Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #706
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have a convertor. I seem to like it more for video than pics. I prefer the dSLR for serious work. I have been leaning towards selling m4/3 stuff because of that. I have left the dSLR behind a few times and ended up regretting it. If I keep it, I am going to get some primes for it, at least one such as the Oly 45/1.8
That's interesting, because I have the same camera and feel the same way about it. It really doesn't save me any meaningful space over my K-x. I have the Panasonic 14/2.5 and the 14-42/3.5-5.6 for it. My wife keeps asking for a "real pocket camera" to replace her dead Sony W170. I thought this would be it but she says that its "just like your other cameras". I'm really not getting this mirrorless craze. The cameras are just not any smaller when you put a lens on there and you loose so much over a dSLR. Ah well.

07-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #707
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The cameras are just not any smaller when you put a lens on there and you loose so much over a dSLR. Ah well.
That's exactly what I discovered shortly after I bought my NEX-5 a year or so ago. It sits in the cupboard a lot now.
07-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #708

Photos: Gallery
I decided to purchase the K-5 today. I already own a K-10 and K-7 but the price has come down on the K-5 to the point that I can't imagine it going much lower.

The K-30 is only $50 less and is being marketed as more of a beginner's camera. I enjoy both the cameras I have but have been envious of the quality of the high ISO photos that the K-5 can capture. I tell myself, "I never go over ISO 200 now so why do I need another camera body?" Because it is a nice feature when you need it and I like photos taken with ambient light.

$909 from B&H, that is good enough.
07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #709
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That's exactly what I discovered shortly after I bought my NEX-5 a year or so ago. It sits in the cupboard a lot now.
It's funny. I've gone precisely the other way. My K-7 sits in the drawer much of the time.
I agree about the kit lens though. That's why I recently bought the sigma 30mm for my NEX-5n.

The size thing is relevant. If you are going to buy a compact for your pocket, you need a compact for your pocket. My objections of 4/3 were not lens related, they were quality related.

Key point to me that is relevant to the topic is that whatever is ergonomic is appropriate. If you need to buy the grip to make it so for you, then do it.
Not everyone wants something the size of a D4.

07-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #710
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
It's funny. I've gone precisely the other way. My K-7 sits in the drawer much of the time.
I agree about the kit lens though. That's why I recently bought the sigma 30mm for my NEX-5n.

The size thing is relevant. If you are going to buy a compact for your pocket, you need a compact for your pocket. My objections of 4/3 were not lens related, they were quality related.

Key point to me that is relevant to the topic is that whatever is ergonomic is appropriate. If you need to buy the grip to make it so for you, then do it.
Not everyone wants something the size of a D4.
Certainly not, but the nice thing with the K5 you can have it both ways.
07-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #711
Veteran Member

agreed, mostly I carry around body only without grip, but if I decide to shoot with my 24-70 2.8 or another big lens I will revert to the grip for balance. Bloody heavy for a walkabout camera that way though. Most days i have the body and 2-4 primes and it weighs less
If I really wanted compact (and there are days i do) I'd be looking at a niche compact like the GRDIV from Ricoh, though right now I think I'd wait until photokina since the replacement is due soon. they have a patent for a 19mm f2.5 for apsc and a 14mm f2.5 for m4/3. either of these could end up being a really interesting GRDV, or they could end as lensors for the GXR
07-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #712
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
agreed, mostly I carry around body only without grip, but if I decide to shoot with my 24-70 2.8 or another big lens I will revert to the grip for balance. Bloody heavy for a walkabout camera that way though. Most days i have the body and 2-4 primes and it weighs less
If I really wanted compact (and there are days i do) I'd be looking at a niche compact like the GRDIV from Ricoh, though right now I think I'd wait until photokina since the replacement is due soon. they have a patent for a 19mm f2.5 for apsc and a 14mm f2.5 for m4/3. either of these could end up being a really interesting GRDV, or they could end as lensors for the GXR
I have mine on most of the time as my hands just fit the camera better with it on. I also really like the fact that I can shoot portrait all day long without cramping my right wrist from twisting it around. The 2nd battery and the hidden SD card have also come in handy, to say the least, from time to time as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all balances with the 70-200/2.8 on it that is scheduled to arrive today

07-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #713
Veteran Member

I have mine on most of the time as my hands just fit the camera better with it on. I also really like the fact that I can shoot portrait all day long without cramping my right wrist from twisting it around. The 2nd battery and the hidden SD card have also come in handy, to say the least, from time to time as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all balances with the 70-200/2.8 on it that is scheduled to arrive today
Given most of my life I've been twisting my wrist like that I'm not overly bothered, though with the bigger lenses it is nice. Like most people the K7/5 is smaller than my hands so one finger hangs off but It's still a better grip than my Rangefinders
07-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #714
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clem Quote
I decided to purchase the K-5 today. I already own a K-10 and K-7 but the price has come down on the K-5 to the point that I can't imagine it going much lower.

The K-30 is only $50 less and is being marketed as more of a beginner's camera.

Where did you see it marketed as a beginner's camera? marketing failure if so.
07-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Where did you see it marketed as a beginner's camera? marketing failure if so.
There are LOADS more beginners, particularly in China which is THE emerging market, than advanced dSLR users. Marketing success.
07-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #716
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The point mee was trying to make is the K-30 is *not* aimed at the beginner market. It is an intermediate level DSLR.
I have no doubt lots of beginners will buy it anyway, but to really capitalise on the beginner market there will need to be be an entry-level DSLR below it.
07-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The point mee was trying to make is the K-30 is *not* aimed at the beginner market. It is an intermediate level DSLR.
I have no doubt lots of beginners will buy it anyway, but to really capitalise on the beginner market there will need to be be an entry-level DSLR below it.
and the odds are very good there will be at Photokina, Just in time for the key fall selling season in many markets
07-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #718
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely. K5 without a grip and a limited lens is a pretty small package. At the same time, stick a telephoto and grip on and it balances perfectly. Few people would argue that mirrorless tech works well with telephotos, or even bigger sized lenses (aka f2.8 zooms). Seems to be relegated to primes and slow zooms.
07-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #719

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
and the odds are very good there will be at Photokina, Just in time for the key fall selling season in many markets
I hope so - I really need the FF and would really like to take advantage of all this wonderful older glass.
I will give Pentax until next spring and then I will have no choice but to look at other marks.
07-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #720
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldSchoolPentax Quote
I hope so - I really need the FF and would really like to take advantage of all this wonderful older glass.
I will give Pentax until next spring and then I will have no choice but to look at other marks.
LOL I was referring to an entry level being at Photokina, but I think we will see a prototype of a FF with a spring target too.