Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pompous Moronox Quote
I had a short discussion with my sources at Pentax last night, and what I was told is that they did indeed have plans for a mirrorless system, and had even made a simple prototype, but this new product range was cancelled quite early on.
...and turned over to Kenko? 8^)

Instead they're pushing for two new (APS-C) DSLRs, with hopes of getting a consumer version out for christmas market and a prosumer next spring. The consumer version will use the same sensor K-5 uses, but what the prosumer will use is still open, but will almost certainly be a Sony sensor as well.
Huh. That would certainly leave a wide gulf between their p&s line and the DSLR line. As it is today. Thanks for sharing.

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Cheap camera with a K-5 sensor? Uninteresting?

I think you and me are gonna have differing opinions on that.
I think that by choosing the name "Pompous Moronox" he was kinda aiming for that outcome. (c8

05-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The K-r was not greeted with much excitement in reviews. Rather like damning with faint praise. The general idea is that it's a nice camera but is no longer an amazing bargain but instead is just a decent Pentax.

Time to get things exciting again at the entry level.

I expected timing like this for conventional DSLR bodies but we still need some excitement in another market, whether it's EVIL or bridge or (sounds crazy) a photographer's P&S like a G12 or a decent travel zoom. Even Fuji fans don't seem to be altogether happy with the 550 and even Sony fans are turning on the HX9V. We won't discuss the Nikon entry. Just read Amazon reviews.

And Panasonic fans are happy enough with the TZ-20/ZS-10 but really want a one-stop improvement in the sensor - ISO 800 looking like the current ISO 400.

I think that market is now open if Pentax can combine a new small Sony sensor with Pentax's better software.

That's significant work but perhaps some was done early with the mirrorless investigation. Whoever pulls that off gets my next camera purchase. (I think the K-5 will last me for a while ...)
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish that Pentax would get on and make a good competitor for the likes of the G12/P7000 and XZ1/LX5. I don't believe we need mirrorless but like someone said, theres a HUGE gap between P&S and dSLR in the Pentax lineup.
05-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #19
Banned

I had a short discussion with my sources at Pentax last night, and what I was told is that they did indeed have plans for a mirrorless system, and had even made a simple prototype, but this new product range was cancelled quite early on. Instead they're pushing for two new (APS-C) DSLRs, with hopes of getting a consumer version out for christmas market and a prosumer next spring. The consumer version will use the same sensor K-5 uses, but what the prosumer will use is still open, but will almost certainly be a Sony sensor as well.

Not too interesting
If they come out with a prosumer version with rumored 24mp sensor and full manual video mode like my GH2 but with 1080p60 I would buy it. Crop sensor (EX-Tele-Con ) mode would work great in 1080p mode with a 24mp sensor.

05-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did Sony released (yet) a sensor allowing 1080p60 ?
I thnk not. Badly needed though.
05-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If they come out with a prosumer version with rumored 24mp sensor and full manual video mode like my GH2 but with 1080p60 I would buy it. Crop sensor (EX-Tele-Con ) mode would work great in 1080p mode with a 24mp sensor.
And with H.264 compression, please! PLEASE!
05-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This Pompous Moronox kind of reminds me of that Simon guy that was only around for a day or two last fall...

05-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
And with H.264 compression, please! PLEASE!
Indeed...as it stands I have to use VirtualDub to convert to X264 on import. Such a waste of space on the card...
05-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
Cheap camera with a K-5 sensor? Uninteresting?

I think you and me are gonna have differing opinions on that.
I won't be surprised, since that sensor is already on the D5100.
Interesting to see what will be on the advanced amateur DSLR though. Likely the rumoured 24mp from Sony if they stick to APS-C.
05-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The only new Pentax camera that has any leaked information is the NC-1 which appears to be a toy interchangeable lens camera made ofr the Japan market.

Not much has leaked about the other camera except that it will have a APS-C sensor (if your believe the rumor). It could be a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Then is it going to be position below the K-r for the intro-market or is it going to be position between the K-r and K-5 in the mid-market position. Then again it could be another dslr so there will be three dslr cameras in the line-up. It just could be a high-end camera using the soon to be released 24 MP sensor in a k-20 size body with a swivel screen.
05-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
wll
Veteran Member

Just my Op.

The new MILC camera from Pentax must be very, very, high end.

It may be above the K-5, I don't know ... But I bet it is above the K-r.

It should have very good video, an articulating screen, (if the new camera does not have this, IMHO, they are dead in the water).

This new camera by Pentax better have all the bells and whistles and must be WR as well.

The market share is 4/3rds as it stands now, so Pentax with an APS-C sensor , must produce a very cool small high quality camera.

If Pentax makes a (me Too) camera, they may be dead in the water. Nikon is betting on a smaller sensor , smaller camera, and with technology going off the charts, a high quality image small sensor, (for most folks) Nikon may be right !

I am hoping Pentax makes a APS_C camera that is WR and is of the highest quality, I want it to win every award for image quality and ?.

Pentax, IMHO your next camera, the MILC may be the breaking point of Hoya/ Pentax.

wll
05-14-2011, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

I had a short discussion with my sources at Pentax last night, and what I was told is that they did indeed have plans for a mirrorless system, and had even made a simple prototype, but this new product range was cancelled quite early on. Instead they're pushing for two new (APS-C) DSLRs, with hopes of getting a consumer version out for christmas market and a prosumer next spring. The consumer version will use the same sensor K-5 uses, but what the prosumer will use is still open, but will almost certainly be a Sony sensor as well.

Not too interesting
Quite expected actually.

September 2008: K-m
September 2009: K-x
September 2010: K-r
September 2011: successor to K-r unless Pentax rhythm is modified by the tsunami's consequences (hence may be the consideration on Christmas market).

September 2006: K10D
January 2008 (+16 months): K20D
May 2009 (+16 months): K-7
September 2010 (+16 months): K-5
January 2012 (+16 months): successor to K-5 with the same remark as above.
05-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Pentax, IMHO your next camera, the MILC may be the breaking point of Hoya/ Pentax.
Something tells me that the consumer camera division doesn't have a lot of bearing on Hoya, which if I read their reports correctly has profits of $US1B a quarter...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Quite expected actually.

September 2008: K-m
September 2009: K-x
September 2010: K-r
September 2011: successor to K-r unless Pentax rhythm is modified by the tsunami's consequences (hence may be the consideration on Christmas market).

September 2006: K10D
January 2008 (+16 months): K20D
May 2009 (+16 months): K-7
September 2010 (+16 months): K-5
January 2012 (+16 months): successor to K-5 with the same remark as above.
Nice work, there!
05-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Did Sony released (yet) a sensor allowing 1080p60 ?
I thnk not. Badly needed though.
They have 1080p60 on their latest small sensor super-zoom.

QuoteQuote:
Full HD 1080/60p
Record crystal clear movies at the highest resolution available with capabilities for 60p in 1080 Full HD. This provides stunning, fast motion video with less distortion for playback on your Blu-ray Disc players, Sony PlayStation3 systems and compatible PCs and HDTVs.

Amazon.com: Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX100 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar 30x Optical Zoom Lens, 3D Sweep Panorama and Full HD 1080 Video: Camera & Photo
05-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep but afaik not on aps-c/FF sensor which a pity.
Hope they fix that soon enough.