Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #616
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Yea, next Pentax dslr needs wifi, it must have wifi. wired transfers are stone age. With wifi you could hook it up with your phone and stream it do your NAS/computer or whatever. Would be handy if the camera had like 32gb of fast memory built in.

When will we see Pentax cameras with a real OS? Think of a camera with a computer/tablet like OS, you could hook it up wirelessly with a computer/phone/tablet for easy navigation when you are photo editing, controlling the camera, uploading pictures to pentaxforums, watching the latest episode of oprah, playing angry birds etc. A camera with no limitations, you could use it for anything without being dependent on other technology.
They do have Wifi on new DSLR's here is one by Samsung and I think even Nikon has some too.
20.3 Megapixel Compact System Camera EV-NX20ZZBSBUS ? Digital Cameras

06-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #617
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Yea, next Pentax dslr needs wifi, it must have wifi. wired transfers are stone age. With wifi you could hook it up with your phone and stream it do your NAS/computer or whatever. Would be handy if the camera had like 32gb of fast memory built in. When will we see Pentax cameras with a real OS? Think of a camera with a computer/tablet like OS, you could hook it up wirelessly with a computer/phone/tablet for easy navigation when you are photo editing, controlling the camera, uploading pictures to pentaxforums, watching the latest episode of oprah, playing angry birds etc. A camera with no limitations, you could use it for anything without being dependent on other technology.
Italicized text... on the camera? WiFi will already take out a lot of energy, and with files getting bigger, transfer will be slower and take out more energy too. Would I WiFi an entire album from the camera to the PC? If the battery can, probably, but it probably can't.

Watch Oprah... play Angry Birds.. hmm. The latter.. well, Kodak had a full-frame camera back then that had Pong in it..
06-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #618
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Italicized text... on the camera? WiFi will already take out a lot of energy, and with files getting bigger, transfer will be slower and take out more energy too. Would I WiFi an entire album from the camera to the PC? If the battery can, probably, but it probably can't.

Watch Oprah... play Angry Birds.. hmm. The latter.. well, Kodak had a full-frame camera back then that had Pong in it..
I would like to see Ethernet or WiFi built into the grip. Pentax could keep the body small for people who don't need/want these features. This would also address the extra power consumption issues.

2nd card slot
Ethernet or WiFi
GPS

Several things could be put into a grip accessory to keep body costs/size down and still provide users with these options.
06-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #619
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would like to see Ethernet or WiFi built into the grip. Pentax could keep the body small for people who don't need/want these features. This would also address the extra power consumption issues.

2nd card slot
Ethernet or WiFi
GPS

Several things could be put into a grip accessory to keep body costs/size down and still provide users with these options.
this. this would be a great idea, especially if it forces pentax to make the grip out of metal to match the body as well as to help with heat dissipation. I wouldn't mind if it made the grip itself a tad chunkier, i always found myself lamenting how the battery grip on the k-5 is nowhere near as comfortable as the grip on the body, especially since I spend most of my time shooting in portrait orientation

06-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #620
Veteran Member

If it is going to be
K-01
K-r replacement
K-30
K-5 replacement (guessing K-3)

Would it make sense for the model after K-r to actually be K-300? so it would read K- 3, 30, 300?

Last edited by parsons; 06-10-2012 at 04:41 PM.
06-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #621
Pentaxian

2nd card slot
Ethernet or WiFi
GPS

Well this is one option, to make the grip some expensive add on instead of a dumb thing that just holds a battery. But then again, such a grip would cost a lot.
06-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #622
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this is one option, to make the grip some expensive add on instead of a dumb thing that just holds a battery. But then again, such a grip would cost a lot.
Why would it? A smartphone got all of those functions, and many of them are cheaper than Pentax current grips. There are SD-cards with wifi. The controller for the SD-card could probably control both the card in the camera and in the grip, only an sd-port and some firmware needed?

People in this thread are so conservative minded.

adpo:
QuoteQuote:
the issue with integrating wifi into a camera is that you still make compromises. either you give up speed or you give up small size and risk high operating tempertures. an ethernet connection would generate much less heat and have a hundred if not a thousand times the throughput of a wireless connection.
Why would you give up speed? How is heat going from a wifi-chip going to be an issue? It would not, because it is only active when you transfer images/movies, also it's very small and can be placed far away from the sensor or whatever, size is a non issue, look at a smartphone, if you've seen one, you sound like a technophobe to me.

Wifi-speeds are fast enough, what are you going to do with a 100 times faster connection with todays standards in cameras? The cameras read and the computers write will limit the transfer, but new wifi standards and faster harddrives are coming.

Wired connections are going to disappear, you live in the 90's? An ethernet jack on the camera, lol, sorry, best idea I've heard, why would you want that? Why not make it USB3 instead? :-)
06-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #623
Veteran Member

I don't really disagree with your conclusion, but...

Make sure you're comparing smartphones 'without contract' when you're doing that comparison. And not to nitpick too much, but a smartphone doesn't have ethernet (not that I really care, wifi is fine/better as you mentioned) or a second SDHC card.

On top of that smartphones are manufactured in much larger volumes than camera grips.

06-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #624
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
a man can dream, can't he? tethering over ethernet would be such a lovely dream, especially in studio....
I would be happy with just standard USB 3.0 I have seen huge upgrades when even just using a ebay PCI USB 3.0 card and a pretec usb 3.0 card reader. I did a little testing on it HERE. So to be able to skip the middle steps and go direct to the camera would be sweet!
06-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #625
Inactive Account

Don't need ethernet on my camera - don't want it. Make it a modular option on an otherwise normal grip if it has to be included somewhere.

Rather have a dedicated K-Pad companion tablet with all that capability in it then jam yet more $ & 'features' into the dSLR.
06-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #626
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
Would it make sense for the model after K-r to actually be K-300? so it would read K- 3, 30, 300?
It would make sense, so Pentax will NOT adopt it.
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #627
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
It would make sense, so Pentax will NOT adopt it.
With a return of the K-30 line we may see the K-xxx return as well. The problem with K-3, K-30, K-300 line up is that different bodies will be on different life cycles, so the correlation would not last long. I kind of hope we see a K-5 super.
06-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #628
Veteran Member

With a return of the K-30 line we may see the K-xxx return as well. The problem with K-3, K-30, K-300 line up is that different bodies will be on different life cycles, so the correlation would not last long. I kind of hope we see a K-5 super.
If such a numbering plan is to happen, then by just thought - I think that perhaps Ricoh is setting Pentax on a long-term way to naming bodies consistently as Canon and Nikon does. But of course, this wouldn't last very long (10 years max, maybe? Unless they go C/N too after the 0's run out e.g. K310, K35, K3x, K3i, or something). A K-5 Super (or K5n,x,i,~) is also good, but marketing-wise, the "picture" may not sell as hot as "K-3" can... but that's just for the "name"
06-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #629
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If such a numbering plan is to happen, then by just thought - I think that perhaps Ricoh is setting Pentax on a long-term way to naming bodies consistently as Canon and Nikon does. But of course, this wouldn't last very long (10 years max, maybe? Unless they go C/N too after the 0's run out e.g. K310, K35, K3x, K3i, or something). A K-5 Super (or K5n,x,i,~) is also good, but marketing-wise, the "picture" may not sell as hot as "K-3" can... but that's just for the "name"
after ten years pentax might be starting to push up to 10% market share (sounds over optimistic i know) and by then the naming wouldn't make as much difference.

what i see as important is that pentax is an easy to understand brand, with a hope of drawing in a wider customer base because they are logical and clearly have an upgrade path in mind for anyone who wants to get more serious with their hobby. having a clear naming strategy reinforces this and makes it blatantly obvious. a person glancing at the on a shelf might be put off by loads of different names telling a different story.

3 also makes sense because pentax is aiming to be the third dominant player in the dslr industry.
06-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Don't need ethernet on my camera - don't want it. Make it a modular option on an otherwise normal grip if it has to be included somewhere.

Rather have a dedicated K-Pad companion tablet with all that capability in it then jam yet more $ & 'features' into the dSLR.

Yes, a K-Pad tablet to go with Pentax cameras would be nice. Maybe connected to the camera by way of WIFI. It should have a hard-drive for photo storage. It should be able to control the camera remotely and should WIFI tethering.

Then again just WIFI and an app for your smart phone or tablet.

Dave