Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #2716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Anyway, I doubt that memory found on a grip, accessed via a limited pin count connector, could be faster than the tightly integrated buffer from the same circuit board.
Nope. You are right. The further memory is the slower access time is. All connections should be the shortest possible for speed and the P.S. beefier!!

RuiC

09-19-2013, 12:40 PM - 7 Likes   #2717
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 speculation

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Well, based on my K-01 experience:

1. No mirror slap, so you can use lower shutter speeds hand-held,
which is great in low light.

2. You can get precise manual focusing, even with a lens at f/1.2,
which is great in low light. (Did I say that already?)

3. CDAF focuses accurately with lenses like the Tamron 17-50,
which are hard to get adjusted properly for PDAF on a DSLR.

4. You can use lenses that would foul the mirror on a DSLR.

5. You can photograph from angles and places
where you couldn't get your head behind the eyepiece of a viewfinder.

YMMV.
This issue is definitely a matter of YMMV.

1. The K-5 and II series has barely any mirror slap. The mechanism is so smooth there is no discernible effect on either handholding or tripod shooting without the 2 second shutter delay.

2. The K-5 II is brilliantly and consistently accurate even when focusing through the dark and small OVF at night or indoors. Of course, there is also LV on the camera, which works well as an EVF and is just as good at nailing focus on this camera.

3. None of my lenses, including the Tamron ones, have needed any fine AF adjustment on my K-5 IIs.

4. There aren't any K-mount lenses I would like to use but cannot on my K-5 IIs.

5. That's what LV is for. I use it perhaps 5-10% of the time for those high/low angles and on the K-5 II/s it is fast, accurate and easy to use.

It may sound like I'm harping on about how great the K-5 II is, but in so many ways, this is the APS-C camera that so many pentaxians were waiting for, ever since the K10D. Now that it's here, all we want now is a D800 competitor.

We can be helplessly discontent, striving for the next development seems to pervade our human condition. Whilst this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does make us forget the excellent developments we have available to us this very day, which is capable of so much, but the capability has not yet been tapped into.

Ash.
09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #2718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
but in so many ways, this is the APS-C camera that so many pentaxians were waiting for,
My k-5 went to the shop (and is still there) so somehow a new k-5IIs ended up at my door. It was so cute I had to keep it....

Anyway, I agree. If it had not been named the k-5II it would almost be a different camera. The fit/finish, general construction, auto-focus, and so on are noticeably better than the k-5. Side by side they look almost identical but when you pick them up it looks like a different company made them. Which fits very well with my experience with Ricoh in the copier business. No big obvious changes but if they can make it better they do. At least in the copier side they have had a very low tolerance for defects, standards are high. Which was not always the case with Pentax, who has occasionally had really brilliant products but they have not always been as focused on the little details that make a product really elegant.

The k-5 was built just fine. The k-5IIs looks like it was built by people who really pride themselves on it being the best they can build.
09-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #2719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My k-5 went to the shop (and is still there) so somehow a new k-5IIs ended up at my door. It was so cute I had to keep it....

Anyway, I agree. If it had not been named the k-5II it would almost be a different camera. The fit/finish, general construction, auto-focus, and so on are noticeably better than the k-5. Side by side they look almost identical but when you pick them up it looks like a different company made them. Which fits very well with my experience with Ricoh in the copier business. No big obvious changes but if they can make it better they do. At least in the copier side they have had a very low tolerance for defects, standards are high. Which was not always the case with Pentax, who has occasionally had really brilliant products but they have not always been as focused on the little details that make a product really elegant.

The k-5 was built just fine. The k-5IIs looks like it was built by people who really pride themselves on it being the best they can build.
I wish Adam would Perma-paste this Post to the Forum Header.

09-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #2720
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It may sound like I'm harping on about how great the K-5 II is, but in so many ways, this is the APS-C camera that so many pentaxians were waiting for, ever since the K10D. Now that it's here, all we want now is a D800 competitor.
The K-5 is an awesome camera in many ways, and the K-5II fixes many of the weaknesses of the K-5.

Its not that I don't really like the K-5 or APS-C. I have shot MF film (Contax 645) and a Canon 5D (my first digital) and on both of those my favorite focal length is 80-135mm. I shoot mostly people and the 80mm F/2 (Contax) or the 85L (5D) are my favorite lenses. The problem with APS-C is that that focal length becomes pretty long for a lot of work indoors.

55mm might give me the same FoV as my 85mm, but the 55mm will never render like an 85mm. It doesn't matter how good the sensor APS-C sensor is, For those of us who really like the way longer glass renders, but don't want to have to stand so far away we need radios to communicate with models, APS-C is a problem. For those of us who are dirt photographers and want to capture wide angle landscapes, APS-C presents a different problem.

To me it is all about the glass, and what glass gives me the results I really want. APS-C has some glass issues.... not IQ issues.
09-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #2721
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Same that feeling users had when Pentax replaced K-7 with a K-5. But then there was no Ricoh. It was basically same camera, only few vital parts improved. Right?

I hope you understand that when two or three crucial components are fixed in a camera, the experience of all other parts is then augmented. So what you say now is true regarding the philosophy of polishing up the product in some parts to make it better. Pentax did that too, before Ricoh came.

But for the rest of your opinion, it is the perceptional illusion of our mind — it builds a whole new picture of expectations for the new level of use of same old parts.

So no, Ricoh didn't make a whole new K5 — your mind did. Ricoh still has to prove its worth to everyone.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-19-2013 at 07:28 PM.
09-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #2722
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ricoh still has to prove its worth to everyone.
Ricoh doesn't have to prove their manufacturing skill and attention to detail to me. I've used their copiers daily for 7 years. If they turn that skill and mindset to making cameras I think I will be well satisfied.

I hope you understand that when two or three crucial components are fixed in a camera, the experience of all other parts is then augmented.
I hope I do to.

it is the perceptional illusion of our mind
And is not perception reality in the mind of the consumer? Maybe it is just illusion, maybe it is just because k-5IIs is new and k-5 has 40,000 clicks on it, maybe it is just because I want it to be so. Or maybe it really is built a little better, a littler tighter, tolerances a little closer, made with a little more pride. It does not matter, because since I perceive it to be so, it is to me.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I only bring this up because I've seen the same subtle improvements in other equipment they make and I think that is a good thing. I like good tools, well made, that fit my hand and just plain feel like they were crafted, not stamped out. I get that sense with the k-5IIs and I did not with the k-5. If that's illusion that's just fine, I'm still happy.

09-19-2013, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2723
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know at least Ricoh can get the SD card slot the right size.......
09-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #2724
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Not even future processors?
Milbeaut and EXPEED | byThom | Thom Hogan
09-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #2725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Very dangerous! Concentrating all the venting into just one point will rupture space/time and create a wormhole.
No need to worry. WR really is an acronym for Wormhole Resistant, so you'll still be able to take pictures.
09-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #2726
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
No need to worry. WR really is an acronym for Wormhole Resistant, so you'll still be able to take pictures.
OK, OK ... I feel much, much better now ... did not sleep well last night because of this thread !
09-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #2727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
So not affected by a kawoosh ? Phew !
09-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #2728
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, this thread is still going?
09-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #2729
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Wow, this thread is still going?
Yup, but activity is guaranteed to temporarily slow down once there is no more reason to speculate.
09-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #2730
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Yup, but activity is guaranteed to temporarily slow down once there is no more reason to speculate.
ye hope