Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #691
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
The A55 which uses the same sensor as the K-5 but the scores speak for themselves:
It looks to me like the noise is equivalent.

07-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
To bump this thread a bit...

Stumbled upon this blog post. It's apparently referencing a thread on DPReview where a forum member posted saying a B&H Photo employee told him that the K-3 was being demonstrated to employees. I don't know if that thread has been referenced here, but either way!

Hmmm - how many degrees of separation is that?
That is normal practice. I had played with the K20, KM/2000 and the K7 weeks before announcement! And I were not an employee!

Rui
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #693
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
That is normal practice. I had played with the K20, KM/2000 and the K7 weeks before announcement! And I were not an employee!

Rui
If the K3 is going to be a late summer / Photokina release likely there are some people out shooting with early firmware to iron out bugs already. I think for the D800 one guy was using it almost a year before release under a non disclosure agreement
07-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #694
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I knew the K-3 would not be a FF and is APS-C, there's no way Pentax would pull a measly K-30 to replace the K-5, the K-30 is just an entry-level with certain mid-end ergonomics such as WR and twin dials. Also there's no way Pentax would call a FF a K-3 after seeing the K-7 being replaced by K-5, if it were a FF it would be called something else. My prediction is Pentax won't be announcing a FF until next year because they'll need to bring some re-ergonomically fabricated FA*'s back to the line-up.

One thing I'm afraid of is that Pentax will bring out another entry-level lower priced than the K-30, meaning there will be two entry-level bodies, only that the K-30 is closer to the mid-end. The price of nearly 900 for a entry-level scares me for a lower priced body coming out.I really hope Pentax keeps the tradition of making one entry-level, one semi-pro, and possibly pull out a full frame. That way they don't go down the road of Canikon making multiple bodies in the same class-range after stripping features one off another, ridiculous.

If this is a Sony 24MP sensor, then my guess is there is no way in hell that it will have better ISO noise levels than the K-5, maybe close, but if close is it then it's good enough because 24MP is a massive jump. Just hope the ISO noise levels don't drop dramatically on this new K-3 model.
The K-30 also sports a pentaprism. It's pretty clear that the K-30 is a mid-level DSLR, compared within the general DSLR market. It's actually pretty much dead even with the K-5, each camera simply has different trade-offs when compared to one another.

07-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
To bump this thread a bit...

Stumbled upon this blog post. It's apparently referencing a thread on DPReview where a forum member posted saying a B&H Photo employee told him that the K-3 was being demonstrated to employees. I don't know if that thread has been referenced here, but either way!

Hmmm - how many degrees of separation is that?
After a few comments within that DPReview thread, the OP admitted that it could have been the K-30 the B&H folks were talking about, not the K-3.
07-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #696
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-30 also sports a pentaprism. It's pretty clear that the K-30 is a mid-level DSLR, compared within the general DSLR market. It's actually pretty much dead even with the K-5, each camera simply has different trade-offs when compared to one another.
I agree that the K-30 is mid level. Not to argue, but I still don't think that Pentax will undershoot it with a cheaper dSLR model. Like I wrote before, look at the K-01. It was originally priced at $900. Do you think that they are working on a cheaper version of the K-01, or a more featured version at a similar price? The latter seemed to be the model for the K-30. A more featured version of the K-r at nearly the same price. (Or, perhaps, a slightly less featured version of the K-5 at a price similar to the K-r.) If there is one thing that PRICL fancies itself as is that it is not a cheap brand. Afterall they brought us that $300 limited edition clutch bag made from bull scrotums. (OK, I embellished that last part.) They want to charge a premium for being different. Where have we seen that before?
07-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #697
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I agree that the K-30 is mid level. Not to argue, but I still don't think that Pentax will undershoot it with a cheaper dSLR model. Like I wrote before, look at the K-01. It was originally priced at $900. Do you think that they are working on a cheaper version of the K-01, or a more featured version at a similar price? The latter seemed to be the model for the K-30. A more featured version of the K-r at nearly the same price. (Or, perhaps, a slightly less featured version of the K-5 at a price similar to the K-r.) If there is one thing that PRICL fancies itself as is that it is not a cheap brand. Afterall they brought us that $300 limited edition clutch bag made from bull scrotums. (OK, I embellished that last part.) They want to charge a premium for being different. Where have we seen that before?
I completely agree with you. And, I agree with this strategy, particularly if the successor to the K-01 includes an EVF (even if it's an optional attachment).

07-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #698
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...particularly if the successor to the K-01 includes an EVF (even if it's an optional attachment).
I don't think that PRICL has a choice. OVF's might not ever go away completely, but MILC's are made to have EVF's. At least if they want their MILC offerings to have broad appeal. I am not sure the K-01 has that.
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #699
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Well here: Kawauchi Interview Transcript and Reflections - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com its only said that two new bodies will appear this year...

Ok, got it: We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin It seems that was only a local guy, not one from HQ in Japan.
Yes, but the Brits have gotten it right nearly every time - while the spokesmen for PRIC have batted around .000. So, I'll take the comments from the UK General Manager with a lot more faith than those of anyone outside Pentax Japan.
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #700
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really want to believe the FF Pentax rumors, but I wont hold my breath. I will probably move to Sony once I see the A99 tested and the results.
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #701
Inactive Account

and they have them priced the same almost the same at this point, which is why it only makes sense that a newer version of the K5 will be announced this fall in the $1500.00 dollar range. There would be no reason to keep making the K5 and the K30, since really they compete with one another and and K5 is now almost 2 years old. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Williunck; 07-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.
07-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #702
Site Supporter

Was the K-r entry level?

The K-30 is being introduced at an MSRP of only $50 more than the K-r was. What features would a body below the K-30 have that the K-r didn't have? Maybe a 16mp sensor, improved low light AF, 100% VF, and focus peaking, that's probably it. Is it worth it to produce another body that only has those upgrades from the K-r, and be initially priced cheaper than the K-r was? Cheaper so that with the K-30 at $850, the entry level body would be $650-ish. I doubt it all, but I could be wrong. Considering the price the K-01 was introduced at, do you think that they will produce a cheaper version of the K-01? What features would they strip out of that?
While they had good specs and features, yes, the K-r (and K-x) were entry level. They had penta-mirror. The also had the 12mp processor instead of the K20d or K-7 processor. They also only had 1 dial and no sealing.
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #703
Site Supporter

I don't think that PRICL has a choice. OVF's might not ever go away completely, but MILC's are made to have EVF's. At least if they want their MILC offerings to have broad appeal. I am not sure the K-01 has that.
Many of the m4/3 don't have an EVF or an OVG. I have an optional optical matched VG for the 17mm lens. My GF2 has an optional EVF available for it. They could do something like that for the K-02.

Plus, there can be mirrorless cameras with a viewfinder, a la rangefinder. Look at what Fuji has done or Leica.
07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Many of the m4/3 don't have an EVF or an OVG. I have an optional optical matched VG for the 17mm lens. My GF2 has an optional EVF available for it. They could do something like that for the K-02.

Plus, there can be mirrorless cameras with a viewfinder, a la rangefinder. Look at what Fuji has done or Leica.
How are you liking your GF2? Are you using a converter for your array of Pentax lenses with it?
07-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #705
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How are you liking your GF2? Are you using a converter for your array of Pentax lenses with it?
I have a convertor. I seem to like it more for video than pics. I prefer the dSLR for serious work. I have been leaning towards selling m4/3 stuff because of that. I have left the dSLR behind a few times and ended up regretting it. If I keep it, I am going to get some primes for it, at least one such as the Oly 45/1.8