Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #76
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Not without an updated K-mount. The K-mount spec doesn't currently allow for focal lengths smaller than 10mm. Anything below that can be used, but will not be registered by the camera.
Is that not just a software limitation? Or are owners of Sigma 8-16mm/Samyang 8mm not receiving the FOV expected by those lenses on APS-C?

I was under the impression that it was the primer, which is about as easy of a software fix as they come.

Regardless an ultra-wide from Pentax would make sense, but so would a lot of lenses not currently offered.

Edit: it occured to me that the lens electrical pin layout could be limiting the range of transmitted focal lengths. Is this the case? If so, perhaps they could use the lens ID to override how the contacts are read?


Last edited by jeffshaddix; 04-30-2011 at 09:46 PM.
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #77
Banned




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Williston, VT
Posts: 268
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Is that not just a software limitation? Or are owners of Sigma 8-16mm/Samyang 8mm not receiving the FOV expected by those lenses on APS-C?

I was under the impression that it was the primer, which is about as easy of a software fix as they come.
I think it's a signaling issue based on the pin layout and the signals each pin can generate. Users of Sigma 8-16mm and Samyang 8mm lenses still get the full field of view, but the camera stops registering the focal length beyond 10mm. As far as I know, this would only affect things like SR (which is kinda irrelevant at that focal length). But Pentax is unlikely to ever release a lens which is out of spec with the camera.
05-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #78
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
I think it's a signaling issue based on the pin layout and the signals each pin can generate. Users of Sigma 8-16mm and Samyang 8mm lenses still get the full field of view, but the camera stops registering the focal length beyond 10mm. As far as I know, this would only affect things like SR (which is kinda irrelevant at that focal length). But Pentax is unlikely to ever release a lens which is out of spec with the camera.
Interesting...perhaps they can circumvent the issue by utilizing the lens ID as a special case.
Thanks for the explanation HoundTooth.
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #79
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
As I have noted elsewhere, public humility is not exactly thick upon the ground in Japanese corporate culture.
Oftentimes it isn't thick upon the ground in these forums, either.

05-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #80
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Oftentimes it isn't thick upon the ground in these forums, either.
If directed at me, a palpable hit indeed!
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #81
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pembrokeshire, Wales,UK
Posts: 152
I think Pentax has plenty of small leneses to cover most situations. personally I'd like to see some big lenses 100 - 400 zoom, 400 and 500mm primes etc. Pentax has got the cameras now, but not the big lenses. In addition a decent reliable fast quiet motor like the USM/Silent wave etc etc.

woody
05-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #82
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If directed at me, a palpable hit indeed!
Nothing personal, I assure you; I was thinking of the forum culture in general, myself included. Have a great day.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
blog, camera, hope, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photo, rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revolution starts in WI jeffkrol General Talk 3 04-22-2011 12:46 PM
One who starts with Pentax... indranama Welcomes and Introductions 3 04-15-2011 08:43 PM
Pentax UK officially starts K-r and K-5 rebate program adamfogerty Pentax News and Rumors 13 11-11-2010 11:30 AM
How does the camera "know" where the first frame starts? pbo Pentax Medium Format 9 07-08-2009 08:23 AM
DPreview launches lens review section - starts with Pentax (and some other misc brand mattdm Pentax News and Rumors 14 01-30-2008 04:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top