Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Not without an updated K-mount. The K-mount spec doesn't currently allow for focal lengths smaller than 10mm. Anything below that can be used, but will not be registered by the camera.
Is that not just a software limitation? Or are owners of Sigma 8-16mm/Samyang 8mm not receiving the FOV expected by those lenses on APS-C?

I was under the impression that it was the primer, which is about as easy of a software fix as they come.

Regardless an ultra-wide from Pentax would make sense, but so would a lot of lenses not currently offered.

Edit: it occured to me that the lens electrical pin layout could be limiting the range of transmitted focal lengths. Is this the case? If so, perhaps they could use the lens ID to override how the contacts are read?

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 04-30-2011 at 09:46 PM.
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #77
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Is that not just a software limitation? Or are owners of Sigma 8-16mm/Samyang 8mm not receiving the FOV expected by those lenses on APS-C?

I was under the impression that it was the primer, which is about as easy of a software fix as they come.
I think it's a signaling issue based on the pin layout and the signals each pin can generate. Users of Sigma 8-16mm and Samyang 8mm lenses still get the full field of view, but the camera stops registering the focal length beyond 10mm. As far as I know, this would only affect things like SR (which is kinda irrelevant at that focal length). But Pentax is unlikely to ever release a lens which is out of spec with the camera.
05-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
I think it's a signaling issue based on the pin layout and the signals each pin can generate. Users of Sigma 8-16mm and Samyang 8mm lenses still get the full field of view, but the camera stops registering the focal length beyond 10mm. As far as I know, this would only affect things like SR (which is kinda irrelevant at that focal length). But Pentax is unlikely to ever release a lens which is out of spec with the camera.
Interesting...perhaps they can circumvent the issue by utilizing the lens ID as a special case.
Thanks for the explanation HoundTooth.
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
As I have noted elsewhere, public humility is not exactly thick upon the ground in Japanese corporate culture.
Oftentimes it isn't thick upon the ground in these forums, either.

05-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Oftentimes it isn't thick upon the ground in these forums, either.
If directed at me, a palpable hit indeed!
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #81

I think Pentax has plenty of small leneses to cover most situations. personally I'd like to see some big lenses 100 - 400 zoom, 400 and 500mm primes etc. Pentax has got the cameras now, but not the big lenses. In addition a decent reliable fast quiet motor like the USM/Silent wave etc etc.

woody
05-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If directed at me, a palpable hit indeed!
Nothing personal, I assure you; I was thinking of the forum culture in general, myself included. Have a great day.