Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Anton Melnikov (Pentax representative) says that journalists interpret his words in wrong way. It's not official info....Sad....
Kind of hard to mis-interepret "It is worth noting that this is just a guess", isn't it?

04-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #32
Banned

Two mirrorless systems from Pentax this year ? Well this year I have two mirrorless cameras for my Pentax lenses, the GH1 and GH2 .

04-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #33
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Kind of hard to mis-interepret "It is worth noting that this is just a guess", isn't it?
They've changed the text of article already.:ugh:
04-29-2011, 03:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Two mirrorless systems from Pentax this year ? Well this year I have two mirrorless cameras for my Pentax lenses, the GH1 and GH2 .
That's cool. I take it there's no autofocus tho?

04-29-2011, 03:36 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery
Thanks!

1/2.33", so this means about half an inch?

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Decimals are written with a comma instead of a point in some countries. It's a 1/2.33" sensor, i.e. the same size as the lowliest point & shoot.
04-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

Not much fun manual focusing an FA 50. I always found it frustrating to say the least. The other thing is that your angle of view changes. Who really wants their 50mm lens to be shooting with angle of view like a 100mm lens.

That is the biggest issue if Pentax uses a significantly different sensor size. They will need a whole new series of lenses in order to take care of focal lengths for it. Sure, you can mount an FA 50 or a DA 40, but who really wants to, if they end up acting like telephoto lenses?
04-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
And it's cropped!

I find EVF based cameras total ass to use to be honest, used them and can't stand them.

04-29-2011, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
1/2.33", so this means about half an inch?
Unfortunately, not even close. Sensor sizes are named according to some old video terminology which doesn't correspond directly to size. You can read about it here: Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The new mirrorless has the same size sensor as the Optio X90, very slightly larger than the smallest sensor (1/2.5") shown in this comparison:

Pentax should have gone to at least a 2/3 sensor for this new camera (i.e. half the diagonal of 4/3 but larger than Canon G12 and Panny LX5).

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-29-2011 at 04:56 AM.
04-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #39

Much obliged Rondec, that makes better sense now. If this is the case they are going to have work some magic. Although I have to admit I once owned a Canon S3IS which I think had similar sensor size, and took some excellent photos including a macro i enlarged to A3 (I have samples I can post).

From my limited understanding, if they pump up the MP count to hard does this trash the images? ( Even so I would rather use a quality sensor to get the best out of the few quality lenses I own. Perhaps the proof of the pudding is in the eating. But good fun to speculate nonetheless.
04-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Pumping up the MP count at a given technological state (I mean no other change) and size, yes, it will lower quality (noise and DR) but increases resolution (if lens resolves well enough).

However, The 15MP K5 sensor is way better than the 10MP K10 sensor. Really, it depends on the tech advancement of the sensor.
04-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
I only use them in video mode and the K-5 does not have AF in video mode. I use my K-7 for stills.
04-29-2011, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Although I have to admit I once owned a Canon S3IS which I think had similar sensor size, and took some excellent photos including a macro i enlarged to A3 (I have samples I can post).
A small sensor can capture good images in good conditions. The difference between small and large appears quickly when conditions become challenging, i.e. high contrast or low light. Small sensors can't keep up, so you end up with things like a blown white sky instead of beautiful blue and ugly blotchy grain at higher ISO's.

Hopefully the new Pentax small sensor mirrorless will allow use of bounce and off-camera flash, which can make up somewhat for poor ISO performance. This is not a camera I have any interest in though. I don't see the allure of interchangeable lenses on a compact camera. The built-in zoom lens is not the main limitation of a compact. The biggest problem by a long shot is sensor size.
04-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A small sensor can capture good images in good conditions. The difference between small and large appears quickly when conditions become challenging, i.e. high contrast or low light. Small sensors can't keep up, so you end up with things like a blown white sky instead of beautiful blue and ugly blotchy grain at higher ISO's.

Hopefully the new Pentax small sensor mirrorless will allow use of bounce and off-camera flash, which can make up somewhat for poor ISO performance. This is not a camera I have any interest in though. I don't see the allure of interchangeable lenses on a compact camera. The built-in zoom lens is not the main limitation of a compact. The biggest problem by a long shot is sensor size.
Exactly. I don't see what the point of what is basically a point and shoot camera, but with interchangeable lenses, except that then Hoya can sell lenses separately for more than they would otherwise. Depth of field is going to be huge with any lens on this type sensor anyway. Why not just get a nice point and shoot and be done with it.

They are fine in good light, but suffer significantly in poor light, but sticking a lens like the FA 50 on it isn't going suddenly make such a sensor magically perform like even a middle of the line APS-C sensor does currently. In addition, their dynamic range just really isn't good even in the best of situations.
04-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In addition, their dynamic range just really isn't good even in the best of situations.
latest 10mp 1/1.6x"-1.7x" will beat 6mp APS-C of *istDx era @ base ISO and almost reach 10mp generation sensors of K10D era... at base ISO of course...
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
And it's cropped!

I find EVF based cameras total ass to use to be honest, used them and can't stand them.
I find EVF in GH2 to be a good one for a non action shooting