Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes, SR on tripod (tested with my 500mm Tamron) creates problem rather than solving them.
It is very easily seen with Liveview: it shakes with sr on, doesnt with sr off.
But with a monopod I do like the SR turned on.

05-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Never tried with monopod
05-19-2011, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sony Rumors is now claiming they have confirmed that the A77 will be announced on July 7th - 7/7 - The camera will retail for $1099 with kit lens.

Also speculation that the Nex -7 will be announced with the A77.

I find it hard to believe that A77 will have the build quality and IQ that people are expecting from the A700 replacement for $1099, but the Sony crowd seem pretty excited.

The 3 million dpi OLED VF sounds interesting.

If the price and performance is accurate then the K-5 will be under some serious price pressure.
05-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony Rumors is now claiming they have confirmed that the A77 will be announced on July 7th - 7/7 - The camera will retail for $1099 with kit lens.

Also speculation that the Nex -7 will be announced with the A77.

I find it hard to believe that A77 will have the build quality and IQ that people are expecting from the A700 replacement for $1099, but the Sony crowd seem pretty excited.

The 3 million dpi OLED VF sounds interesting.

If the price and performance is accurate then the K-5 will be under some serious price pressure.
I think it is always exciting to see and hear new developments and the A77 is no exception imo.
However, I really have to question if the translucent mirror isn't more than passing technology as mirrorless systems continue to develope. And I'm saying this for any other reason than trying to imagine what an ideal kit would be given what's out there.

Nevertheless, I think Sony has shown itself to be one of the most aggressive competitors that any other camera company has ever seen. I mean... were talking about a company that has been moving through developements faster than anyone could of ever imagined. And the most impressive part is, how consistent they've been in their product cycles. Which makes me wonder if the competition isn't starting to get nervous.

I remember when Sony first started in the DSLR business. With their brick sized and shaped bodies, it seemed that the only thing they had going for them was the glass. But now... when I look at their readmap, I'm starting to feel as though they may just end-up being taken seriously! - I know the A55 proved to have some pretty good ideas incorporated into them. But as always... pioneering new ideas can be both costly and painful. And so I get the feeling their will be alot riding on on the upcoming A77.

But if Sony can pull off improving the resolution and ISO handling, while ironing-out all of the A55 bugs... I think they might just hit that landmark!

Looks like its going to be an exciting month of July

05-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shot with an EOS RT for a couple of years and really loved that camera. The RT had a pellicle mirror like the A55/A77.

I think the SLT technology is a bridge until EVFs and CDAF can reach the same level of performance of PDAF. Although I am not excited about EVFs I realize they will eventually take over as the standard.

Technology will eventually be at the point where mirror-less professional cameras dominate the industry. I remember when AF started to make a push and the technology was rather awkward (for Pentax is may still be a little awkward). At one point in-camera light meters were viewed as a gimmick.

I have not had a change to use the A55, but I have held one and it feel a little cheap. I'm not sure if I am a fan of the new technology or not. I need to actually use it decide. I do know that the CZ 24-70, CZ85mm, & CZ 135mm are very tempting. Those three and an A900 would be the prefect replacement for my 5D and current 24-70L, 85L, 135L.

Sony will always have good sensors, and the CZ glass is not too shabby. They just need to improve the bodies and supporting technologies.
05-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think it is always exciting to see and hear new developments and the A77 is no exception imo.
However, I really have to question if the translucent mirror isn't more than passing technology as mirrorless systems continue to develope. And I'm saying this for any other reason than trying to imagine what an ideal kit would be given what's out there.

Nevertheless, I think Sony has shown itself to be one of the most aggressive competitors that any other camera company has ever seen. I mean... were talking about a company that has been moving through developements faster than anyone could of ever imagined. And the most impressive part is, how consistent they've been in their product cycles. Which makes me wonder if the competition isn't starting to get nervous.

I remember when Sony first started in the DSLR business. With their brick sized and shaped bodies, it seemed that the only thing they had going for them was the glass. But now... when I look at their readmap, I'm starting to feel as though they may just end-up being taken seriously! - I know the A55 proved to have some pretty good ideas incorporated into them. But as always... pioneering new ideas can be both costly and painful. And so I get the feeling their will be alot riding on on the upcoming A77.

But if Sony can pull off improving the resolution and ISO handling, while ironing-out all of the A55 bugs... I think they might just hit that landmark!

Looks like its going to be an exciting month of July
I actually wonder if it will moving mirrors that are pushed to the sidelines as mirrorless and pellicle mirror continue to rise. After all, the benefits of a fixed mirror are pretty convincing, while the one downside - loss of half a stop of light - becomes less and less important as usable ISOs climb into the the 5 digit range.
05-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am really to the point where I believe the best move Pentax could make is to develop a FF mirror-less body with splash proof body and lenses. A mirror-less professional grade body with a new line of FA Limited lenses would make a major splash.

Canon and Nikon can't do it because they have all of the legacy FF DSLR system to support. Pentax has no "pro" grade FF DSLR to protect.
05-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #83

I am really to the point where I believe the best move Pentax could make is to develop a FF mirror-less body with splash proof body and lenses. A mirror-less professional grade body with a new line of FA Limited lenses would make a major splash.

Canon and Nikon can't do it because they have all of the legacy FF DSLR system to support. Pentax has no "pro" grade FF DSLR to protect.

+ 1

I think that whichever company first comes out with a small sized, affordable FF body will be a game changer!

Pentax could really lead the way!

Im really hoping that Pentax has not given up the FF yet. There must be a lot of Pentax shooters out there who are looking for a real upgrade.

05-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For a 24 megapixel sensor, you would need significant improvement in processing speed to keep up. As it is, the K5's buffer is very slow to empty (although it certainly is slower to fill than the D7000).

I just got a K5 and I really don't feel like I am going to need more camera than it from a sensor standpoint for a long, long time. However, it is the other things -- auto focus, video mode, etc (John Bee did a good job summarizing them) that I would be looking for.

Right now, frankly, I think Pentax needs to work on getting some faster lenses into their line up -- both fast from aperture stand point as well as faster from an auto focus stand point. I just don't think the camera body is the big sticking point at this point when it comes to focus speed, but rather the speed of SDM.
Well, I wasn't the one suggesting they go for a higher MP sensor: don't really see the need, and as you mentioned, there's disadvantages to just making monster files. Whatever works there is fine. With the AF, there's probably always room for improvement, precisionwise, anyway.
05-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #85

More megapixels? I already spend enough with file storage....
05-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #86
Veteran Member

File storage is dirt cheap nowadays and will only become cheaper and cheaper...

Jason
05-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #87

Still... i don't want more pixels, I want better pixels.
05-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Well that is my idea to. I expected it maybe for this year, but tha isn't going to happen anymore. A FF in any way isn't to be expected before PhotoKina 2012.

R&D wise it would be best to keep K-mount and flanchdistance even with a mirrorless body (maybe with some retractable tube) to keep just the current lenslines since there will be no budget for devaloping just another lensline and if APS-C dies out because off lack off new products (see Olympus) then there is not enough market for Pentax.
05-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Is it time to post my wish list again? It's nothing like anyone else's, because it doesn't focus on technological trickery but rather making a camera that is better and easier to use.
  • assignable Soft Button and Soft Switch
  • configurable Soft Menu
  • user modes that remember all settings
  • switchable "catch-in-focus" that works for AF lenses (add to switch)
  • in-camera hyperfocal distance calculation
  • focus bracketing
  • improved P-TTL that works
  • non-crippled KA-F mount for aperture coupling
  • 110% viewfinder coverage with marked sensor range
  • 1.0x viewfinder magnification
  • switchable low-pass (AA) filter
  • increased diopter range of viewfinder
  • return to superior K20D SD card compartment
  • dual SD card slots
  • ability to set dials to ISO in M mode
  • ability to add aperture information manually (like you can focal length)
  • option to not release shutter unless SR engaged
  • option for shooting RAW with fewer megapixels (increase processor rate and storage)
  • tethered shooting with software access to camera parameters
  • lower iso settings: 50, 25...
  • AF in video
  • full manual control in video
  • put green button back on top panel
  • and then stop messing around with control placements for no good reason
05-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #90
Pentaxian

I have to ask, Robin: is a lower ISO any help if it's electronically-derived rather than created by a different base sensitivity for the sensor?

We used very low ISO/ASA for the physical characteristics of film (high res and not applicable in the event of electronic sensors) and/or to keep highlights under control at point of collection (not applicable here - that requires a larger electron well). Or is the latter what you had in mind? Sounds like an engineering/cost challenge.

An ND gets us the latter effect, I think. What did I miss?

Otherwise, you read my mind .....