Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #2776
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,074
No, sorry.
Otherwise, why keep the RICOH label ?

EDIT : my personnal wish is for FF K-mount of course...
Maybe once all products line will increase their market-shares, we will see the K-mount FF under Pentax line.
But probably not that soon.

The hypothesis beeing :
RICOH for traditional compacts, GR, GXR (if not condemned), and forthcomming MILC (FF to start with, then APS-C in same mount)
PENTAX for outdoor rugged compacts, Q, K (APS-C and next, FF) and 645 mounts.


Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-23-2013 at 11:40 AM.
09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #2777
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Otherwise, why keep the RICOH label ?
  1. Ricoh as a BRAND has identity and value
  2. Pentax as a BRAND has identity and value
  3. Manufactured by RICOH IMAGING CO. Ltd. will be printed on the bottom of all the cameras.
    1. Ricoh will get new technology (Theta)
    2. Pentax will be the professional brand (could mean 645, could mean semi-pro APSc, could mean FF)
  4. Unless you think a completely new mount is necessary to make a larger sensor workable, why would Ricoh endanger the entire investment it has made in Pentax?
09-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2778
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 398
Sony has hard time selling their dslrs.. but great tech. Would be cool if Ricoh sold Pentax to Sony and Sony merged its tech with Pentax and used Pentax brand for dslrs.. just a thought.
09-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #2779
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,532
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
No, sorry.
Otherwise, why keep the RICOH label ?

EDIT : my personnal wish is for FF K-mount of course...
Maybe once all products line will increase their market-shares, we will see the K-mount FF under Pentax line.
But probably not that soon.

The hypothesis beeing :
RICOH for traditional compacts, GR, GXR (if not condemned), and forthcomming MILC (FF to start with, then APS-C in same mount)
PENTAX for outdoor rugged compacts, Q, K (APS-C and next, FF) and 645 mounts.
That just does not make sense.
When Ricoh and Pentax were separate companies, they still used the same K-mount. Now that they are the same company, you want them to use separate mounts?

09-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #2780
Pentaxian
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 311
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Sony has hard time selling their dslrs.. but great tech. Would be cool if Ricoh sold Pentax to Sony and Sony merged its tech with Pentax and used Pentax brand for dslrs.. just a thought.
That wouldn't be cool at all! It would be frightening. Do you really think that Sony would keep the Pentax brand on the market? Just look at what happened to Ericsson! First they merged the brand names to Sony Ericsson, then they just removed Ericsson, which now is history.
09-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #2781
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,074
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. Ricoh as a BRAND has identity and value
  2. Pentax as a BRAND has identity and value
  3. Manufactured by RICOH IMAGING CO. Ltd. will be printed on the bottom of all the cameras.
    1. Ricoh will get new technology (Theta)
    2. Pentax will be the professional brand (could mean 645, could mean semi-pro APSc, could mean FF)
  4. Unless you think a completely new mount is necessary to make a larger sensor workable, why would Ricoh endanger the entire investment it has made in Pentax?
I will not discuss the fact that PENTAX is yet more a product line (actually several products lines), than a brand.
I also take your point 4, corresponding to my favourite scenario.
But... we will see.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That just does not make sense.
When Ricoh and Pentax were separate companies, they still used the same K-mount. Now that they are the same company, you want them to use separate mounts?
I agree, but then why dump PENTAX as a company and an official "full brand" ?
Again, this is not my scenario, but i am affraid this is what they are preparing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Sony has hard time selling their dslrs.. but great tech. Would be cool if Ricoh sold Pentax to Sony and Sony merged its tech with Pentax and used Pentax brand for dslrs.. just a thought.
This for sure would be non sense : Sony has already hard times with it's own products, and has already shares in Zeiss, Tamron and Olympus... imho they have no interest to take control of their smallest sensor customer, by the way not really a competitor.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.
09-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #2782
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
That wouldn't be cool at all! It would be frightening. Do you really think that Sony would keep the Pentax brand on the market? Just look at what happened to Ericsson! First they merged the brand names to Sony Ericsson, then they just removed Ericsson, which now is history.
Well it made sense to me. It wouldn't be cool if they didn't take advantage of the Pentax brand. I was saying it would be cool if they did... never mind.
09-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2783
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,003
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I(...)
Sony has already hard times with it's own products, and [b[has already shares in Zeiss[/b], Tamron and Olympus... imho they have no interest to take control of their smallest sensor customer, by the way not really a competitor.
I am afraid this is not correct. 100% of Carl Zeiss AG belong to the Carl Zeiss Stiftung, i.e. a foundation.

09-23-2013, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2784
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,003
By the way, since somebody else spilled the beans on Chassimages, I can confirm that the K-3 should be announced on Tuesday, October 8th in Japan (Monday evening in North America).

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #2785
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,343
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Sony has hard time selling their dslrs.. but great tech. Would be cool if Ricoh sold Pentax to Sony and Sony merged its tech with Pentax and used Pentax brand for dslrs.. just a thought.
It wouldn't be great at all if Sony would acquire and kill Pentax. What, you were hoping for them to invest money in promoting a brand other than their own? Even doing a better job, than with their Alpha and NEX mounts?

Ricoh is a much better owner than Sony, for those valuing the classic Pentax.
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #2786
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It wouldn't be great at all if Sony would acquire and kill Pentax. What, you were hoping for them to invest money in promoting a brand other than their own? Even doing a better job, than with their Alpha and NEX mounts?

Ricoh is a much better owner than Sony, for those valuing the classic Pentax.
Sounds like Sony has too much pride in their brand.. I guess that won't work.
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #2787
Pentaxian
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 311
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Well it made sense to me. It wouldn't be cool if they didn't take advantage of the Pentax brand. I was saying it would be cool if they did... never mind.
Well, ok, but after what they did to Ericsson, I don't trust them. :-) I had two Ericsson phones and one Sony Ericsson. When they rebranded the phones, I was finished with them. I will never again buy a Sony product.
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #2788
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 398
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Well, ok, but after what they did to Ericsson, I don't trust them. :-) I had two Ericsson phones and one Sony Ericsson. When they rebranded the phones, I was finished with them. I will never again buy a Sony product.
I see that they have too much pride in their brand to make it work.
09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #2789
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,450
All I have to say for Sony is Root Kit

Last edited by monochrome; 09-23-2013 at 03:16 PM.
09-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #2790
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
By the way, since somebody else spilled the beans on Chassimages, I can confirm that the K-3 should be announced on Tuesday, October 8th in Japan (Monday evening in North America).
Neat. But... what is it?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, k-5, k-7, k-7/k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, reason, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speculation: What if Pentax did not go FF but rather a 1.3x? brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 08-13-2013 10:36 PM
Any speculation on how long... Tom S. Pentax K-5 10 12-16-2010 09:19 PM
K-x price speculation SylBer Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-13-2010 12:29 PM
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
speculation about FA lenses on FF DSLR lpfonseca Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-05-2009 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top