Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #1906
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I also had the chance to speak with Jim Malcolm yesterday.
Ooo.

Dropping names is so sexy!

06-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #1907
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Maybe they all are under the NDA now.
I have a feeling I was 'round 1.5'. After round 1 had ended but before round 2 began, or else at the start of round 2. I could be wrong.
06-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #1908
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Ooo.

Dropping names is so sexy!
I think most of the US-based 'regulars' on the forum have spoken to him.
06-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #1909
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Photography as a craft is doomed, replaced by pseudo-science - because people who should know better are helping with this nonsense.
But so far, these sites only mention the BS focal and BS aperture, fortunately the lenses being appropriately named.
You sound like a charcoal painter who's just discovered Tri-X.

06-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #1910
Pentaxian

Guess again.
But then, maybe you wouldn't mind using "equivalent hours" based on Mars' rotation, just because some thinks it's fancy. You don't seem to mind doing silly, irrelevant conversions, and you're even trying to ridicule those who won't join. How would you call someone who's still using a time based on his homeworld?
06-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #1911
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most of the US-based 'regulars' on the forum have spoken to him.
Learned anything? Did he share anything?
Did he ask anything or was looking for user's opinions about anything Pentax Ricoh related?
06-02-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #1912
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Learned anything? Did he share anything?
Did he ask anything or was looking for user's opinions about anything Pentax Ricoh related?
He said a lot of things I'd heard before in public interviews. The one thing I hadn't heard was that Pentax was increasing it's market share. He reiterated that Pentax had said they have a full-frame camera in development.

I'm have some stuff written down somewhere, I'll try to bring it out and summarize.

He was curious as to why I am 'leaving' Pentax and purchasing Nikon products, so we talked for a while about that, as well.
06-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #1913
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I know I fell into the "Is this 50mm lens REALLY 50mm when used on my camera?" and the "Since this 30mm lens is designed for ASPC is is really 30mm or is it actually 20mm?" thing at first. Yeah, get the equivalency out and simply say here's how wide FOV and how shallow the DOF is when using it on whatever format. That would be better. That way no one gets confused about if the lens is really the lens that they think they have.
A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens. It does not matter what size the sensor is.

I prefer to shoot with 70-135mm lenses. It does not matter if it was my 5D w/85L, 135L or my Contax 645 with 80mm or the K-5 with the Sigma 85mm. That focal length is an excellent focal length. I will adjust my working distance (FoV) in order to use the lenses that properly renders my subject. I can adjust my aperture to get the DoF that I want. What I can't do is make a DA* 55mm lens render like an FA* 85mm lenses even if the 55mm gives me the equivalent FoV or DoF. The DA*55mm lens will never be as good of a portrait lens as a 77mm LTD or a FA* 85mm lenses.

I think people get to caught up in FoV and DoF equivalences. How a given focal length renders my intended subject is my fist concern. If I have constraints on my working distance or DoF concerns, those are secondary in importance.

06-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #1914
Pentaxian

He said a lot of things I'd heard before in public interviews. The one thing I hadn't heard was that Pentax was increasing it's market share. He reiterated that Pentax had said they have a full-frame camera in development.

I'm have some stuff written down somewhere, I'll try to bring it out and summarize.

He was curious as to why I am 'leaving' Pentax and purchasing Nikon products, so we talked for a while about that, as well.
That's good news, thanks for sharing and please, do write that summary. Hopefully it's not just the US.
So, now it's those who are "leaving" - that would make it phase II.
06-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #1915
Pentaxian

Photography as a craft is doomed, replaced by pseudo-science - because people who should know better are helping with this nonsense.
DOF is not equal to COC - As an instructor in advanced photographic technique I'm amazed about how little photographers understand about their craft. I can see how much of it can be considered to be psudo science by the un-temepered mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
but nature has not moved on as there are trillions of insects that live on this planet quite successfully. Projecting your values onto the world isn't an answer, or even a perception, it's a psychological disease.
That is harsh, Bossa. The Mantis shrimp has vision considerably more complex and advanced than ours, it uses compound eyes. However in environments outside of its watery habitat its highly evolved vision would, in all probability be a hindrance. Have you ever wondered why so many larger animals have eyes so very similar to our own? Arthropods have distinct limitations on how big they can become - in fact, the bigger they get the more inefficient their respiration systems become. Compound eyes are an ideal solution because even at very small scales they can be more efficient and due to the sheer number required they have redundancy built in - so if one ommatidium gets damaged the insect doesn't lose much of its vision and by virtue of this, compound eyes are mechanically more durable than a single complex eye*.

* Bear in mind i'm a toxicologist - not an entomologist. If you want to find out about substances where a few well placed nanograms can be fatal to a human - i'm your guy. So when it comes to insects, i'm far from an expert.
06-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #1916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
DOF is not equal to COC - As an instructor in advanced photographic technique I'm amazed about how little photographers understand about their craft. I can see how much of it can be considered to be psudo science by the un-temepered mind.
Being completely different notions, how could they ever be equal? Of course, DOF is computed for a certain COC, but I don't see how they could be confused.
However, I was calling pseudo-science computing bogus equivalence things like the BS focal and BS aperture, Some people would go as far as to call them "real".
06-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #1917
Pentaxian

I was calling pseudo-science computing bogus equivalence things like the BS focal and BS aperture, Some people would go as far as to call them "real".
like saying a 50mm f/1.2 lens on APS-C is a 75mm f/1.8? or a 300mm f/5.6 8X10 lens is equivalent to a 50mm f/1.2 on a 35mm system?
06-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #1918
Pentaxian

Like saying a 50mm lens is in reality a 75mm.
06-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #1919
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Like saying a 50mm lens is in reality a 75mm.
Except for complete newbies, I have never heard of anyone believing a lens change focal length depending on sensor size.
06-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #1920
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Except for complete newbies, I have never heard of anyone believing a lens change focal length depending on sensor size.
When I was a complete newb people on another forum led me to believe that a 20mm lens was really a 30mm lens on ASPC (I was looking at the Sigma 30 f/1.4 and the Sigma 20 f/1.8) unless the lens was made specifically for ASPC, then it would be the focal length advertized. So, I was led to believe the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 (works for full frame) would give me the EXACT same FOV that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Yeah, I actually believed it at the time. Thankfully I'm older and wiser now!