Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is there anything else to want/need for a K-5 successor or is it just AF?

Coult there be a more advanced flash in the body? All brands at the time make the same kind of onboard flash. Coult it be possible to have it stronger, like flashpower 20 (instead of 13 it is now) and make it adjustable in power output in steps (p-TTL, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64) and give it some kind of swiffle head.

Wouldn't that be a great future?
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
lets talk crappy flash control and the need for ttl instead
You are right, so I just bring up my idea again, since no-one has noticed it but you.

05-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are right, so I just bring up my idea again, since no-one has noticed it but you.
Apparently nobody but me here shoots primarily old mf primes
05-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #258
Pentaxian

Apparently nobody but me here shoots primarily old mf primes
Well look at my lensline, so I don't.
05-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #259
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentauser Quote
D7000 AF compared to K-5 isn't better, we made some tests with friends.
Totally agree.
I shot two events in low light where my colleague shot with his D7k (a dinner event and a church wedding).
Few things were apparent to me when viewing the shots afterward.
1. D7K AF wasn't that fast nor accurate as ppl like to assume and perform self flagellation over. In fact more of the K5 shots were better focused.
(This is now K5 and I'd readily admit that on a K7, it might have been a different story)

2. K5 noise 'looks nicer'. Smoother and finer in grain. Better for pushing in PP if necessary.

05-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
power output in steps (p-TTL, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64)
That would actually make an on-board flash useful. I don't expect a built-in flash to have swivel capability, but I believe that the Olympus EPL line can do this, so why not a DSLR.

As far as old MF lenses, the real issue remains the crippled mount. Time to go, Pentax. Even if it's just in an entry-level model or a mirrorless.
05-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Totally agree.
I shot two events in low light where my colleague shot with his D7k (a dinner event and a church wedding).
1. D7K AF wasn't that fast nor accurate as ppl like to assume and perform self flagellation over. In fact more of the K5 shots were better focused.
(This is now K5 and I'd readily admit that on a K7, it might have been a different story)

2. K5 noise 'looks nicer'. Smoother and finer in grain. Better for pushing in PP if necessary.
I was asked to shoot a play dress rehearsal a month ago. I asked a friend with a D7000 to shoot with myself (k5). She shot 400+ pics from the left side of the stage and I shot about 600+ from the right side. I then went through all 1000 images and chose the ones to be displayed in the lobby. She had a lower acceptance rate of pictures than I, but it wasn't the fault of the D7000, she had less experience in shooting theatre and still lacked full knowledge of her camera, IMO. When i suggested basic settings to her, she didn't know how to put her ISO on a auto basis, for example, but i thought that Nikon had something equivalent to the TAv. She started out with 20,000 iso which was way too noisy, then shifted to 10,000 iso which worked fine for her. I had auto iso on to a max of 12,800 iso. We were only printing to 8x10", so LR3.4 NR worked fine in treating some of hers and some of mine. I didn't notice any difference in the ease of processing her photos or mine, but then I was in a hurry to get them selected, processed, printed and hung before opening night the next day.

I've previously co-hosted an hdr field trip for our camera club, and between that experience and this theatre stuff, i've now come across 5 Nikon owners who didn't know where to find stuff in their menus. I'm no expert on the Nikon system, but it may well be true that the Pentax menus are a bit more intuitive. Can't say for sure because my data collection isn't very scientific
05-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #262
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've previously co-hosted an hdr field trip for our camera club, and between that experience and this theatre stuff, i've now come across 5 Nikon owners who didn't know where to find stuff in their menus. I'm no expert on the Nikon system, but it may well be true that the Pentax menus are a bit more intuitive. Can't say for sure because my data collection isn't very scientific

I"ve moved to the K5 from the K10D, and I'm certainly getting vastly better results on a consistent basis. I'm not sure if its because the menu's are better, the camera is better, or that I'm getting more experience, but I'm inclined to think that the proliferation of buttons on the K5 is a positive thing. I find it cumbersome to fiddle with the menus when I'm in the middle of a shoot, and everyone around thinks that there is something 'wrong' if you are digging through the menus.

I think the fact that you can manage most of the important functions via a button combination is a very useful improvement.
05-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #263
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax is the first to have a waveform monitor setting for use with video and even for use with still photos. Using a waveform monitor you can see where in the picture you have clipping in the highlights. Histograms are pretty lame in comparison.
And yes, 1/250 flash sync would be nice for use with my studio lights. It is one of the features I really liked about my old PZ-1/PZ-1P (Z-1/Z-1P) cameras.

05-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #264
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I was asked to shoot a play dress rehearsal a month ago. I asked a friend with a D7000 to shoot with myself (k5). She shot 400+ pics from the left side of the stage and I shot about 600+ from the right side. I then went through all 1000 images and chose the ones to be displayed in the lobby. She had a lower acceptance rate of pictures than I, but it wasn't the fault of the D7000, she had less experience in shooting theatre and still lacked full knowledge of her camera, IMO. When i suggested basic settings to her, she didn't know how to put her ISO on a auto basis, for example, but i thought that Nikon had something equivalent to the TAv. She started out with 20,000 iso which was way too noisy, then shifted to 10,000 iso which worked fine for her. I had auto iso on to a max of 12,800 iso. We were only printing to 8x10", so LR3.4 NR worked fine in treating some of hers and some of mine. I didn't notice any difference in the ease of processing her photos or mine, but then I was in a hurry to get them selected, processed, printed and hung before opening night the next day.

Nice observations.
Because of the large user base there does seem to be quite a number of new users who buy into the Nikon brand for the sake of it, thereafter staying in their own little pool of understanding of other brands.
I seem to notice that in my local forums.
When tasked to list the good points on their system, it very often lacking with lame points like :
1. Superior Lenses over all brands (w/o any knowledge that every brand has very notable ones as well as bad ones)
2. More lens choices (as if all the fast lenses were free for user buying Nikon and that they would need 10mm to 1000mm focal lengths)
3. Feels solid (while in fact all high end bodies of any brand feels solid); Worse case some compare a D7K as more solid to a full mag alloy body of a K5.

The Nikon way to TAv is M mode with 'auto' ISO IIRC.
05-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #265
Pentaxian

Agreed, and if history is anything to go by next generation will have improved AF, it seems to be one of the standard improvements

lets talk crappy flash control and the need for ttl instead
Good idea ! Sync : 1/250 !!!!

Excellent !

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
As far as old MF lenses, the real issue remains the crippled mount. Time to go, Pentax. Even if it's just in an entry-level model or a mirrorless.
That would be nice !
05-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #266
Forum Member

Nice observations.
Because of the large user base there does seem to be quite a number of new users who buy into the Nikon brand for the sake of it, thereafter staying in their own little pool of understanding of other brands.
I seem to notice that in my local forums.
forget abt it if people want to spend their money that way, who are we to judge?

just let the pictures speak for itself.
05-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #267
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung NX series is all first generation so expect rapid improvements until the system matures. The 14MP sensor used in the K-7/NX10/NX11 is said to be out of production (the last run was used in the NX11). Samsung has already starting production on the 18MP so it will find its way into something pretty soon.

I would love to see a weather sealed Pentax version of the NX10.
The rumored 36MP square format Samsung sensor is also pretty interesting. A MF mirror-less would be very tempting.
05-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #268
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Totally agree.
However I can get a D7000 w/18-105 VR for C$1449 and a K-5 w/18-135 WR for $1949, both before tax.

Pentax may be near par with AF, but not at a reasonable price. It seems that Pentax makes a big effort to catch up, and then cannot price it right.
05-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #269
Veteran Member

1/250 sync would be awesome, although being able to fire HSS without having a pttl flash on camera would be nice too =)
honestly, the number one reason i love pentax is cause they make bodies that feel awesome in my hands, as long as they keep up the awesome ergonomics, i'll probably keep sticking with them for life

anywho, onto my wishlist:
HSS enabled in some menu rather than by sticking a pttl thing on my body (so i can use cheap radio triggers with HSS)
faster sync speed
dual SD card slots would be nice
DA* 70-200 f/2.8 (i enjoy that extra bit of reach over the 50-135)
different video codec

and finally....
a K-x battery grip (pretty please?)

things that aren't on my wishlist simply cause i assume they're all part of camera evolution:
better DR/ISO/color depth/resolution/etc
faster AF
manual video controls
larger buffer/newer processor
05-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
However I can get a D7000 w/18-105 VR for C$1449 and a K-5 w/18-135 WR for $1949, both before tax. Pentax may be near par with AF, but not at a reasonable price. It seems that Pentax makes a big effort to catch up, and then cannot price it right.
First you comparing lenses in different price range
Look Here for best price on K-5 inclusing tax
Pentax K-5 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca