Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would prefer a lower base ISO which (someone more technical might need to correct me) would also benefit all higher ISOs in terms of smoothness and noise. Essentially, it shifts the baseline.

However, I would be happy with a built-in ND filter as in video cameras. Now that DSLRs also shoot video I wonder why it has not been implemented.

05-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I am really to the point where I believe the best move Pentax could make is to develop a FF mirror-less body with splash proof body and lenses. A mirror-less professional grade body with a new line of FA Limited lenses would make a major splash.

Canon and Nikon can't do it because they have all of the legacy FF DSLR system to support. Pentax has no "pro" grade FF DSLR to protect.
I agree although I'm personally not interested in a full frame system. For me, at least at this point in time, I'm invested in and very satisfied with the 1.5 crop sensor. There is no doubt that a full frame system is better. The question for me is at what price? As a serious amateur photographer I'm where I want to be with the cropped sensor.

However, I do think it makes a great deal of business sense for Pentax to go after a game changing design that would make a serious dent in the Canikon world. This should, if done properly, simply strengthen the entire Pentax system and insure their long-term success on multiple fronts.
05-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
I agree although I'm personally not interested in a full frame system. For me, at least at this point in time, I'm invested in and very satisfied with the 1.5 crop sensor. There is no doubt that a full frame system is better. The question for me is at what price? As a serious amateur photographer I'm where I want to be with the cropped sensor.

However, I do think it makes a great deal of business sense for Pentax to go after a game changing design that would make a serious dent in the Canikon world. This should, if done properly, simply strengthen the entire Pentax system and insure their long-term success on multiple fronts.
I think wider glass will be the preference for a mirror-less design. It is easier to design wide glass for FF than for APS-C. If you made a wish list of the lenses you would want for a mirror-less (Samsun NX type camera) what would it be.
15mm f/4
20mm f/2.8
31mm f/2
43mm f/2
60mm Macro
77mm f/2

I don't see lenses larger than the 135mm being in demand for this type of system. Updating the designs of the current 31mm, 43mm, & 77mm and giving people the traditional FoV with these lenses would be a good selling point.

In terms of the glass for the system what would be best, and what format would work best with the glass?

I look at it as glass first. What lenses would I want in a mirror-less system and then ask what format is best for those focal lengths.
05-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
However, I would be happy with a built-in ND filter as in video cameras. Now that DSLRs also shoot video I wonder why it has not been implemented.
Robin, i like your idea of a built-in ND filter. That would solve the problem of getting enough light to focus with. with the screw in ND filters, i guess some folks unscrew the filter long enough to focus the camera,, then install the filter- how cumbersome. Plus having to carry filters for each lens, etc.

05-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #95
Veteran Member

This start to be a garbage subject. Everbody want to have everything . This is just a rumor nothing else
05-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The wife and I took a class from a Pro Photographer last weekend and he showed us a few of his shots using a 3mg and a 6mg camera's. He said anything larger than 6mg is a waste and a gimic. He had wall size prints in a large Hotel and it was shot with a 6mg canon. It it was beautiful I couldn't believe it was done with that camera.
So I would be happy with a pro 10mg camera no video.
05-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The wife and I took a class from a Pro Photographer last weekend and he showed us a few of his shots using a 3mg and a 6mg camera's. He said anything larger than 6mg is a waste and a gimic. He had wall size prints in a large Hotel and it was shot with a 6mg canon. It it was beautiful I couldn't believe it was done with that camera.
So I would be happy with a pro 10mg camera no video.
Yes its true, advertised resolution is often misconstrued in marketing or selling points. However, there are other advantages to higher Mega Pixel camera's beyond that of print size also. And so I guess it really comes down to ones needs.

BTW, if I didn't shoot lansdcape images, I'd be more than happy with a 10-12MP camera. However, since scenery can be very demanding in both print and micro-detail and so I often find myself looking for more resolution due to that.

05-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This start to be a garbage subject. Everbody want to have everything . This is just a rumor nothing else
It is posted in the RUMOR section for a reason.

If you don't think the discussion is worth participating in then..... don't participate.
05-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Plus having to carry filters for each lens, etc.
Thats whats so good about Cokin-style filters. Just a different, cheap adapter ring for each different size filter thread you have.
05-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Quite excited about all the new sensor tech, I'd be surprised if it was ~24 MP though. Canon better get their fingers out or I could see my Pentax lens list growing again...
05-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
This is true and not true. With a larger sensor, more pixels maintain the same density. This makes sense and produces far superior images. Just look at what comes out of a LEAF.

However there is a reasonable limit for pixels in a given sensor size and many thought 6MP was it for point'n'shoot. I think we can well make use of more in APS-C. What about the ability to crop and maintain quality?

That said, I see no reason to want more MP than what we have right now. In fact, I would like the option in the quality settings to shoot using less, for those times when more storage and faster processing is more important.
05-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Quite excited about all the new sensor tech, I'd be surprised if it was ~24 MP though. Canon better get their fingers out or I could see my Pentax lens list growing again...
Yes, but Canon's answer will be a 26 megapixel sensor. I don't really care about megapixel's any more. It is increasing dynamic range/iso range that is making the difference in Sony's most recent sensors.
05-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yes, but Canon's answer will be a 26 megapixel sensor. I don't really care about megapixel's any more. It is increasing dynamic range/iso range that is making the difference in Sony's most recent sensors.
The rumours suggest that the 5D Mk3 is going to be in the 26 to 30 range, so I don't expect the APS-C offerings to be 26 MP and:

QuoteOriginally posted by Canonrumors:
APS-H & ISO
The 1.3 crop will be going away. All cameras going forward will be APS-C and full frame. The ISO performance of upcoming cameras from Canon will be industry leading. This is in part because of sensor technology advancements as well as DIGIC V.
So we shall see, looks promising based on hearsay rumours though .
05-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Two things:

1) I have no doubt that people from Pentax see what we post on these forums. Any feedback we can give Pentax is a good thing. It certainly won't guarantee what we eventually get but it helps. I am fully convinced the continued cries for a cheap, reasonably fast normal prime on these forums helped bring about the existence of the DA 35mm f/2.4.

2) Lighten up. This is a rumors page. Have fun with it.
05-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #105
Pentaxian

But this isn't a rumor - it's just a wishlist. Maybe we should have a section for that?