Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #2521
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,708
Original Poster
Who thinks we see an announcement by then end of the year?
Who thinks a Spring announcement is what is planned?

09-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #2522
Veteran Member
theperception2008's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Łódź, Poland and Riverside, California, U.S.A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 488
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Who thinks we see an announcement by then end of the year?
Who thinks a Spring announcement is what is planned?
I think we will have atleat one new camera announced before the end of the year to replace the K-5II/s and another one in next year. but that's just business sense. If Ricoh doesn't I would be surprised because that kinda leaves Pentax with an aging sensor in it's top tier camera. I'm thinking one high level APS-C and a 645DII with new sensor and faster processor as it is about time to replace the Prime II engine. Just my .02
09-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #2523
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Who thinks we see an announcement by then end of the year?
Who thinks a Spring announcement is what is planned?
I think it's 50:50 whether we will see a K5 sucessor before the end of the year. Nothing Ricoh has done so far makes me think they are prioritising K-mount bodies/lenses R&D, if anything the opposite seems true.
09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #2524
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think it's 50:50 whether we will see a K5 sucessor before the end of the year. Nothing Ricoh has done so far makes me think they are prioritising K-mount bodies/lenses R&D, if anything the opposite seems true.
To me, this new processor from Fujitsu gives some reasonable hope.
I dare to presume the almost endless wait was for this new processor to come, so the new concepts can come to life.
Fingers crossed!

09-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #2525
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think it's 50:50 whether we will see a K5 sucessor before the end of the year. Nothing Ricoh has done so far makes me think they are prioritising K-mount bodies/lenses R&D, if anything the opposite seems true.
Well we have the renewal of the DA Ltds and the re-release of the roadmap. Whilst these are substantial they are at least indicative.

If Pentax aren't prioritising k-mount bodies and lenses in R&D then they're not doing any R&D at all unless it's just on the Q and 645 mounts - or a new mount - all of which sound unlikely.
09-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #2526
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,118
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well we have the renewal of the DA Ltds and the re-release of the roadmap. Whilst these are substantial they are at least indicative.
But indicative of what? Them not wanting to waste R&D on K-mount, so they buy some time with some updated cosmetics?


QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If Pentax aren't prioritising k-mount bodies and lenses in R&D then they're not doing any R&D at all unless it's just on the Q and 645 mounts - or a new mount - all of which sound unlikely.
Why is that unlikely? Ricoh clearly stated to grow the professional part of the brand. Which has always been the 645.
09-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #2527
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But indicative of what? Them not wanting to waste R&D on K-mount, so they buy some time with some updated cosmetics?
That they need the DA Limiteds, long enough to make it worth updating them?

Speculations about "not wanting to waste R&D on K-mount" are completely baseless, and false.
09-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #2528
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,708
Original Poster
Since being acquired by Ricoh I really don't even have a guess. Hoya seemed to be on a firm product schedule.

I think the K-5 line stays in production with updates and we see a new higher spec'ed K-3 ASP-C body.

Hopefully we see Pentax update more of their lenses with HD coatings and introduce a faster/improved SDM.

Can Pentax pull it off and have product ready to ship before the holidays?

09-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #2529
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,103
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Since being acquired by Ricoh I really don't even have a guess. Hoya seemed to be on a firm product schedule.
With declining lens announcements, postponing/cancelling products and no DSLR product as soon as they found a buyer.

Don't worry, Ricoh has a plan
09-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #2530
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But indicative of what? Them not wanting to waste R&D on K-mount, so they buy some time with some updated cosmetics?
Indicative of longer term support for the K-mount. Otherwise why bother updating them at all if they only intend to stop supporting the K-mount in a year or so's time?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why is that unlikely? Ricoh clearly stated to grow the professional part of the brand. Which has always been the 645.
The 645 is going to be vastly lower volume than the K-mount. I would be surprised if the 645D brought more profit as a whole than Pentax's K-mount line. Shocked even.
09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #2531
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The 645 is going to be vastly lower volume than the K-mount. I would be surprised if the 645D brought more profit as a whole than Pentax's K-mount line. Shocked even.
For Pentax before Ricoh, the 645D was a hobby project.
Now for Ricoh, it seems their entire camera business is a hobby project.
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #2532
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,066
I doubt that, but the earlier the better for those who have been waiting like eternity

09-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #2533
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,066
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
For Pentax before Ricoh, the 645D was a hobby project.
Now for Ricoh, it seems their entire camera business is a hobby project.
So true.

09-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #2534
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
For Pentax before Ricoh, the 645D was a hobby project.
Now for Ricoh, it seems their entire camera business is a hobby project.
Well somehow that even sounds right.

With the takeover Pentax had 1900 employees and that number maybe even went down a bit over time. With Ricoh having 107.000 employees in total one could call it a hobby.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2013/snapshots/6822.html

So it better perform up to the demand level to continue.
09-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #2535
TZH
Senior Member
TZH's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well somehow that even sounds right.

With the takeover Pentax had 1900 employees and that number maybe even went down a bit over time. With Ricoh having 107.000 employees in total one could call it a hobby.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2013/snapshots/6822.html

So it better perform up to the demand level to continue.
100,000 Ricoh employees are working on this:
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, k-5, k-7, k-7/k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, reason, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speculation: What if Pentax did not go FF but rather a 1.3x? brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 08-13-2013 10:36 PM
Any speculation on how long... Tom S. Pentax K-5 10 12-16-2010 09:19 PM
K-x price speculation SylBer Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-13-2010 12:29 PM
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
speculation about FA lenses on FF DSLR lpfonseca Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-05-2009 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top