Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #1036
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How to be better than D7100?

For starts take K mount lenses. Otherwise one could have started with Canon or Nkon lenses, switched to Canon , then Nikon and to Pentax and then back to Nikin knowng it is good possibliy swicthing right back to Nikon exect tha on Canon lens so now back to Canon and in all the rush forgot all the other formats and if you made money or keepin up the credit card and sells commission.
An trhen
with the 7X5 made all the create images, Drugs are starting to kick in, the ones that reduce the meaning of words but do little for world class head colds.Off fffor a nap before it becomes self imposed on a hard floo

02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #1037
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was that all about red rock?!?
The D7100 will challenge the K-5II in everything but high ISO capability, but Pentax too have been working at the K-3 and need to have other advances to the D7100 to make it more marketable whilst pricing it higher, like what happened with the D7000 and K-5 classic. With the likelihood that the same sensor will be used, there will have to be a more robust feature set to compare favourably to the D7100.
02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #1038
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Pentax doesn't make their own sensors, and historically have not been the first to market with any supplier's sensor.
I realize that they buy their sensor from 3rd party suppliers, but just as Olympus can buy m4/3 sensor from Sony so can Pentax buy FF sensor from Sony. Sony is making the wafers and those wafers can be cut up however you want. If Sony developed a 24MP APS-C then they also have the ability to produce a FF from the same wafer. The problem is probably related to the size of the RAW files for such a camera and having enough memory and fast enough processing to handle the files at a high frame rate.
02-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #1039
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I realize that they buy their sensor from 3rd party suppliers, but just as Olympus can buy m4/3 sensor from Sony so can Pentax buy FF sensor from Sony. Sony is making the wafers and those wafers can be cut up however you want. If Sony developed a 24MP APS-C then they also have the ability to produce a FF from the same wafer. The problem is probably related to the size of the RAW files for such a camera and having enough memory and fast enough processing to handle the files at a high frame rate.
And the flaws in the sensor, too.

I'm not saying it's not possible from a technical perspective.

From an outsider looking in, based on the history of supplier-sensors, though, Pentax doesn't introduce a new sensor first.

02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #1040
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The D7100 will challenge the K-5II in everything but high ISO capability, but Pentax too have been working at the K-3 and need to have other advances to the D7100 to make it more marketable whilst pricing it higher, like what happened with the D7000 and K-5 classic. With the likelihood that the same sensor will be used, there will have to be a more robust feature set to compare favourably to the D7100.
To me, the D7100 is not revolutionary, despite some people saying so.

The main things it has as hard advantages are the AF systems and the video.

To me, even the K-5II doesn't cut it with the upgraded AF because, as I've seen, they still have large AF points. Only when Pentax can make the AF points smaller will any improvements they make to the AF systems be worth it.

It's nice that they focus to lower eV levels, but the points are still huge.
02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #1041
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony is making the wafers and those wafers can be cut up however you want.
You got some more infomation about that?

Because all i can find is that they look like this.
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #1042
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You got some more infomation about that?

Because all i can find is that they look like this.
What you see in the image is a wafer that has already been masked and the photo lithography has been performed.... or it has been photoshoped. They can produce any size sensor form a wafer.

Look a little more on the internet on sensor yields and production and photo-lithography. Once you have a wafer it is just a matter of applying a different mask.
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #1043
Veteran Member

I've searched for 15 minutes and can not find anything to support your claim.
So if you've something then please link me to it.

02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #1044
Den
Veteran Member

These discussions make me chuckle. Long after we are all dead, the next generation and the next and the ... etc. etc. will find our present and near future cameras quite the dinosaurs. I can hear it now, "you mean they had to actually hold these big things in their hands and look through a lens, wow that must have been exhausting to say the least!" But then again, this is now and we want perfection right now and we want it affordable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Google seems to be on the future track with their "Google Glass"
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #1045
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Full frame is going to be bigger and heavier, more expensive and require new lenses. I'll pass.
I thought so too until someone told me to look at the Canon 6D specs. Pretty much the same size/weight as the K-5...1/2" in two dimensions. And Nikon has added quite a few 1.8 primes that aren't as small as the Ltds, but aren't as big as FF glass.

Still...if they don't use the D7100's sensor, I'd be really surprised...
02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #1046
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
These discussions make me chuckle. Long after we are all dead, the next generation and the next and the ... etc. etc. will find our present and near future cameras quite the dinosaurs. I can hear it now, "you mean they had to actually hold these big things in their hands and look through a lens, wow that must have been exhausting to say the least!" But then again, this is now and we want perfection right now and we want it affordable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quite right.. the routine bunch in the Rumors threads will be here.. still arguing over the NEXT batch of technology; When the K-3 is out and the FF cam is out.. they won't be out shooting with either. no, they will be on here arguing over the feasibility of the next wafer or size of the buttons on the back of the camera body and/or screaming they are going Canikony because the % of marketshare with Pentax is too low for them. It never ends.

If one has that deep a level of "appreciation" for the company.. why not work there and at least get paid for it?

I only recently (in the past several months) learned it is probably best to visit here rarely to see what is going on.. These threads start off interestingly only to end up as incredibly lengthy threads where little facts are passed around and a lot of personally defined (il)logic and bellyaching occurring...
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #1047

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
agreed, the manufactures would be very happy that we keep pursue the google class in the future ....
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #1048
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The point is that most of us do not switch systems or brands upon the release of every new model that is better than the offerings of another brand. Why would any amateur drop his K5II to get the D7100 UNLESS was already thinking of doing so. The K3 would have to significantly inferior and more expensive for many here on in the real marketplace to change to Nikon due to the D7100. As far as new buyers go the D7100 will outsell the K3 regardless of price, features or quality of images. It is so much easier for the big players to sell large numbers due to brand recognition and visibility. I am assuming that the K3 will be a good camera and when I decide that we need a new dslr I would purchase the best Pentax for our use. The Pentax may be better than the D7100 but Nikon would improve it and the next model better than Nikon's but maybe two models later Pentax takes the lead again etc, Cameras are so capable that a little better in one aspect or another should not matter to a good photographer unless those features are of paramount importance to his work.

My prediction is that in the next two years Nikon, Canon and Pentax will replace their top APS-C models and again each model will spell the end of the competition due to one feature or another being better than the other's and of course it will not happen,
02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #1049
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that the K3 will be pretty much on par with the D7100 (almost a given it will use the same sensor) though I'm guessing Pentax will remain a little behind on AF. The K3 will have better build quality though (I consider the K5 cameras to be a step above this D7100 in build/WR). Hopefully Pentax will do something innovative with the K3 to set it apart in some other areas. One clear advantage Pentax has without FF models is that they don't have to worry about siphoning sales from a higher end lineup. Time to take advantage of this.
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #1050
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
i have a new K5, and i feel that's enough for me till now~but the price of my 70200 will have a nice future~hh~