Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #496
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,466
Where I come from we're taught no deodorant, no toothpaste, no scented foot powder, no scented soap comes on a backcountry Trek at all. Every scented thing in every backpack goes up a tree in a Bear Bag first-thing into a campsite. If you even put flavored drink mix in a Nalgene bottle, the bottle is forever a "smellable" and has to go up the tree in a bag at night. Of course all foodstuffs go up. Woe be to the person who brngs anything smellable into a tent!!

05-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #497
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Woe be to the person who brngs anything smellable into a tent!!
Hmm, sounds like you'll be eaten by mosquitos instead of bears, then
05-29-2012, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #498
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where I come from we're taught no deodorant, no toothpaste, no scented foot powder, no scented soap comes on a backcountry Trek at all. Every scented thing in every backpack goes up a tree in a Bear Bag first-thing into a campsite. If you even put flavored drink mix in a Nalgene bottle, the bottle is forever a "smellable" and has to go up the tree in a bag at night. Of course all foodstuffs go up. Woe be to the person who brngs anything smellable into a tent!!
Trekking?

I was working in the forestry industry in the mountains of British Columbia.

I used to eat "trekkers" for lunch. They carried Nalgene bottles; I carried a Husqvarna and rappelled from helicopters to fight forest fires.

My "tent" was a forestry camp tent near a helipad. Toothpaste necessary after 10 straight days running firebreaks. Funny thing about ashes getting in one's teeth.

Worst fire I fought was started by trekkers. Most by lightning. One by drunk mushroom pickers. I still have my axe.

Missed it all photographically speaking because I had no K-3.
05-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #499
D0n
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 530
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where I come from we're taught no deodorant, no toothpaste, no scented foot powder, no scented soap comes on a backcountry Trek at all. Every scented thing in every backpack goes up a tree in a Bear Bag first-thing into a campsite. If you even put flavored drink mix in a Nalgene bottle, the bottle is forever a "smellable" and has to go up the tree in a bag at night. Of course all foodstuffs go up. Woe be to the person who brngs anything smellable into a tent!!
and this is why I use a hammock and climbing rigging instead of a tent.... I put my loverly smellable a$$ in the trees too, up high....


doesn't make much sense to me, in grizzly country to put your food up where the bears can't get it, then leave your own sorry a$$ on the ground and have the Bear saying "Damn, that food smells great and all I got to eat is this dumba$$"


Last edited by D0n; 05-29-2012 at 08:16 AM.
05-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #500
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,165
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Trekking?

I was working in the forestry industry in the mountains of British Columbia.

I used to eat "trekkers" for lunch. They carried Nalgene bottles; I carried a Husqvarna and rappelled from helicopters to fight forest fires.

My "tent" was a forestry camp tent near a helipad. Toothpaste necessary after 10 straight days running firebreaks. Funny thing about ashes getting in one's teeth.

Worst fire I fought was started by trekkers. Most by lightning. One by drunk mushroom pickers. I still have my axe.

Missed it all photographically speaking because I had no K-3.
you sure the mushroom picker were drunk , or just sampling their wares
05-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #501
Pentaxian
traderdrew's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 570
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I wonder if we will see an 18MP APS-C version of the 36MP Nikon D800 sensor as the next step. The 24MP does not seem to be attractive to most people.
I know I am requoting this but I was playing around with my K-5 and looking at my manual. In JPEG you have the option of taking smaller photos. Another thing that gets me about this forum is some people say they don't want a machine gun. I want 12 frames per second like the Sony A77. I usually control the speed with two or three bursts and letting it refocus when photographing a moving subject. (I also found out the K-5 gives you the option of a slower setting for continuous frames per second.)

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Another negative post by me.!! Anyway.. My K-5 just cannot hold up for me. I use it heavily, daily with two good lenses. I don't post with it anymore because the other system is better. But the switches are becoming very bad. AF button is almost useless now. The slightest brush will cause the menu to abort. The back color coating is almost worn off. That is with complete rebuild one year ago. So, I hope to see some major improvements in parts quality.
If the new K-3 when tested is better. I will try one more before completely moving on. And now I know the limits of the Pentax system. I will only use it in certain situations.

But many times it is a joy to use. Small and compact and with me getting older a great combo. With the Sigma 300 and 500 lenses. It is small and amazingly sharp within its limits. Good light and no BIF. As I like bird only.
I believe you Gary. (I know Gary from flickr.) There is a camera for everyone. One of my buddies keeps telling me he wants me to switch to Canon but I don't want to dish out the money and the pain of switching. In some ways the K-5 is superior to the EOS-7D and dxomark.com proves this scientifically. I'm not going to switch but sometimes I wish I had the 800mm the Canon guy has.

Flickriver: Andrew's Wildlife's most interesting photos
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #502
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,414
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I know I am requoting this but I was playing around with my K-5 and looking at my manual. In JPEG you have the option of taking smaller photos. Another thing that gets me about this forum is some people say they don't want a machine gun. I want 12 frames per second like the Sony A77. I usually control the speed with two or three bursts and letting it refocus when photographing a moving subject. (I also found out the K-5 gives you the option of a slower setting for continuous frames per second.)



I believe you Gary. (I know Gary from flickr.) There is a camera for everyone. One of my buddies keeps telling me he wants me to switch to Canon but I don't want to dish out the money and the pain of switching. In some ways the K-5 is superior to the EOS-7D and dxomark.com proves this scientifically. I'm not going to switch but sometimes I wish I had the 800mm the Canon guy has.

Flickriver: Andrew's Wildlife's most interesting photos
I really just want better AF. The sensor performance of the Canon 7D, K-7, OM-D, or any modern DSLR is more than enough for what I do with APS-C. The new A99 is rumored to have 101 AF points and the AF speed and accuracy of SLT is very appealing. The FF sensor is also pretty appealing. If Sony does it right then the A99 might be my next camera. Pentax has raised the price on all of their glass, so I can sell what I have for at least as much as i paid for it. I can switch and not be out a dime. Other than AF my K-5 has been a great camera. I will keep my Sigma 50mm & 85mm since they are FF compatible and if Pentax ever does release a FF I will be in good shape to pick on up and give it a try.
05-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #503
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you sure the mushroom picker were drunk , or just sampling their wares
My crew found them in the middle of a clear cut to get away from the fire they started. They were still drinking. They started the fire to get warm, but a bottle broke and it "got away from them"...the fire.

Sadly, the mushrooms were morels. Not the more favourable hallucinogens.

Again, no proof because I did not have a K-3. All these anecdotes with no photos.

The LAST thing anyone wants is a forest fire fighter with an axe and chainsaw, paranoid on mushrooms,....in a helicopter.


Last edited by Aristophanes; 05-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.
05-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #504
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
Those are some amazing wildlife photos. Top quality.
05-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #505
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,466
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Trekking?

I was working in the forestry industry in the mountains of British Columbia.

I used to eat "trekkers" for lunch. They carried Nalgene bottles; I carried a Husqvarna and rappelled from helicopters to fight forest fires.

My "tent" was a forestry camp tent near a helipad. Toothpaste necessary after 10 straight days running firebreaks. Funny thing about ashes getting in one's teeth.

Worst fire I fought was started by trekkers. Most by lightning. One by drunk mushroom pickers. I still have my axe.

Missed it all photographically speaking because I had no K-3.
Heh - doff of the hardhat. Never done anything quite that extreme - though I did spend a summer clearing land in New Hampshire with a German chainsaw.

Clearly I'm a tool, having only spent two weeks at a time in real wilderness - and only above tree line in Colorado, or Ontario in a canoe, never in BC. And always in adult guidance of young people. Nevertheless, tent being a loose term to include any fixed cover that keeps water off while sleeping, while I have seen a black bear in a campsite, I've never seen a Grizzly bear in a tent. Tarp, tent, hammock or open air - if it smells and didn't come out of my body it goes up the tree.



Have fun with this -> Chainsaw Collectors Forum

Last edited by monochrome; 05-29-2012 at 06:03 PM.
05-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #506
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heh - doff of the hardhat. Never done anything quite that extreme - though I did spend a summer clearing land in New Hampshire with a German chainsaw.

Clearly I'm a tool, having only spent two weeks at a time in real wilderness - and only above tree line in Colorado, or Ontario in a canoe, never in BC. And always in adult guidance of young people. Nevertheless, tent being a loose term to include any fixed cover that keeps water off while sleeping, while I have seen a black bear in a campsite, I've never seen a Grizzly bear in a tent. Tarp, tent, hammock or open air - if it smells and didn't come out of your body it goes up the tree.

Have fun with this -> Chainsaw Collectors Forum
I agree with the smelly part. One time I was with a big group of friends camping in the Sierra's and we had several bears come into our campground.
It was our own fault though, when we were cleaning up late at night one girl thought it would be easy to get rid of the bacon grease by pouring it into
the embers of our fire. OOOOPPSS!!! ....well at least I know how to get those up close and personal BEAR photos now!!!
05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #507
Senior Member
trublubiker's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hunter Valley NSW AUSTRALIA
Posts: 144
I was sent this link years ago about a huge Grizzly that had killed some folk. This animal is HUGE !!

WARNING: The attached pics on the link are VERY GRAPHIC with shots of a partly devoured person. If you are at all squeamish, don't look.

World Record Grizzly Bear (Photos) - Urban Legends

The only way I'd camp in Grizzly country would be in an armoured Winnebago.
05-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #508
D0n
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 530
I used to guide tours up in the arctic.
used to say this about the Arctic wolves, but I guess it applies to bears as well...

You don't have to run faster than the Wolves. Just your friends.
05-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #509
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
and this is why I use a hammock and climbing rigging instead of a tent.... I put my loverly smellable a$$ in the trees too, up high....
That looks like a Hennessy Hammock, is it?
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #510
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
this is why I use a hammock and climbing rigging instead of a tent....
I thought this was a scrotum of an elephant.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, k-5, k-7, k-7/k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, reason, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speculation: What if Pentax did not go FF but rather a 1.3x? brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 08-13-2013 10:36 PM
Any speculation on how long... Tom S. Pentax K-5 10 12-16-2010 09:19 PM
K-x price speculation SylBer Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-13-2010 12:29 PM
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
speculation about FA lenses on FF DSLR lpfonseca Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-05-2009 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top