Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also think that the K-5 feature list is fantastic. Ideally, I’d love to see that model continue with slight improvements, and eventually come down in price to $999 when the next camera comes in above it at the same price the K-5 was with more features and a larger body. I think many current Pentax people would love the K5 at a lower price

I think Johnbee’s list of enhancements is very good. The Number 1 feature for me for this higher end cam, by far-

Better AF-C performance and tracking.

The rest:
• Improved flash system including higher synch speed and control over remote flash power from cam LCD
• Continued sensor improvement to handle ISO better and better
• Bigger, better LCD, with improvements to quickly check focus
• Manual video controls
• Articulating screen
• Touch screen controls
• Customizable viewfinder warnings

What I mean by customizable viewfinder warnings is being able to change the way warnings in the viewfinder are displayed. For example, for me, the override I forget about most is Exposure Compensation. I’d love to be able to set my camera to flash that in the viewfinder when it’s on.

You know what would be great under touch screen controls? I’d love for the camera to be able to identify the rough relative locations of Pentax remote flashes to the camera, and at the touch of a button produce a rough lighting diagram on the LCD. Then tap one of the flashes on the LCD and change the settings on it. Shoot again, review the result, zoom with your fingers, repeat.

05-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
O I just came on one new item:

New bigger and better in-RAW Jpg to have a better review on an offcourse new and improved screen.
05-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
wont our glass have issues with a 24mp? thats alot of mp for glass designed with far less in mind
Good lenses will not have a problem. 4/3 & M4/3 is running at the same pixel density and there are lots of great images taken with legacy glass. One of them best things about M4/3 is the lens adapters you can get and all of the old MF lenses you can use with the system.

Hopefully Pentax releases some new glass designed to take full advantage of the 24MP sensor. Until the AA filter is removed glass will not be limiting factor.
05-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I have decided that my next camera body will be a full frame. I'd like it to be a Pentax because I really don't want to invest in an entirely new system, but I will have my 35mm frame back one way or the other. There are many more like me out there.

So that's the feature I'd like to see in a K-3 or K-4. Full Frame. Or hell, call it a K-1 and let the APS-C crowd have the K-3. Call it Ignatious P. Stinkybritches, I don't care, just give it to me.

I don't need video capabilities because I'm a still photographer, not a film maker. I applaud them for leaving this feature off the 645D, it doesn't belong on a professional still camera and only serves to drive up the price. I don't need 24MP because I don't enlarge my photos to subway poster size, but maybe some do, at least it's not a gimmicky feature. I don't need higher ISO performance that really isn't usable. The K5's performance is fine, if you need more than that, you just need more light, period.

I DO need more autofocus points and in a wider array. Come on 11 points is SO meager. I mainly do portraits, but better continuous AF would be appreciated. Of course you need more AF points to make that happen.

Oh yeah, No goofy colors please. Silver is ok, but the grip doesn't match; oh well. Lets have a true professional camera built with the same mind set as the 645D, but with a price tag under $4000.

05-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Other than the mentioned continued improvements in AF, speed etc, there are a few things I'd like to see, but it seems not many are interested:
- True LOW ISO. I would love to see 80, maybe 50 or even 25 for loooong exposures. I know, I can use ND filters and there might be 3 more people in the world besides me wanting that.
- Give me the choice of keeping SR ON even with timer, mirror lockup or remote shutter release. Think 500mm and a less than super-rock solid tripod.
- Find a way to change, improve or KILL DFS. It breaks my heart to see a 5 minute night exposure in a Canon come to life 2 seconds after the shot, 5 minutes and 5 seconds in mine.

However, keep in mind I'm using a K20D so there might be some improvements in these areas in the K7/K5 I'm not aware.

Thanks,
05-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #66

k5 has iso 80 and can turn off DFS - the thing with sr is that tripod movements are different apparently and sr cant help with them and infact jsut makes them worse so dont think it would benefit you at all - best advice there is get a better tripod
05-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I have decided that my next camera body will be a full frame. I'd like it to be a Pentax because I really don't want to invest in an entirely new system, but I will have my 35mm frame back one way or the other. There are many more like me out there.

So that's the feature I'd like to see in a K-3 or K-4. Full Frame. Or hell, call it a K-1 and let the APS-C crowd have the K-3. Call it Ignatious P. Stinkybritches, I don't care, just give it to me.

I don't need video capabilities because I'm a still photographer, not a film maker. I applaud them for leaving this feature off the 645D, it doesn't belong on a professional still camera and only serves to drive up the price. I don't need 24MP because I don't enlarge my photos to subway poster size, but maybe some do, at least it's not a gimmicky feature. I don't need higher ISO performance that really isn't usable. The K5's performance is fine, if you need more than that, you just need more light, period.

I DO need more autofocus points and in a wider array. Come on 11 points is SO meager. I mainly do portraits, but better continuous AF would be appreciated. Of course you need more AF points to make that happen.

Oh yeah, No goofy colors please. Silver is ok, but the grip doesn't match; oh well. Lets have a true professional camera built with the same mind set as the 645D, but with a price tag under $4000.
They did not add HD video to the 645D because the CCD sensor does not support it. Any new FF sensor is going to be CMOS and have full HD video support. IF Pentax had the ability to put HD video on the 645D they would have done it.

What glass do you plan on using on a FF Pentax? Take a look at the edge sharpness of the current limited lenses on an APS-C sensor. Look at the amount of vignetting you get on APS-C. I really don't think people would be happy with the lens performance of the 31mm, 43mm, or 77mm on a FF digital. Film is much more forgiving than the modern high resolution sensor.

I would love to see Pentax produce a FF option, but they don't have the resources to develop FF and develop a new mirrorless line, the 645D line, and continue to expand the APS-C line. They are just now returning to profitability.
05-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
- Give me the choice of keeping SR ON even with timer, mirror lockup or remote shutter release. Think 500mm and a less than super-rock solid tripod.
Seconded. Even if tripod vibration can't be corrected, sometimes when I switch from tripod with remote release to hand-held, I forget to turn it on. I really haven't noticed a big drain on the battery with SR on, but even if there was, the choice would be nice.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 05-20-2011 at 06:02 AM.
05-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Don't worry there are a lot of armchair scientists, physicists, opticians, sensor and lens designers here with degrees in bullshit
too true...

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I hate debarcles, you have to scrape the hull.
Best comment in this thread yet.
For boat enthusiasts at least

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
My thoughts
Unfortunately, there is NR in Pentax RAW which cannot be turned-off.
Which is why I posted True NR: OFF. iow. when we say NR: OFF, please give us NR: OFF.

PS. I myself call this low level NR. But for the most part it's a hardware level NR that seems hard wired into the sensor and camera.
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
too true...

Best comment in this thread yet.
For boat enthusiasts at least

Unfortunately, there is NR in Pentax RAW which cannot be turned-off.
Which is why I posted True NR: OFF. iow. when we say NR: OFF, please give us NR: OFF.

PS. I myself call this low level NR. But for the most part it's a hardware level NR that seems hard wired into the sensor and camera.
Yup, the CDS and the NR in the ADC are hardwired from all the explanations I've read. I'm not a chip guy but those explanations seem clear. And it's OK that Sony followed the approach - that work cannot reasonably be done in software anyway.
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Yup, the CDS and the NR in the ADC are hardwired from all the explanations I've read. I'm not a chip guy but those explanations seem clear. And it's OK that Sony followed the approach - that work cannot reasonably be done in software anyway.
Yes, all Sony sensors use some NR before the A/D conversion, but the D7000 and A55 both use the same sensor as the K-5 and they are not showing NR being applied from ISO 1600 and up. Pentax is doing something different.

Maybe the hardware NR can be controlled by firmware and Pentax is turning it up as ISO1600 and up. I'm not sure.

The RAW NR that is being applied is minor and from what I have seen IQ is not suffering.
05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #72

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've Always Loved the Pentax Upgrades

It seems that each new generation of the Pentax flagship is a good one, so while I don't know what it will be, if history is any indicator it will be significant and worth waiting for.

In the meantime, most of us are not held back because our camera equipment isn't good enough, we're held back by our own limitations as photographers.

I typically try to upgrade every other time, but will just have to see what Pentax comes out with next time. At this point my K-7, while not the latest and greatest, is still serving me incredibly well.
05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Other than the mentioned continued improvements in AF, speed etc, there are a few things I'd like to see, but it seems not many are interested:
- True LOW ISO. I would love to see 80, maybe 50 or even 25 for loooong exposures. I know, I can use ND filters and there might be 3 more people in the world besides me wanting that.
- Find a way to change, improve or KILL DFS. It breaks my heart to see a 5 minute night exposure in a Canon come to life 2 seconds after the shot, 5 minutes and 5 seconds in mine.

However, keep in mind I'm using a K20D so there might be some improvements in these areas in the K7/K5 I'm not aware.

I would love to see all three things you mention. The iso 80 with the K-5 is great. I would really love to see iso 50 and iso 25. I just hate to use ND filters.
05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes, all Sony sensors use some NR before the A/D conversion, but the D7000 and A55 both use the same sensor as the K-5 and they are not showing NR being applied from ISO 1600 and up. Pentax is doing something different.

Maybe the hardware NR can be controlled by firmware and Pentax is turning it up as ISO1600 and up. I'm not sure.

The RAW NR that is being applied is minor and from what I have seen IQ is not suffering.
I concur...

Though in my own tests, I've found a notable hit in IQ at ISO3200 against the competition. Which I expressed in earlier threads. Which is partly why, I think Pentax should offer a true NR: OFF feature in RAW for those of use who want to get picky with the output. Mainly as I think the K-5 could have done better without it up to ISO6400 imo.

Also on the issue of better, I'd say the chroma NR applied at the sensor level is definitely above average. However given the global approach, may not always present itself as the best solution. So better than average(that's for sure), but not likely the best approach in all cases.

In some very interesting tests shots conducted by dgaies earlier this year, I found a notable improvement bewteen NR bypassed RAW files and NR RAW's of the same sensitivity by using software based processing. Which isn't to say that the software was better "per say" but that the option to "control" or fine tune the applied NR proved more beneficial than the global NR method applied by the hardware. (to help explain that a bit).

Anyways, all this to say that it's there and it would be a plus if it were an option
The camera in itself will be perfectly fine with or without it and it would nothing more than a convenience. Though I myself limit my shooting to ISO2000 so as to avoid it
05-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, k5 can turn DFS off.
Yes, SR on tripod (tested with my 500mm Tamron) creates problem rather than solving them.
It is very easily seen with Liveview: it shakes with sr on, doesnt with sr off.