Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think they'll ever release a FF, neither do I think the majority of the userbase wants FF. Their current line of lenses shows they are committed to APS-C. It also doesn't make sense considering they have medium format available, and that's the product they really want to push on to pros.

Besides, APS-C is just Good Enough™.

04-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Sigh...do they not know that their userbase wants FF? .
Nope I disagree, not everyone wants an FF. I want a K5 at Kr weight and size with a very fast AF. I think a lot of people waould want the same.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I don't think they'll ever release a FF, neither do I think the majority of the userbase wants FF. Their current line of lenses shows they are committed to APS-C. It also doesn't make sense considering they have medium format available, and that's the product they really want to push on to pros.

Yep, totally agree.

woody
04-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
A full-frame P&S?
That would be hot.
04-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #19

Emphasis on the "just"

04-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Most likely the NC-1 with couple of lenses. With the very small sensor I am not that interested in the NC-1.

It is way too early for the teasers for the other camera that Pentax is rummored to be releasing later this year that wil have a 1.5 crop sensor in it (if you believe the rummors). Some rummors has it has a MICL camera and other rummors has it as a DSLR camera. I wouldn't expect any teasers for the second camera until early Fall. I kind of hope hope that it would be one of the following:
1. A high end DSLR camera (above the K-5) using the new 24MP sensor that is rumorred to be in the rumorred Nikon D400.
2. A high-end MILC that is positoned to be a mirrorless version of the K-5. So far none of the MILC cameras are high-end so there is a niche for one.
04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps not majority, but a fairly good margin. A recent poll on this forum (albeit not statistically stringent) showed that about 40% of this forum's userbase wants FF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/117723-what-do-we-realy-want.html

I do appreciate the medium format option, but to me that does not replace full frame. All of my photographic friends (being only 4 or 5 mind you) chose Nikon/Canon mostly so that they had an upgrade path to full-frame. Will they ever get there? Maybe or maybe not, but that's besides the point. They still locked onto Nikon/Canon because they had that upgrade path if they wanted it. There's something inviting in knowing that a manufacturer can meet long-term goals/dreams. While I doubt this attitude is a correct approach to buying photographic equipment, I cannot deny it's existence and strong influence. For Pentax, switching to the 645D requires a whole different set of lenses, thus acting more like a system swap than the more desirable upgrade path. Hence, in my opinion, having a full-frame option would bring quite a surge in the sale of entry and pro-level APS-C cameras, on top of satisfying ~40% of the existing fan base on this forum. Perhaps they would lose money on the initial FF camera, but the rise in overall sales and users would more than compensate in the long term.

Just my 2 cents.

Would I ever buy a Pentax FF? you bet!

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 04-24-2011 at 05:48 PM.
04-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by vincechu Quote
Any Chinese forum members able to read whats on the sign next to the covered camera?
it is just saying" new product to be announced"

04-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigh .... ! :ugh:

Just now that I have my K5, which I think is the best camera I have ever owned, the teasing starts again.

Interesting "wanna-be-rumours" though.

JP
04-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Perhaps not majority, but a fairly good margin. A recent poll on this forum (albeit not statistically stringent) showed that about 40% of this forum's userbase wants FF: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/117723-what-do-we-realy-want.html

I do appreciate the medium format option, but to me that does not replace full frame. All of my photographic friends (being only 4 or 5 mind you) chose Nikon/Canon mostly so that they had an upgrade path to full-frame. Will they ever get there? Maybe or maybe not, but that's besides the point. They still locked onto Nikon/Canon because they had that upgrade path if they wanted it. There's something inviting in knowing that a manufacturer can meet long-term goals/dreams. While I doubt this attitude is a correct approach to buying photographic equipment, I cannot deny it's existence and strong influence. For Pentax, switching to the 645D requires a whole different set of lenses, thus acting more like a system swap than the more desirable upgrade path. Hence, in my opinion, having a full-frame option would bring quite a surge in the sale of entry and pro-level APS-C cameras, on top of satisfying ~40% of the existing fan base on this forum. Perhaps they would lose money on the initial FF camera, but the rise in overall sales and users would more than compensate in the long term.

Just my 2 cents.

Would I ever buy a Pentax FF? you bet!
The problem is this forum represents less than 5% of the Pentax customer, so 40% of the people who took the poll is statistically irrelevant. Pentax has sold more red K-x's than they will K-5's. Pentax is just now returning to profitability. They don't have the resources to invest in a new body and to redevelop a lens line-up. They are having trouble keeping up with demand for their current product offering.

There are 20+ people who will buy a $500.00 mirror-less body for every 1 who will buy a $2,000 FF body.

A weather sealed 36x24 mirror-less body would be interesting. Some DA* Limited pancake lenses and you have some serious quality that fits in a coat pocket.
04-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd bet it's the previously rumored microscopic and APS-C mirrorless cameras. Sigh...do they not know that their userbase wants FF? Alas, I guess the lack of "D FA" lenses/patents should give me a hint.
I don't.

It would mean buying new lenses which would probably cost more than the current DA range.
04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
I don't.

It would mean buying new lenses which would probably cost more than the current DA range.
OK, I edited the post to say "a good portion of the userbase".
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The problem is this forum represents less than 5% of the Pentax customer, so 40% of the people who took the poll is statistically irrelevant. Pentax has sold more red K-x's than they will K-5's. Pentax is just now returning to profitability. They don't have the resources to invest in a new body and to redevelop a lens line-up. They are having trouble keeping up with demand for their current product offering.

There are 20+ people who will buy a $500.00 mirror-less body for every 1 who will buy a $2,000 FF body.

A weather sealed 36x24 mirror-less body would be interesting. Some DA* Limited pancake lenses and you have some serious quality that fits in a coat pocket.
I agree that the other 95% of users who don't use this forum would be less inclined by full frame on average, but a significant portion would still remain. As for the 20+ people who would buy the $500 camera, I agree, but I think even having FF as an option would bring that to 30+.

Also, agree on the 36x24 (full-frame) mirrorless idea! I'd love to see a camera like that.
04-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I agree that the other 95% of users who don't use this forum would be less inclined by full frame on average, but a significant portion would still remain. As for the 20+ people who would buy the $500 camera, I agree, but I think even having FF as an option would bring that to 30+.

Also, agree on the 36x24 (full-frame) mirrorless idea! I'd love to see a camera like that.
I would like to see Pentax take the steps needed to release a professional quality FF body. Pentax really needs to get their QC issues under control. Other than the AF issues of the 1D3 I don't remember Canon or Nikon ever releasing a "pro" body that had any serious QC issues. One of the things that adds to the price is the extensive QC measures. Penatx needs to improve SDM (both speed and dependability). The Canon USM is top of the line and Sigma HSM is probably second. SDM has a bad reputation (deserved or not).

I just see a lot of issues that Pentax needs to take care of before FF is really an option. Can they put a FF on the market for $2,000 and bring out the 5 or 6 lenses that they would need right away.

Glass plays a major role in selecting a FF platform. My 35L, 85L and 135L are the main reasons I am still tied to the Canon. Pentax would have to put some serious glass on the market before I would consider a FF Pentax body.
04-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would like to see Pentax take the steps needed to release a professional quality FF body. Pentax really needs to get their QC issues under control. Other than the AF issues of the 1D3 I don't remember Canon or Nikon ever releasing a "pro" body that had any serious QC issues. One of the things that adds to the price is the extensive QC measures. Penatx needs to improve SDM (both speed and dependability). The Canon USM is top of the line and Sigma HSM is probably second. SDM has a bad reputation (deserved or not).

I just see a lot of issues that Pentax needs to take care of before FF is really an option. Can they put a FF on the market for $2,000 and bring out the 5 or 6 lenses that they would need right away.

Glass plays a major role in selecting a FF platform. My 35L, 85L and 135L are the main reasons I am still tied to the Canon. Pentax would have to put some serious glass on the market before I would consider a FF Pentax body.
Yeah I agree that there are some QC issues that need working out. As for SDM, hopefully the new DC motor will be more competitive (as initial reports indicate).

What do you think of your Canon L glass versus the FA Limited line?
04-24-2011, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Geez guys dont get too excited its obviously a new line of microfiber lens cleaning cloths! As can be seen, plain as day.