Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #2776
Site Supporter

No, sorry.
Otherwise, why keep the RICOH label ?

EDIT : my personnal wish is for FF K-mount of course...
Maybe once all products line will increase their market-shares, we will see the K-mount FF under Pentax line.
But probably not that soon.

The hypothesis beeing :
RICOH for traditional compacts, GR, GXR (if not condemned), and forthcomming MILC (FF to start with, then APS-C in same mount)
PENTAX for outdoor rugged compacts, Q, K (APS-C and next, FF) and 645 mounts.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #2777
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
  1. Ricoh as a BRAND has identity and value
  2. Pentax as a BRAND has identity and value
  3. Manufactured by RICOH IMAGING CO. Ltd. will be printed on the bottom of all the cameras.
    1. Ricoh will get new technology (Theta)
    2. Pentax will be the professional brand (could mean 645, could mean semi-pro APSc, could mean FF)
  4. Unless you think a completely new mount is necessary to make a larger sensor workable, why would Ricoh endanger the entire investment it has made in Pentax?
09-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2778
Veteran Member

Sony has hard time selling their dslrs.. but great tech. Would be cool if Ricoh sold Pentax to Sony and Sony merged its tech with Pentax and used Pentax brand for dslrs.. just a thought.
09-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #2779
Pentaxian

No, sorry.

EDIT : my personnal wish is for FF K-mount of course...
Maybe once all products line will increase their market-shares, we will see the K-mount FF under Pentax line.
But probably not that soon.

The hypothesis beeing :
RICOH for traditional compacts, GR, GXR (if not condemned), and forthcomming MILC (FF to start with, then APS-C in same mount)
PENTAX for outdoor rugged compacts, Q, K (APS-C and next, FF) and 645 mounts.
That just does not make sense.
When Ricoh and Pentax were separate companies, they still used the same K-mount. Now that they are the same company, you want them to use separate mounts?

09-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #2780
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Sony has hard time selling their dslrs.. but great tech. Would be cool if Ricoh sold Pentax to Sony and Sony merged its tech with Pentax and used Pentax brand for dslrs.. just a thought.
That wouldn't be cool at all! It would be frightening. Do you really think that Sony would keep the Pentax brand on the market? Just look at what happened to Ericsson! First they merged the brand names to Sony Ericsson, then they just removed Ericsson, which now is history.
09-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #2781
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. Ricoh as a BRAND has identity and value
  2. Pentax as a BRAND has identity and value
  3. Manufactured by RICOH IMAGING CO. Ltd. will be printed on the bottom of all the cameras.
    1. Ricoh will get new technology (Theta)
    2. Pentax will be the professional brand (could mean 645, could mean semi-pro APSc, could mean FF)
  4. Unless you think a completely new mount is necessary to make a larger sensor workable, why would Ricoh endanger the entire investment it has made in Pentax?
I will not discuss the fact that PENTAX is yet more a product line (actually several products lines), than a brand.
I also take your point 4, corresponding to my favourite scenario.
But... we will see.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That just does not make sense.
When Ricoh and Pentax were separate companies, they still used the same K-mount. Now that they are the same company, you want them to use separate mounts?
I agree, but then why dump PENTAX as a company and an official "full brand" ?
Again, this is not my scenario, but i am affraid this is what they are preparing.

This for sure would be non sense : Sony has already hard times with it's own products, and has already shares in Zeiss, Tamron and Olympus... imho they have no interest to take control of their smallest sensor customer, by the way not really a competitor.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.
09-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #2782
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
That wouldn't be cool at all! It would be frightening. Do you really think that Sony would keep the Pentax brand on the market? Just look at what happened to Ericsson! First they merged the brand names to Sony Ericsson, then they just removed Ericsson, which now is history.
Well it made sense to me. It wouldn't be cool if they didn't take advantage of the Pentax brand. I was saying it would be cool if they did... never mind.
09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2783
Pentaxian

I(...)
Sony has already hard times with it's own products, and [b[has already shares in Zeiss[/b], Tamron and Olympus... imho they have no interest to take control of their smallest sensor customer, by the way not really a competitor.
I am afraid this is not correct. 100% of Carl Zeiss AG belong to the Carl Zeiss Stiftung, i.e. a foundation.

09-23-2013, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2784
Pentaxian

By the way, since somebody else spilled the beans on Chassimages, I can confirm that the K-3 should be announced on Tuesday, October 8th in Japan (Monday evening in North America).

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #2785
Pentaxian

It wouldn't be great at all if Sony would acquire and kill Pentax. What, you were hoping for them to invest money in promoting a brand other than their own? Even doing a better job, than with their Alpha and NEX mounts?

Ricoh is a much better owner than Sony, for those valuing the classic Pentax.
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #2786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It wouldn't be great at all if Sony would acquire and kill Pentax. What, you were hoping for them to invest money in promoting a brand other than their own? Even doing a better job, than with their Alpha and NEX mounts?

Ricoh is a much better owner than Sony, for those valuing the classic Pentax.
Sounds like Sony has too much pride in their brand.. I guess that won't work.
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #2787
Pentaxian

Well it made sense to me. It wouldn't be cool if they didn't take advantage of the Pentax brand. I was saying it would be cool if they did... never mind.
Well, ok, but after what they did to Ericsson, I don't trust them. :-) I had two Ericsson phones and one Sony Ericsson. When they rebranded the phones, I was finished with them. I will never again buy a Sony product.
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #2788
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Well, ok, but after what they did to Ericsson, I don't trust them. :-) I had two Ericsson phones and one Sony Ericsson. When they rebranded the phones, I was finished with them. I will never again buy a Sony product.
I see that they have too much pride in their brand to make it work.
09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #2789
Loyal Site Supporter

All I have to say for Sony is Root Kit

Last edited by monochrome; 09-23-2013 at 03:16 PM.
09-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #2790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
By the way, since somebody else spilled the beans on Chassimages, I can confirm that the K-3 should be announced on Tuesday, October 8th in Japan (Monday evening in North America).
Neat. But... what is it?