Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #526
Pentaxian

I really find the timing of K-30 release to be interesting and exciting, even though i would not buy one. Here is a mid level cam that can seriously rival the ability of K-5 with a fine sensor and weather proofing and generous viewfinder coverage ( sorry I am not into fps and AF speed and accuracy ). For the first time since K10d (oh, excluding 645d), the next Pentax enthusiast model is setting itself up to just KICK ASS. It is almost scary in that in the event that it falls short of expectation, it is going to be a serious bust.

Oh boy. Lord or somebody help us.

05-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #527
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Semenelin Quote
I've seen a lot of posts about complaining that k7 and k5 is too small for their fingers. would a bigger, and most likely heavier, camera work for you? if so, how big should it go to be acceptable since people with smaller hands would have problems if the camera is "too" big.
Though I am loathe to say so (joke), the Canon 60D is a good size - I was looking at it and the K-5 and decided on the K-5 because of features and build (metal, weather sealed, etc.). The K-5 with the battery grip is a good size for me, although I'd like a little more camera body on the left side to rest in my palm as I work the lens.

Got to admit I like the tilt-a-whirl LCD on the Canon. The one on my G12 is great.
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #528
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
what are the odds that Pentax can take that same 24 mp Sony sensor and replicate what they did with the k-5? Making it outperform even the k-05?
Odds are very good, I think, unless Ricoh messes with the formula too much. Pentax have proven they can take Sony's sensors and improve on them with their own software (and I imagine their own amplifier circuitry).

I personally would rather have a 24 MP APS-C than a FF, due to the cost of glass.
05-31-2012, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #529
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many here who wouldn't balk at spending extra for a FF camera knowing that their existing FF lenses will fit the bill. Even if I just had my FA limiteds on their own, I'd still go for a FF K-mount camera. Otherwise, I suppose, there'd be very little to stop someone in the market for a FF camera from going to the other big two. As for APS-C, both Canon and Nikon are offering great alternatives, so it will be tough for Ricoh-Pentax if they stayed APS-C/MILC/P&S with only the 645D as their higher grade camera.

06-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #530
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There are many here who wouldn't balk at spending extra for a FF camera knowing that their existing FF lenses will fit the bill. Even if I just had my FA limiteds on their own, I'd still go for a FF K-mount camera. Otherwise, I suppose, there'd be very little to stop someone in the market for a FF camera from going to the other big two. As for APS-C, both Canon and Nikon are offering great alternatives, so it will be tough for Ricoh-Pentax if they stayed APS-C/MILC/P&S with only the 645D as their higher grade camera.
I have yet to buy any DA lenses, and while I am not heavily invested in K-mount I would be very interested in a K-3 24MP FF with improved AF. I would prefer the 18MP sensor found in the D4 but 24MP will be fine.
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #531
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would love to see an MX based FF mirrorless.

What are the odds that the K-30 is the new top of the line APS-C body for Pentax and the K-3 will sport the new 24MP FF sensor?
If you look closely at tests for that aps-c 24mp sensor you know it isn't up to the challenge to be better then the 16mp sensor from K-5. I hope Pentax sticks with the 16mp!
06-01-2012, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #532
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If you look closely at tests for that aps-c 24mp sensor you know it isn't up to the challenge to be better then the 16mp sensor from K-5. I hope Pentax sticks with the 16mp!
I'm talking about the new 24MP full frame sensor that Nikon is using in the D600 and Sony will release in the A99.
06-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #533
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
I personally would rather have a 24 MP APS-C than a FF, due to the cost of glass.
And I would rather have FF, for exactly the same reason.

I already have an excelent APS-C camera, and most of my lenses will work fine on FF, but be different. Thus, for just the cost of a camera, I get lots of new lenses. (Ok, I can already shoot them on film, but that doesn't quite count.)

06-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #534

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
And I would rather have FF, for exactly the same reason.

I already have an excelent APS-C camera, and most of my lenses will work fine on FF, but be different. Thus, for just the cost of a camera, I get lots of new lenses. (Ok, I can already shoot them on film, but that doesn't quite count.)
...but I already have some glass
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #535
Pentaxian

I'm talking about the new 24MP full frame sensor that Nikon is using in the D600 and Sony will release in the A99.
okay, but K-3 sounds to me as an aps-c successor for K-5.
06-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #536
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
okay, but K-3 sounds to me as an aps-c successor for K-5.
It could be, but what if we see the K-30 as the K-5 replacement and the K-3 of K-1 as the first FF. It is possible that the return of the K-30 line will mean that the K-? line moves farther up the quality scale. With Nikon producing a $1,800 D600 full-frame, room for a high end APS-C is pretty small.
06-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #537
Pentaxian

It could be, but what if we see the K-30 as the K-5 replacement...
Then we should clean our glasses.
06-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #538
Pentaxian

I have yet to buy any DA lenses, and while I am not heavily invested in K-mount I would be very interested in a K-3 24MP FF with improved AF. I would prefer the 18MP sensor found in the D4 but 24MP will be fine.
Reads like a freudian slip, the D4 has 16mp sensor, not 18mp. So the K30 and K5 have good company - yeah, yeah, i know its not FF

IMO, both options are possible, the 24mp updated K5 seens more likely, but they may do the FF. be interesting to watch.
06-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #539
Pentaxian

It could be, but what if we see the K-30 as the K-5 replacement and the K-3 of K-1 as the first FF. It is possible that the return of the K-30 line will mean that the K-? line moves farther up the quality scale. With Nikon producing a $1,800 D600 full-frame, room for a high end APS-C is pretty small.
From the sound of it, the K-30 isn't enough of a premium camera to justify buying all those expensive metal-clad DA lenses for it. Where's the mag alloy, top plate LCD, big buffer, grip, big battery, etc - folks want something special to affix all those little premium-priced jewels to. Not saying it couldn't happen but I think it would be a suicidal. A lot of folks who are serious about their photography but not up for FF, or at least not yet, would be pretty miffed.
06-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #540
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K30 is not the flagship model. Wait just a little longer for another announcement on a higher tier Pentax dSLR.