Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just looked at the database for Pentax FA lenses... darn, I wish Pentax will reissue most of these as DFA. The DA line is so... small.

06-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #662
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Just looked at the database for Pentax FA lenses... darn, I wish Pentax will reissue most of these as DFA. The DA line is so... small.
A FF mirrorless is going to really pump up demand for older MF glass. With good focus peaking and a good EVF MF becomes very easy.

I would love to see many of the FA lenses brought back. Especially the 135mm A* F/1.8. Probably at the top of my list right now.
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #663
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
A FF mirrorless is going to really pump up demand for older MF glass. With good focus peaking and a good EVF MF becomes very easy.

I would love to see many of the FA lenses brought back. Especially the 135mm A* F/1.8. Probably at the top of my list right now.
you and me both. IF Pentax FF (mirrorless or mirrored) comes out, the A* 135 1.8 will be the cherry on top for a divorce after she finds the Pentax FF in my bag. I still don't know how she's letting me get away with the D800 and G 1.8 85mm Nikkor.

Maybe because she *thinks* she will be able to inherit my K5 kit. She wants to learn, but is scared to use the K5. Little does she know I'm getting her a K5 of her own shortly. :P
06-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #664
gtl
Veteran Member

Not too sure if I am right but won't the FA series have terrible purple fringe considering they were all not designed for digital? Looking at the FA limiteds and DA limiteds, this is definitely true.

06-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #665
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Not too sure if I am right but won't the FA series have terrible purple fringe considering they were all not designed for digital? Looking at the FA limiteds and DA limiteds, this is definitely true.
Some will have this problem. Looking tat results for the A 50mm F/1.2 and the A* 135mm f/1.8 I think they will be fine. I do think some of the current FA glass will disappoint on a high res-FF sensor. But we will have to see.
06-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #666
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Out of curiosity I went in and looked at all my shots I've taken with my FA 28-90 (which feels about as cheaply built as you can imagine a lens being, and is generally trashed by the reviews on this site).

I've seen PF with my old manual lenses - a LOT of it. I get it with my Sigma 70-300 as well.

The cheap old 28-90? None. Seriously. I think I found what MIGHT be PF in an overexposed shot of a yellow road sign against a blue train in sunlight, but its hard to tell, it simply could be the sign itself.

If I'm seeing nothing with my 28-90 (and I usually don't use in camera correction either) then I'm fairly certain that FA's that actually cost something should fare better, and better than perfection should be... perfect.

EDIT: I did find some very, very minor PF in a few shots, but the fact I had to actively search to find it means it wasn't that noticeable to begin with.

Last edited by Sagitta; 06-22-2012 at 09:08 PM.
06-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #667
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Out of curiosity I went in and looked at all my shots I've taken with my FA 28-90 (which feels about as cheaply built as you can imagine a lens being, and is generally trashed by the reviews on this site).

I've seen PF with my old manual lenses - a LOT of it. I get it with my Sigma 70-300 as well.

The cheap old 28-90? None. Seriously. I think I found what MIGHT be PF in an overexposed shot of a yellow road sign against a blue train in sunlight, but its hard to tell, it simply could be the sign itself.

If I'm seeing nothing with my 28-90 (and I usually don't use in camera correction either) then I'm fairly certain that FA's that actually cost something should fare better, and better than perfection should be... perfect.
The FA 77 definitively has PF. It's not a super-huge amount but it's definitely enough to make me have second thoughts about the lens.
06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #668
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The FA 77 definitively has PF. It's not a super-huge amount but it's definitely enough to make me have second thoughts about the lens.
That is not an exclusive problem to Pentax regarding lenses in this focal range. However, I have the 77 and am not worried about it at this point. I really don't see the FA 31 LTD having a problem. While the 40 is a nice lens, I still prefer the FA 43 or FA 50/1.4 over it.

06-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #669
Pentaxian

Just for gits and shiggles, I uploaded a bunch of shots from the 28-90 to my flickr that SHOULD be ripe for PF. On second glances, its there, but again, its hardly enough to worry about on a crop sensor. Unless you go in and peep like I did, its impossible to spot.

Pentax FA 28-89mm Purple Fringe Hunt - a set on Flickr
06-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I had second thoughts too (based on my in-shop testing and huge PF presence when shot directly at fluescent lights ) - so I bought the Contax Zeiss 85/1.4, which I love, instead. However a few months later the 77 Ltd found it's way into my bag regardless and guess which one gets by far the most use ? I've yet to notice PF in any shots (though I do use it mostly for portraits, either family & friends or on the street) so it really is only in very specific, and for me rare, circumstances that the PF may be an issue. Otherwise, for me, it's just a perfect lens.
06-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I've had the FA 28-90 before and I'm pretty much happy with it in terms of flare and PF. If the FA 28-105 PZ (which had even better PF control) didn't come along I wouldn't have sold the former. And somehow, my M 50 1.4 has less PF than my DA 35... or maybe I just shot wrongly, which I believe is the more acceptable reason.
06-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #672

They would if it were a straight re-release, but couldn't Pentax update them with digital-era coatings but leave the optical formula intact? For example the 35mm f2.4 is based on the FA 35mm f2, but with newer coatings to reduce that lens's well-known PF in digital. The change in maximum aperture can, I think, be accounted for (rather cynically) by Pentax marketing not wanting to make the FA31 look overpriced.
06-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #673
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
The change in maximum aperture can, I think, be accounted for (rather cynically) by Pentax marketing not wanting to make the FA31 look overpriced.
I hope that's not the case... by build standard the FA31 stomps the DAL 35 by miles, even if the latter is well-built for its class.
06-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #674
JPT
Pentaxian

I have the FA35, FA24-90 and FA100-300 (non power zoom) and none of them seem to be especially prone to PF. The lenses where I really notice PF are the M series. I'd especially like to see that FA24-90 updated. It's such a nice combination of range, weight and performance. If they gave it the WR treatment and DC motor, it would make a great mid-range lens for people who step up to FF.

As for being disappointing on a high-res FF sensor, I don't see why they would be any worse than a 16MP APS-C sensor. The pixel density would probably be lower. The difference is that we'll be seeing the edges of the frame again, so that might reveal weaknesses that have been hidden on APS-C.
06-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #675
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
(...)
The change in maximum aperture can, I think, be accounted for (rather cynically) by Pentax marketing not wanting to make the FA31 look overpriced.
I rather think it is because it allows for a less demanding, less precise, thus less costly, lens centring.