Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #451

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That's exactly what I mean! All that crap is just waiting to snag on something and snap off or compromise the weather sealing.

It's fine for a $500 body (just buy another), a shame on a $2500 cam (send it in for repair and use the backup body), but it's a major bummer when it's a $5000 tool you're making an income with (the repair is going to be a doozy!)

That screen has to survive swinging on the end of my arm / handstrap with all the momentum of a 5lb camera + lens while the screen clips the top of some random kids head, table, guest, chair, or my leg. Do I actually plan on doing stuff like that? Of course not. Will it happen? With me, very probably.

And that rig doesn't look nearly rugged enough - not to Pentax standards. That's essentially the same flash as the K20D, and I've nearly ripped mine off twice because it deployed in the bag (didn't look open, but was unlocked) and flipped up as I pulled it out; it was lucky that the next thing it snagged was my arm - I stopped moving before it twisted too far. And I'm not clumsy either, but that screen is just begging for 30 minutes with me.

I might be happy if it was all metal.

And weighed and extra 5lbs.

When I clock that kid I don't want a conscious witness

10-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #452
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
That's exactly what I mean! All that crap is just waiting to snag on something and snap off or compromise the weather sealing.

It's fine for a $500 body (just buy another), a shame on a $2500 cam (send it in for repair and use the backup body), but it's a major bummer when it's a $5000 tool you're making an income with (the repair is going to be a doozy!)

That screen has to survive swinging on the end of my arm / handstrap with all the momentum of a 5lb camera + lens while the screen clips the top of some random kids head, table, guest, chair, or my leg. Do I actually plan on doing stuff like that? Of course not. Will it happen? With me, very probably.

And that rig doesn't look nearly rugged enough - not to Pentax standards. That's essentially the same flash as the K20D, and I've nearly ripped mine off twice because it deployed in the bag (didn't look open, but was unlocked) and flipped up as I pulled it out; it was lucky that the next thing it snagged was my arm - I stopped moving before it twisted too far. And I'm not clumsy either, but that screen is just begging for 30 minutes with me.

I might be happy if it was all metal.

And weighed and extra 5lbs.

When I clock that kid I don't want a conscious witness
I had an Olympus E-3. I bought it for hiking and kayaking. Very durable camera. It survived full submersion with a 35-100 F/2 attached. I really like the articulating screen. Since since picking up the K-7 I don't use liveview at all. On the E-3 I used it as a waist level finder often.

The Olympus E-3/E-5 are really well made cameras.
10-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #453

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The Olympus E-3/E-5 are really well made cameras.
I don't doubt they are tough little nuggets, but I just don't believe that screen hinge can deal with a body and lens that weighs 2 or 3 times as much... what with f=ma and p=mv and all .... The physics man! The physics!

Of course I'm assuming a big FF metal bodied monster, integral vertical grip, and my 70-200 on it. Pentax will probably make something too small to handhold, buttons too small for human fingers, and something that won't support a lens bigger than the 50-135...
10-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #454
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't doubt they are tough little nuggets, but I just don't believe that screen hinge can deal with a body and lens that weighs 2 or 3 times as much... what with f=ma and p=mv and all .... The physics man! The physics!

Of course I'm assuming a big FF metal bodied monster, integral vertical grip, and my 70-200 on it. Pentax will probably make something too small to handhold, buttons too small for human fingers, and something that won't support a lens bigger than the 50-135...
I guess you haven't looked up the 35-100/F2.0 Zuiko that Winder was referring to:

11-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #455
Veteran Member

Original Poster

The E-3 was as big as my Canon 5D and the SHG Olympus glass is actually bigger and heavier than the Nikon or Canon equivalents.
11-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #456

I stand corrected on the size!

The last Oly dslr I saw made my K20D look huge. I actually thought it was a bridge camera (which kinda offended the owner) until he pointed out that it was in fact a dslr.

But I stand behind my point; I don't want all that weight swinging around and then tear off the screen. It might be because I use the handstrap; I find when shooting 6-12 hours it let's my hand breathe because I can essentially 'let go' of the camera and let it hang from my wrist.

I could see a smaller lcd being armoured enough to stand up to some abuse, but I just don't think it's true for a bigger package - I guess I'd have to see it in person to believe it. How much torque does the screen take? Do the seams in the plastic open up if it gets twisted at the limits of its travel? Am I worried for no reason?

Or maybe I'm just really really hard on my gear and think it's normal wear...
11-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #457
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I guess you haven't looked up the 35-100/F2.0 Zuiko that Winder was referring to:
Wow...that is an impressive looking piece of glass.

I really hope that Olympus is able to stick around and figure out a way to release their awesome 4/3rds lenses in other mounts. I know you can get an adapter for m43, but it would be so cool if they could convert those monsters...

11-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #458
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 35-100 F/2 is a really good lens. AF was a little slow, but even at f/2 it is very sharp.
12-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #459
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alpha Rumors reporting that the next NEX-5 with the 16MP sensor will not have an AA filter. Hopefully we will see the 24MP APS-C in the next Pentax without an AA filter.
12-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #460

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Alpha Rumors reporting that the next NEX-5 with the 16MP sensor will not have an AA filter. Hopefully we will see the 24MP APS-C in the next Pentax without an AA filter.
Read it again: he's talking about the upcoming Ricoh GXR module. He's saying that we will see what the NEX-5N's sensor can do without an AA filter.
12-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #461
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WyldRage Quote
Read it again: he's talking about the upcoming Ricoh GXR module. He's saying that we will see what the NEX-5N's sensor can do without an AA filter.
You are correct. I misread the post.

If Ricoh has the technology to handle the AA function in the image processor we could see the next wave of Pentax cameras without the AA filter. The 24MP APS-C with out an AA filter in the K-3 could be attractive.
12-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, but the moire remains - have just gotten an NEX-5n, and while the sensor is brilliant, there is certainly moire present. Solutions for RAW capture - silent corrections?
03-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #463
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
it's always the same old story : people who don't own a K-5, say it has a poor AF.
Don't listen Pentax, they don't want to buy a new camera, they are only whining...
how about you get serious.
i own K5 and AF is poor at best if you using fast lenses and if you think that all people with this problems don't own K5 and only come to whing to forums to give pentax bad name you need to wake up.
and AF adjustment feature is almost useless as well because AF is all over the place under different light type.
adjust lens outdoors and it is very good but go under indoor lights with same lens and it is miles off and god help you if you taking photos under mix conditions, who is there to know which way your K5 will go?

if i didn't have so much pentax gear i would NEVER go near pentax camera again but since i got so much money buried in to pentax i just got all of my fingers crossed that one day they pull their heads out and release K5 replacment that have reliable AF.

and no it isn't my unit only, i believe they ALL have problems just some people never use with lenses or conditions that trigger the problems, eg. if i always use K5 in studio then it would be perfect, i would never know AF got issues or if i never used lenses with large and wide open apertures then issue would not come up.

i had my camera replaced 3 times, and "repaired" once.
pentax service centre ignored the issue and focused on problem of exposure being different in same shot when taken with use of liveview vs shot taken via viewfinder.
they replaced my camera because of that just for me to discover they ALL act same way as well.

so yes, once again GET REAL
03-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #464

Bit of a uhh... Late reply?
03-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #465
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rabe Quote
Bit of a uhh... Late reply?
I'm guessing it takes time for signals from the moon to make it to the earth.

Having said that, I've shot my K-5 outdoors, under studio lights, and in a varietry of indoor lighting(low, halogen, fluorescent) and never ran into anything more than a few tweaks in eV and WB. Other than that... no problems to report.