Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally I don't think Pentax would have much trouble in coming up with a good successor to or refresh of the K-5. I take a lot of pictures and there's no way my old Kx, for example, would have stood up to the amount of use I've given my K5. The K5 is simply ruffer and tuffer in nearly every way, and unlike the K-r or the K-30 it doesn't compromise the power supply by having to design for AA batteries as well as a convention cell, a bugbear of mine. I much prefer a big, high-capacity li-ion, not AAs. Two other things. As mentioned before, without a flagship camera many of Pentax's more highly priced, upmarket lenses would become a tough sell. Second, design cues. The K-30 isn't styled as a "serious" camera for those who are pretty dedicated to photography. It's styling cues are much more fun and young. Nothing wrong with that of course, but someone invested in some fine FA or DA lenses may well want something a bit more sober and elegant than a camera marketed as a bit of a beach 'n' kayaking number. Don't forget that according to Pentax's own documents, the K7 was styled with the DA lenses specifically in mind. The K5's DNA is from the K7 and I'd guess the next one will contain a fare bit of it too. As for pixel count, well 18m would be a bump away from 16m . Perhaps the 24 meg Sony sensor can be downsampled in some way which ups the quality?

06-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #572
gtl
Veteran Member

My god. Just played with a Nikon D800. The size of the VF is unbelievable. Paired with a 50mm f1.8 it is very light indeed. Though the controls and layout don't make much sense to me. I always get the feeling that the K5 is very dense, with a hell lot of stuff packed into its tiny body. Not so with the D800. I just hope the next flagship pentax DSLR have a giant VF. FF would be a bonus though!
06-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #573
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
My god. Just played with a Nikon D800. The size of the VF is unbelievable. Paired with a 50mm f1.8 it is very light indeed. Though the controls and layout don't make much sense to me. I always get the feeling that the K5 is very dense, with a hell lot of stuff packed into its tiny body. Not so with the D800. I just hope the next flagship pentax DSLR have a giant VF. FF would be a bonus though!
the giant VF will only come when FF comes, part of that size is the larger mirror (36x24 vs 24x18). The D800 is a 100% coverage at .7x magnification. Imagine 100% at the .92X you see on a k5 it would seem massive.
Hopefully within the next 9 months
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the giant VF will only come when FF comes, part of that size is the larger mirror (36x24 vs 24x18). The D800 is a 100% coverage at .7x magnification. Imagine 100% at the .92X you see on a k5 it would seem massive.
Hopefully within the next 9 months
The tiny ME had only 92% coverage, but at .97x its viewfinder was still quite a bit larger than the one in the D800!

06-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #575
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The tiny ME had only 92% coverage, but at .97x its viewfinder was still quite a bit larger than the one in the D800!
the mx was 95% @ .97x and it is a stellar VF as well. But there are many reasons the body won't be as small as those cameras. As it sits many people complain the K5 is too small though I am not one of them, I like the size both with the grip and without. (on my k7 so same thing for these purposes)

the incredibly tiny Oly OM2n was a 97%vf @ .92x also a great VF (and it shows how small that prism can be)
06-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The K-5 replacement is going to have to offer something significant over the K-30 if it is going to list for 2x the price (like the K-5 did).

I don't think the Sony 24MP APS-C sensor is worth 2x the price. I do think Pentax can get 1-stop better performance out of the sensor than Sony. I also think they can get a lot more out of the 20MP Samsung sensor than what we are seeing from Samsung....

If Pentax can take the Sony 24MP ASP-C sensor and get another stop out if it then it will be a step forward. If Pentax can take the AA filter off of it then it will be a bigger step. Is that worth 2x the price? The A77 is not expected to be updated anytime soon, so I question whether Sony has a new high end APS-C sensor ready for a fall 2012 release.
I just came back from a monthly photoclub meeting. A friend had a 14"x17" photo of a forest from a Nex 7 24mp apsC sensor. The colors and detail were extraordinary. The Nex 7 had a zeiss 24mm lens for the image.

Sony sells the Nex 7, body only for $1199. If sony can do that, why can't Pentax offer a flagship camera with the same sensor at $1400 with weather resistance, SR, etc. That would be a worthy upgrade in my opinion. I'm not able to pull up DXOmark at my present location because of a weak connection, so can't comment on the merit of the sensor itself. But the print i looked at tonight was very impressive.
06-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #577
Veteran Member

I was playing with a Canon 1Ds mkIII on Sunday, and told the owner that my Pentax Mx viewfinder was way bigger. No way, he said. (lol I'm taking my Mx next time I see him!) The 1Ds viewfinder is only .85x or something. I didn't feel it was actually that much bigger than my K7 viewfinder!

I much prefered the focus points on the 1Ds though. There are many more of them, and their position is etched in the viewfinder. Having so many focus points arranged in a tight grid has such an obvious advantage when you see them latch onto solid objects and hold onto them. The K7 focusing system looks entry-level by comparison - the red dots sometimes seem to latch onto everything but what you want to, so I end up in centre point mode most of the time!
06-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #578
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I just came back from a monthly photoclub meeting. A friend had a 14"x17" photo of a forest from a Nex 7 24mp apsC sensor. The colors and detail were extraordinary. The Nex 7 had a zeiss 24mm lens for the image.

Sony sells the Nex 7, body only for $1199. If sony can do that, why can't Pentax offer a flagship camera with the same sensor at $1400 with weather resistance, SR, etc. That would be a worthy upgrade in my opinion. I'm not able to pull up DXOmark at my present location because of a weak connection, so can't comment on the merit of the sensor itself. But the print i looked at tonight was very impressive.
Interesting so a quick check :-

K5 - better DR, 2x better shutter lag, 2x faster max shutter speed, 0.2 stops better noise, WR, faster AF, OVF to EVF, US$400 cheaper !
Nex 7 : 10 to 7 fps, 0.3 stop high ISO advantage, 25-11 cross AF points, 24-16MP, half the size and half the weight.

Not the whole story by a long way of course but an interesting comparison.

06-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #579
Veteran Member

Agreed. Coming from the K-x, the first time I tried looking through the VF of an ME Super I thought I was looking through a window or something. It was way bigger than I expected.
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #580

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Agreed. Coming from the K-x, the first time I tried looking through the VF of an ME Super I thought I was looking through a window or something. It was way bigger than I expected.
It was a shock for me also moving from a MEF film slr to dslr. I would have thought they could have put a magnifying lens in to make it bigger.
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #581
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

If you check the thread about the rumoured K-1 (K-5 successor) you can see that it should have the 24mp sensor. Kind of makes sense to be competitive. Also note that the picture shows it in red. That will be interesting.
06-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #582
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
K5 - better DR, 2x better shutter lag, 2x faster max shutter speed, 0.2 stops better noise, WR, faster AF, OVF to EVF, US$400 cheaper !
Nex 7 : 10 to 7 fps, 0.3 stop high ISO advantage, 25-11 cross AF points, 24-16MP, half the size and half the weight.
Thanks for the data comparison. To clarify my post, i was suggesting that the 24mp sensor deserves consideration as a sensor in the K5 replacement; i was not suggesting that Pentax go from a dslr to a mirrorless/evf camera configuration.

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
If you check the thread about the rumoured K-1 (K-5 successor) you can see that it should have the 24mp sensor. Kind of makes sense to be competitive. Also note that the picture shows it in red. That will be interesting.
Thanks for the update - i find it hard to keep track of so many threads . Having just bought the K5 last year, i won't be buying the K1 but i'm just loving this trend. I think the K30 is a home-run and I think the K1 will be a second home run. Go Ricoh!!!
06-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #583
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Not the whole story by a long way of course but an interesting comparison.
Have you looked at pictures taken at iso 3200-6400? That is where K-5 is winning.
06-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #584
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...Thanks for the update - i find it hard to keep track of so many threads . Having just bought the K5 last year, i won't be buying the K1 but i'm just loving this trend. I think the K30 is a home-run and I think the K1 will be a second home run. Go Ricoh!!!
I would imagine that it won't be $1400 USD MSRP though. I would guess more like $1600-$1650. Worth the wait for discounts, but I am good with what I have now.
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #585
Pentaxian

Will the K3 have up to 128000 ISO? with clean, usable ISO to 6400? =D

The ISO war seem to cool down a bit....