some QC issues that need working out. As for SDM, hopefully the new DC motor will be more competitive (as initial reports indicate).

What do you think of your Canon L glass versus the FA Limited line?
04-24-2011, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,511
Geez guys dont get too excited its obviously a new line of microfiber lens cleaning cloths! As can be seen, plain as day.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
blog, camera, hope, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photo, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revolution starts in WI jeffkrol General Talk 3 04-22-2011 12:46 PM
One who starts with Pentax... indranama Welcomes and Introductions 3 04-15-2011 08:43 PM
Pentax UK officially starts K-r and K-5 rebate program adamfogerty Pentax News and Rumors 13 11-11-2010 11:30 AM
How does the camera "know" where the first frame starts? pbo Pentax Medium Format 9 07-08-2009 08:23 AM
DPreview launches lens review section - starts with Pentax (and some other misc brand mattdm Pentax News and Rumors 14 01-30-2008 04:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top