Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

HOYA Buys Pentax

Looks like our Pentax Badged cameras are the last of their era as HOYA is buying Pentax, and Pentax will cease to exists as of March of next year...

Press Releases:
Pentax Imaging - Pentax Press Release
HOYA CORPORATION

Not sure what to make of all this...

11-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is actually old news now. There's no way of determining whether our current cameras are the last of the Pentax line or whether Hoya will continue with the venerable Pentax name. Either way, it's out of our hands. Enjoy your camera for many years to come.
11-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
...the new company will optimize its business portfolios, focusing on the life care, optics, information technology, eye care, imaging system areas.
... is a D-SLR an 'imaging system'? D-SLRs are notably absent if not.

edit: then again, there's NED BUNNELL 's Blog post Oct 31 assuring customers of the the persistence of the brand and products. ...these camera are such hits, can't image they're the end of the line.

Anyway, there's another thread with 3 pages, so yep, this is a dup.

Last edited by m8o; 11-01-2007 at 08:45 AM.
11-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for Bunnell's blog. I'd lost that.

11-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mitchkramez Quote
Looks like our Pentax Badged cameras are the last of their era as HOYA is buying Pentax, and Pentax will cease to exists as of March of next year...

Press Releases:
HOYA CORPORATION

WRONG, Pentax brand will stay, just under different leadership. Pentax from the looks of things will be stronger than ever and it looks like they intend on becomming a major player again.

I had my serious doubts and voiced them for the last 6 months, but I'm very satified that Pentax is going to kick some A#s.

wll
11-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i HOPE that they can get more lenes out to market expshly long FAST glass
11-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i HOPE that they can get more lenes out to market expshly long FAST glass
i agree 100%... they have some great and proven designs from years of making them. why they just don't reintroduce them is beyond me..
11-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

HOYA Buys Pentax
And in other news, apparently "BC" is changing to "AD". We'll all have to buy new watches.

11-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i agree 100%... they have some great and proven designs from years of making them. why they just don't reintroduce them is beyond me..
Penatx made lenes before Hoya has made the before why duse not some one pull out the blue prents and start making them a gen. Hoya i hope can get the prdution end up. hell get a contract with a 3rd party like Sigma to pinch in.

hay evin bring back the older seris stuff like the M and A sears lenes there where a lot of good lenes there also, go retro lol
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hoya bought Pentax in August

Press Releases:
HOYA CORPORATION

Hoya BOUGHT Pentax in August. However, it remained a seperate corporate entity. Hoya just owned most of the stock in Pentax Corp.

This announcement simply says that Hoya is now going to merge the Pentax Corp. into the Hoya Corp. There will no longer be any shares of Pentax Corp. Pentax will no longer exist as a corporate entity, just as Chevrolet does not exist as a corporate entity, seperate from General Motors.

Hoya has stated from the very beginning of the purchase talks, early this year, that they intend to continue the Pentax brand name. So, you should be seeing new cameras with the Pentax name on them, for the foreseeable future.

In march, the Pentax CORPORATION will cease to exist, but the Pentax BRAND NAME will live on.

Paul Noble
11-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
And in other news, apparently "BC" is changing to "AD". We'll all have to buy new watches.
That's got the be the funniest thing that I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh

I've seen it suggested before Roy, and I do agree with you.

In my opinion they should take a look on this forum, and study our pictures.
Between all of us we probably have most of the affordable lenses from screw mount on, and it doesn't take long to figure out which ones work better on digital.

Forget just looking through the Pentax Gallery, there are several quality lenses not listed there (for example, all M42, and K-mount lenses)

The lenses with the best image results are the ones they should re-introduce.

Plus there's several Non Pentax brand lenses, no longer made that they could probably improve upon as well.
11-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Re-introducing old designs

There are a couple of reasons that I can think of, offhand, why that is not as easy as it seems.

First, they would need to re-engineer those lenses for the new digital cameras. This would include SDM in-lens AF motors. That is going to be a big marketing issue in the future. Not all lenses would need SDM, but some would.

Second, they may not have the production capacity to produce more lenses than they already have. You can't just rent a warehouse and begin producing lenses. People need to be hired and trained.

Thirdly, since the lenses would have at least some level of re-design, if only cosmetic, there would be some tooling costs. Until the deal with Hoya was finalized in August, I'm sure that Pentax management would have been very leary of spending much money.

Such lenses would probably be recognized in the market for what they are: rehashes of old designs. While we all know that Pentax has had some fantastic "old" designs in the past, the market requires "New and improved".

But then, what do I know?

Paul Noble
11-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
That's got the be the funniest thing that I've read all day. Thanks for the laugh
Thanks, but credit where it's due; the watch bit is courtesy of Eddie Izzard
11-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good reads guys, I was being a little "light hearted" in my statement above.. sorry if it was taken too seriously. FTR: I couldn't be happier with my K10D... and the availability of fun old lenses! hooray for pentax!