Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Could someone answer this very basic question please: what is 1 / 2, 33 inches?
I have never seen a fraction expressed this way before. Thanks.
Decimals are written with a comma instead of a point in some countries. It's a 1/2.33" sensor, i.e. the same size as the lowliest point & shoot.

04-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Imo 'based on k mount' does not mean uses k mount.
A micro k mount with adapters for plain k mount would fit the comments as well.
Exactly my thoughts.
04-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
wll
Veteran Member

Lets hope it has >>>>>

A good articulating screen, as I'm sure it will have very good video also.

I wonder what sensor it will have ?

wll
04-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K5 sensor is ok to me
as for SR, it would add bulk to inlude it in the body.
We'll see if they treat SR differently when it comes to mirrorless.

04-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My question is it is possible if they make a mirrorless camera that can mount Pentax Lenses without using an adapter?
04-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
My question is it is possible if they make a mirrorless camera that can mount Pentax Lenses without using an adapter?
I don't mind an adapter as long as it doesn't affect performance in any way. You wouldn't want to loose AF on those Limiteds. I'm looking at my K1000. Compared to a K10D it's pretty compact, maybe an inch thick, with just a 1/2" bezel at the front to make room for the mount. Pentax could make their EVIL the same size, a tiny adapter like that won't be a problem, especially if they make it the same shape as the K1000 bezel. It would be pretty stylish...
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
K5 sensor is ok to me
as for SR, it would add bulk to inlude it in the body.
We'll see if they treat SR differently when it comes to mirrorless.
If the upcoming Nex - c3 (3c?) has the same sensor as the k-5, then surely Pentax will have no problem doing the same... hopefully.

Then make it the size and feel and look of a k1000 or even ME Super and it will be awesome. With jeztastic's suggestion, a seamless adaptor for K-mount lenses that would work and look seamlessly would be doubly awesome.

Last edited by leadbelly; 04-28-2011 at 10:08 AM.
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Why are you so surprised?
The fact there will be 2 mirrorless cams has been known (to me at least) for past 2 months...
I'm just not too sure if they'll manage to deliver them on time (just see the delays on silver DA ltds...)

Yes, there is no new information. For months now the rumors has it that there will be two new cameras. The first out will be in the Spring and will be the retro 110 inspired toy camera with several lenses for it. The rumors has a March release but it still isn't out. The rumor has te second camera being released in the Fall (September now) and will be a APC-S sensor. Rumors has it being either a mirrorless camera or a DSLR camera. It looks like this Pentax employee has it being a mirrorless camera and it can take exsisting K-lenses. But then it could be a new high-end camera with the new 24-mp sensor that is going to be use in ther Nikon D400 (if rumors are right). This will give Pentax a traditional 3-rier camera system.

It sounds very promising. My guess is that the camera will be leased early next year and we will not know much about it until late in 2010 (edit 2011, I guess I was living in the past).

Still little facts and a lot of rumors doesn't stop us from talking about it.

Last edited by DaveBlack; 04-28-2011 at 11:32 AM.
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
It sounds very promising. My guess is that the camera will be leased early next year and we will not know much about it until late in 2010.
I guess you mean "late 2011"? i hope you do
04-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It better not be standard K-mount. The registration distance will kill the size. Now if they make adapters with AF and metering to K-mount, that'd be sweet.
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I have handled my precious silver *ist DS and one thing struck me. A mirrorless APS-C with K-mount should be possible, while still retaining a compact size. If there's no mirror, the possibilities with optics are endless. What about non-retrofocus wide angles which can be sunken into the body? For sure the optics can be made smaller when a larger part of it goes into the body.
04-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting.....
04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #28
axl
Veteran Member

I do see use of APSC mirrorless but I'm not sure how much of advantage it'll be in size.
Now the ideas going through my head are:
a) Pentax version of A SLT system. Transluescent mirror of some sort....
b) X100 with K mount. I.e. optical VF with paralax and back screen linked to image. Btw, didn't Pentax patent the technology of overlayed EVF on OVF? Talks about this were going as far back as first rumors of K-7 or so....
c) normal SLR styling but without mirror box.

Now b would be the ideal one IMO. c could work. If you look at the size and styling of old SLRs. Sort of K1000 or thereabouts with EVF and K mount. No need for mirror...and a... I hope not.

Anyway, as I said, b scenario is most plausible to me... Take K-5 sensor... heck even K-x/r sensor would do. Slap it into body styled in old fashion rangefinder way, add small parallax OVF with EVF overlay on one side. Remove handgrip as we know it on DSLRs. Add some classic dials etc, 3in fixed screen.. voila.... X100 killer is born. With interchangable lenses it would destroy X100 if IQ would be good (and with K-x sensor it would be). And that body with DA21 wouldn't be really much bigger than X100. Yes, bit thicker but I'd take it over fixed lens camera any day!

my 2p
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The words from offical Pentax. Not rumors.
I heard this "rumor" from guy with direct links to Pentax UK 2 months ago... so far he was never wrong with his rumors....
04-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

If their upcoming mirrorless APS-C is going to be replacing the K-5 then I'd be fine if it stayed the same size or similar (due to the K-mount). There are advantages of having no mirror apart from a smaller size after all. Plus, I have big hands. I don't want a tiny camera - even if it comes with a grip, a small camera with a grip is still small.