Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #2461
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Glass cockpits... aren't those some sort of optical viewfinders?
That's so old school.

My next camera is going to be a drone camera.

08-12-2013, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #2462
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Prince George, BC Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 644
QuoteQuote:
Moreover, you're forgetting the third option. Pentax did patent a hybrid VF. A very cool alternative option that would give Pentax something unique again.
Something like the Fuji X100s ...I really like that concept on my Fuji. However, I use mine in the OVF mostly, but there are times when I switch to the EVF, mostly for close ups where parallax is a problem. But on an SLR you don't have parallax. I suppose the superimposing data on the viewfinder would be where the benefit of this system would show.
08-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #2463
Pentaxian
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Watch out for September 5th.
New Pentax camera(s). And world's fastest AF.
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Wow, that's actually what they promised. They stated they wanted to be the best in AF next. I hope that blazing AF means it's accurate as well. Accuracy is MUCH more important then speed imho.
A camera that had very fast and accurate AF, especially (but not only) using AF-C, with nothing else worse than the K-5IIs, would eliminate the main reason I delete photos after shooting an airshow, motor sports, or birds in flight. It would greatly increase the number of "keepers".

That would be worth a lot. (Anything else would be a bonus). If it were guaranteed, I would pre-order now if I could!
08-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #2464
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
- Pentax for OVF people = evolutionary dead end.
- Sony for EVF people. = Now and has a future + endless possibilities.
Let's play mathematics. How many years it would need for EVFs to match the resolution and frame rate of the good OVFs?
Because OVF does not have any "framerate", or colour limitation, video lag, whatever, it would take EVF an eternity to come close to it. Thus, instead of using OVFs which deliver exacting need for the human eye, right now, companies will spend billions to do the same thing with other means, like the EVF?
That is really a fantastic way to spend limited resources.

Digital "revolution" in many ways is very much all about a) the re-invention of things that already work well or b) dumbing down of the same. I seldom see c) enhancement of old without getting rid of it. And I think those technologies are our best bets for future that makes sense.

But if we think the new must totally substitute the old, we better start pulling out eyes and arms from our babies in nurseries, and start replacing them with EVFs, and robotic arms. Because the maintenance of our future generations will be "cheaper" as such.

08-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #2465
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Let's play mathematics. How many years it would need for EVFs to match the resolution and frame rate of the good OVFs?
Because OVF does not have any "framerate", or colour limitation, video lag, whatever, it would take EVF an eternity to come close to it. Thus, instead of using OVFs which deliver exacting need for the human eye, right now, companies will spend billions to do the same thing with other means, like the EVF?
That is really a fantastic way to spend limited resources.

Digital "revolution" in many ways is very much all about a) the re-invention of things that already work well or b) dumbing down of the same. I seldom see c) enhancement of old without getting rid of it. And I think those technologies are our best bets for future that makes sense.

But if we think the new must totally substitute the old, we better start pulling out eyes and arms from our babies in nurseries, and start replacing them with EVFs, and robotic arms. Because the maintenance of our future generations will be "cheaper" as such.
How about looking through a viewfinder and being able to see whatever whitebalance you choose
Or even black and white. Or being able to frame a picture in your viewfinder when its really dark instead of taking your best guess. And as far as taking an "eternity" for viewfinders to catch up, what about TVs....they don't have infinite refresh rates and we still are able to watch the garbage without caring that we aren't seeing a perfectly continuous image stream. Besides, there are soildiers right now as we speak wearing IR goggles in total darkness. If its good enough to fight wars, I think its good enough to snap photos of junior at thw park on the swings.
08-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #2466
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
... If its good enough to fight wars, I think its good enough to snap photos ...
For you, maybe. And that is why I don't think you have grasped the meaning of what I wanted to say.
08-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #2467
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
For you, maybe.
For lots of other of other photographers that shoot with X100's, XPros, XE1s, SLTs, RX100s, K-01s etc.
Oh and the countless other folks that rely on what are essentially EVFs for plenty of other applications.

But then again, maybe i did misunderstand you
08-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2468
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
For lots of other of other photographers that shoot with X100's, XPros, XE1s, SLTs, RX100s, K-01s etc.
Oh and the countless other folks that rely on what are essentially EVFs for plenty of other applications.

But then again, maybe i did misunderstand you
X-Pro1, X100 and X100s have best of both worlds both OVF and EVF. It it really is an epitome of what a great camera and great thinking can be. I love the concept.

Now, XE1 is made for the workings of today's economics, or, a dumbed down, cheaper, entry option.

My thought were around innovation there is still plenty of ideas possible in combining good pentaprism and EVF, which not a single DSLR maker has tried. Why? Because how DSLR market currently works: it is a duopoly, that is in state of balance and mutual mirroring. The bet is on safe and steady, nothing really groundbreaking or disturbing, and that is what defines users of Nikon and Canon too.

Only possible way to bring something new to the "evolutionary dead-end OVFs" is that a a small player like Pentax comes in, like a stray neutron, and collides with old concepts and infusing them with some new momentum. Pentaprism and EVF combo are possible, and can be amazing. Eye opening, which is exactly what Fuji did and why people love those X100s.

08-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #2469
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,530
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Fuji did and why people love those X100s.
they must also love the extra interpolation used in the red/blue channels too....
08-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #2470
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
they must also love the extra interpolation used in the red/blue channels too....
Fuji can revert back to "normal" easily. I'm one of those who loves the output of the X100, not so much of the X100s.
I think Fuji tried to make too many unique propositions as possible in the very short period of time, and some of them aren't quite anything exquisite and can lead to a potential problem.
08-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #2471
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
X-Pro1, X100 and X100s have best of both worlds both OVF and EVF. It it really is an epitome of what a great camera and great thinking can be. I love the concept.

Now, XE1 is made for the workings of today's economics, or, a dumbed down, cheaper, entry option.

My thought were around innovation there is still plenty of ideas possible in combining good pentaprism and EVF, which not a single DSLR maker has tried. Why? Because how DSLR market currently works: it is a duopoly, that is in state of balance and mutual mirroring. The bet is on safe and steady, nothing really groundbreaking or disturbing, and that is what defines users of Nikon and Canon too.

Only possible way to bring something new to the "evolutionary dead-end OVFs" is that a a small player like Pentax comes in, like a stray neutron, and collides with old concepts and infusing them with some new momentum. Pentaprism and EVF combo are possible, and can be amazing. Eye opening, which is exactly what Fuji did and why people love those X100s.
Ok...then I did misunderstand, my bad
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #2472
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,400
Breaking news:
"Ricoh Imaging promises new hi-end rumours, possible new company name change".
08-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #2473
Pentaxian
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Let's play mathematics. How many years it would need for EVFs to match the resolution and frame rate of the good OVFs?
Because OVF does not have any "framerate", or colour limitation, video lag, whatever, it would take EVF an eternity to come close to it. Thus, instead of using OVFs which deliver exacting need for the human eye, right now, companies will spend billions to do the same thing with other means, like the EVF?
Caution: there are two different meanings of "frame rate". There is the refresh rate of the viewing, and the drive rate of the shooting (as in "fps", which is obviously a frame rate). This may make statements like "OVF does not have any "framerate"" confusing to someone who is thinking of drive rate. I was just taken aback by it!

One potential advantage of EVFs is that, because they don't have to move a mirror, they may be able to achieve more frames per second. (Other factors will apply, but not the need to move a mirror).
08-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #2474
Pentaxian
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Digital "revolution" in many ways is very much all about a) the re-invention of things that already work well or b) dumbing down of the same. I seldom see c) enhancement of old without getting rid of it. And I think those technologies are our best bets for future that makes sense.
Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "digital revolution".

Where does "replacement of typewriters by word processors and printers" fit? Where does "replacement of film as a recording method by photo-sensitive sensors" fit?

I would have considered those to be part of a digital revolution that isn't either "a" or "b". Or perhaps we have a different view of what "already work well" means - perhaps that is a subjective evaluation where people will validly differ.
08-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #2475
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Let's play mathematics. How many years it would need for EVFs to match the resolution and frame rate of the good OVFs?
Because OVF does not have any "framerate", or colour limitation, video lag, whatever, it would take EVF an eternity to come close to it. Thus, instead of using OVFs which deliver exacting need for the human eye, right now, companies will spend billions to do the same thing with other means, like the EVF?
I think it's more reasonable to ask; what does it take before you can't notice any difference in resolution and frame rate between EVF and OVF?

I'm pretty sure you don't use the full potential of OVF, with speed of light and "unlimited" resolution.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, k-5, k-7, k-7/k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, reason, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speculation: What if Pentax did not go FF but rather a 1.3x? brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 08-13-2013 10:36 PM
Any speculation on how long... Tom S. Pentax K-5 10 12-16-2010 09:19 PM
K-x price speculation SylBer Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-13-2010 12:29 PM
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
speculation about FA lenses on FF DSLR lpfonseca Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-05-2009 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top