Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
While I have big doubts about the flash system automatic backup, I'm pretty sure that in the controls and layout department that it will follow the K-5's button placements but with the K-30's 4-way-controller layout.

And about the mention of a 135 f/2 or f/1.8... Jeez that's droolworthy. I hope Pentax takes time to consider that focal length! Or at least re-release the FA 85...
Given everything that has gone on, I have no idea what to expect from Pentax. I think they will use the 24MP APS-C and I think it will outperform the current 16MP, but I think AF is the most important thing at this point.

What is different about the K-30's 4-way controller?

08-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #752
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
well, placements are different... WB on the left, popup flash control on the bottom, and drive mode on top got re-arranged on the K-30.
08-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #753
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
well, placements are different... WB on the left, popup flash control on the bottom, and drive mode on top got re-arranged on the K-30.
Haha, yes, I hate such things. When I tested the K30, I constantly pressed the wrong buttons.
08-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #754
Pentaxian

It's better, I mean the controller itself - the keys have a better, well defined shape. Its placement is not so good IMO (shorter fingers required - well, the space is limited) but it's not that bad, I was easily able to use it. I guess it would be more difficult with a handstrap?

08-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does the return of the K-30 (K-10, K-20) mean we will see a shift in Pentax marketing plan? Assuming they have had one.

Instead of the K-m/K-x/K-r will we see a K-300 entry level or is the K-01 the new entry level?
Is the K-30 the mid-price point DSLR?
Will the K-5 replacement be enough of an upgrade to justify the price difference over the K-30? K-30 is a pretty strong camera for the price.

Are we going to see a 3-4 camera body line-up from Pentax?
Is there room for a K-r replacement and a K-01?
08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #756
Pentaxian

Is the K-30 the mid-price point DSLR?
Yes.

Will the K-5 replacement be enough of an upgrade to justify the price difference over the K-30?
At $1,100 yes, at $1,600, no. Of course, it depends on what is offered in the camera. Some people have drunk the MP kool-aid and really want a 24 MP APS-C sensor. If the K-3 comes with such a sensor, there may be some people who will want it to get more MP. I'd actually be willing to pay as much $1,300 for a 16 MP K-3 with improved AF and improved QC. I'd choose the K-30, however, over any APS-C 24 MP camera.

Are we going to see a 3-4 camera body line-up from Pentax?
I suspect so. Three APS-C bodies and the K-01 (or K-02).

Is there room for a K-r replacement and a K-01?
Absolutely. The K-01 doesn't have a viewfinder. It is awkward to use a camera P&S style with any large lens and/or a decent-sized flash unit.
08-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #757
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'd choose the K-30, however, over any APS-C 24 MP camera.
For all time? Or just sensors that have been previously introduced? Are you concerned about file size or something?
08-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think Pentax can get much better performance out of the 24MP sensor than what we have seen from Sony. Look at what Pentax has done with the K-5 16MP sensor compared to the NEX-5 with the same 16MP sensor. Pentax can probably get more out of the 24MP APS-C than the 16MP. Even if the noise/DR match the 16MP it will produce better IQ for prints.

08-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #759
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax can get much better performance out of the 24MP sensor than what we have seen from Sony. .
It might not even be the same sensor. It might be that the next generation of sensors is due. Rumors say Nikon will use the same sensor in their pro APS DSLR (D400?).
08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #760
mee
Pentaxian

Instead of the K-m/K-x/K-r will we see a K-300 entry level or is the K-01 the new entry level?

This too is what I'd like to know. There is A LOT of talk on the K-3, some talk of K-5 II, not much of any talk of K-300.

I think the K-300 could be the more interesting of the bunch.. obviously at the low end it is a battle between keeping the price low and providing a decent amount of features from the higher tiered products..

I wonder what they will cut/keep?

***IF*** there is a K-300, I'd think we'd see same sensor as in the K-30 (and why not? it's from the K-01), Same AF from K-30, Same Video features from K-30, pentamirror from K-r, no WR, no focus peaking (but it would be nice!), 1 control wheel, shake reduction from K-r, and probably no TAv or other exposure modes than already on K-r...

That would still be a rather nice upgrade... for entry level.
08-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This too is what I'd like to know. There is A LOT of talk on the K-3, some talk of K-5 II, not much of any talk of K-300.

I think the K-300 could be the more interesting of the bunch.. obviously at the low end it is a battle between keeping the price low and providing a decent amount of features from the higher tiered products..

I wonder what they will cut/keep?

***IF*** there is a K-300, I'd think we'd see same sensor as in the K-30 (and why not? it's from the K-01), Same AF from K-30, Same Video features from K-30, pentamirror from K-r, no WR, no focus peaking (but it would be nice!), 1 control wheel, shake reduction from K-r, and probably no TAv or other exposure modes than already on K-r...

That would still be a rather nice upgrade... for entry level.
Focus peaking seems like it's a no-cost improvement - i.e. software only. I'd prefer to see them keep it, and save money on stuff that actually saves money.
08-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
***IF*** there is a K-300, I'd think we'd see same sensor as in the K-30 (and why not? it's from the K-01), Same AF from K-30, Same Video features from K-30, pentamirror from K-r, no WR, no focus peaking (but it would be nice!), 1 control wheel, shake reduction from K-r, and probably no TAv or other exposure modes than already on K-r... That would still be a rather nice upgrade... for entry level.
And perhaps they'd allow mutli-colored parts now e.g. white viewfinder hump, yellow grip, red under plate, green back plate... stuff like that (who knows? or maybe just for the lulz). But I do agree on keeping the focus peaking part. I guess it will have the K-r's power options too...

and back to the K-3 (if it will be the K-3 or just a K-5 Super/N/Mk II) it's inevitable that it should have focus peaking and the K-30's fast refresh rate. I'm thinking that all these delays Ricoh made are for tweaking the AF system... at least
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #763
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
For all time? Or just sensors that have been previously introduced? Are you concerned about file size or something?
I don't need 24 MP. The advantages in terms of practical IQ are negligible, while the disadvantages in terms of storage and processing time are palpable. I don't want the hassle of dealing with more MP than I need. I've taken 25,000 photos in the last 15 months. I have enough trouble processing and storing the K-5 16 MP files. The last thing I need is to have 25,000 24 MP files to deal with.
08-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #764
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Focus peaking seems like it's a no-cost improvement - i.e. software only. I'd prefer to see them keep it, and save money on stuff that actually saves money.

I would too.. However, they have to make the differences enough to warrant the different products.. If the K-300 had what I think it has plus software features such as the focus peaking.. well... I'd buy that over my planned K-30 purchase. WR would be nice but not necessary.. esp when I'd need WR lenses (extra cost) and the extra wheel is another nicety that isn't necessary...

I suspect this will be like certain CPU and Video Card/GPU manufacturers disabling some of the cores and rebranding it a different product.. sure they could most all be top of the line.. but they have to draw the line somewhere and make the middle tier more attractive over the lower tier. Dilemma.

Upgraded K3 is probably even more of a dilemma if it is a souped up K-30/K-5 amalgamation..
08-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #765
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
24 megapixel

Well I still am in favor for an updated K-5n with 16mp and updated electronics and AF module. Because I like to use my camera for hi-iso use. Why would someone want 24 megapixel? Well I went to the presspresentation for the new womens soccerleague that is starting next week and is a combination league for the best teams of Belgium and The Netherlands (bigger area to recruit better soccerplayers with almost 27 miljon people living).

Not very ideal for taking good images but this series has them all:
BeNeLeague soccerteams

For this 24 megapixel would be nice. All made with K-01 and FA31mm.