Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #91
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
I would prefer a lower base ISO which (someone more technical might need to correct me) would also benefit all higher ISOs in terms of smoothness and noise. Essentially, it shifts the baseline.

However, I would be happy with a built-in ND filter as in video cameras. Now that DSLRs also shoot video I wonder why it has not been implemented.

05-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #92
Senior Member
PentaxRev's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 133
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I am really to the point where I believe the best move Pentax could make is to develop a FF mirror-less body with splash proof body and lenses. A mirror-less professional grade body with a new line of FA Limited lenses would make a major splash.

Canon and Nikon can't do it because they have all of the legacy FF DSLR system to support. Pentax has no "pro" grade FF DSLR to protect.
I agree although I'm personally not interested in a full frame system. For me, at least at this point in time, I'm invested in and very satisfied with the 1.5 crop sensor. There is no doubt that a full frame system is better. The question for me is at what price? As a serious amateur photographer I'm where I want to be with the cropped sensor.

However, I do think it makes a great deal of business sense for Pentax to go after a game changing design that would make a serious dent in the Canikon world. This should, if done properly, simply strengthen the entire Pentax system and insure their long-term success on multiple fronts.
05-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,053
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
I agree although I'm personally not interested in a full frame system. For me, at least at this point in time, I'm invested in and very satisfied with the 1.5 crop sensor. There is no doubt that a full frame system is better. The question for me is at what price? As a serious amateur photographer I'm where I want to be with the cropped sensor.

However, I do think it makes a great deal of business sense for Pentax to go after a game changing design that would make a serious dent in the Canikon world. This should, if done properly, simply strengthen the entire Pentax system and insure their long-term success on multiple fronts.
I think wider glass will be the preference for a mirror-less design. It is easier to design wide glass for FF than for APS-C. If you made a wish list of the lenses you would want for a mirror-less (Samsun NX type camera) what would it be.
15mm f/4
20mm f/2.8
31mm f/2
43mm f/2
60mm Macro
77mm f/2

I don't see lenses larger than the 135mm being in demand for this type of system. Updating the designs of the current 31mm, 43mm, & 77mm and giving people the traditional FoV with these lenses would be a good selling point.

In terms of the glass for the system what would be best, and what format would work best with the glass?

I look at it as glass first. What lenses would I want in a mirror-less system and then ask what format is best for those focal lengths.
05-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #94
Veteran Member
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
However, I would be happy with a built-in ND filter as in video cameras. Now that DSLRs also shoot video I wonder why it has not been implemented.
Robin, i like your idea of a built-in ND filter. That would solve the problem of getting enough light to focus with. with the screw in ND filters, i guess some folks unscrew the filter long enough to focus the camera,, then install the filter- how cumbersome. Plus having to carry filters for each lens, etc.

05-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #95
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,829
This start to be a garbage subject. Everbody want to have everything . This is just a rumor nothing else
05-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #96
Veteran Member
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida Gulfer
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,056
The wife and I took a class from a Pro Photographer last weekend and he showed us a few of his shots using a 3mg and a 6mg camera's. He said anything larger than 6mg is a waste and a gimic. He had wall size prints in a large Hotel and it was shot with a 6mg canon. It it was beautiful I couldn't believe it was done with that camera.
So I would be happy with a pro 10mg camera no video.
05-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #97
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,641
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The wife and I took a class from a Pro Photographer last weekend and he showed us a few of his shots using a 3mg and a 6mg camera's. He said anything larger than 6mg is a waste and a gimic. He had wall size prints in a large Hotel and it was shot with a 6mg canon. It it was beautiful I couldn't believe it was done with that camera.
So I would be happy with a pro 10mg camera no video.
Yes its true, advertised resolution is often misconstrued in marketing or selling points. However, there are other advantages to higher Mega Pixel camera's beyond that of print size also. And so I guess it really comes down to ones needs.

BTW, if I didn't shoot lansdcape images, I'd be more than happy with a 10-12MP camera. However, since scenery can be very demanding in both print and micro-detail and so I often find myself looking for more resolution due to that.
05-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,053
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This start to be a garbage subject. Everbody want to have everything . This is just a rumor nothing else
It is posted in the RUMOR section for a reason.

If you don't think the discussion is worth participating in then..... don't participate.

05-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #99
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 834
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Plus having to carry filters for each lens, etc.
Thats whats so good about Cokin-style filters. Just a different, cheap adapter ring for each different size filter thread you have.
05-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #100
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
Quite excited about all the new sensor tech, I'd be surprised if it was ~24 MP though. Canon better get their fingers out or I could see my Pentax lens list growing again...
05-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #101
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The wife and I took a class from a Pro Photographer last weekend and he showed us a few of his shots using a 3mg and a 6mg camera's. He said anything larger than 6mg is a waste and a gimic. He had wall size prints in a large Hotel and it was shot with a 6mg canon. It it was beautiful I couldn't believe it was done with that camera.
This is true and not true. With a larger sensor, more pixels maintain the same density. This makes sense and produces far superior images. Just look at what comes out of a LEAF.

However there is a reasonable limit for pixels in a given sensor size and many thought 6MP was it for point'n'shoot. I think we can well make use of more in APS-C. What about the ability to crop and maintain quality?

That said, I see no reason to want more MP than what we have right now. In fact, I would like the option in the quality settings to shoot using less, for those times when more storage and faster processing is more important.
05-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,129
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Quite excited about all the new sensor tech, I'd be surprised if it was ~24 MP though. Canon better get their fingers out or I could see my Pentax lens list growing again...
Yes, but Canon's answer will be a 26 megapixel sensor. I don't really care about megapixel's any more. It is increasing dynamic range/iso range that is making the difference in Sony's most recent sensors.
05-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #103
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 581
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yes, but Canon's answer will be a 26 megapixel sensor. I don't really care about megapixel's any more. It is increasing dynamic range/iso range that is making the difference in Sony's most recent sensors.
The rumours suggest that the 5D Mk3 is going to be in the 26 to 30 range, so I don't expect the APS-C offerings to be 26 MP and:

QuoteOriginally posted by Canonrumors:
APS-H & ISO
The 1.3 crop will be going away. All cameras going forward will be APS-C and full frame. The ISO performance of upcoming cameras from Canon will be industry leading. This is in part because of sensor technology advancements as well as DIGIC V.
So we shall see, looks promising based on hearsay rumours though .
05-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,185
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
This start to be a garbage subject. Everbody want to have everything . This is just a rumor nothing else
Two things:

1) I have no doubt that people from Pentax see what we post on these forums. Any feedback we can give Pentax is a good thing. It certainly won't guarantee what we eventually get but it helps. I am fully convinced the continued cries for a cheap, reasonably fast normal prime on these forums helped bring about the existence of the DA 35mm f/2.4.

2) Lighten up. This is a rumors page. Have fun with it.
05-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #105
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,677
But this isn't a rumor - it's just a wishlist. Maybe we should have a section for that?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, k-5, k-7, k-7/k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, reason, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speculation: What if Pentax did not go FF but rather a 1.3x? brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 08-13-2013 10:36 PM
Any speculation on how long... Tom S. Pentax K-5 10 12-16-2010 09:19 PM
K-x price speculation SylBer Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-13-2010 12:29 PM
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
speculation about FA lenses on FF DSLR lpfonseca Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-05-2009 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top