Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #1246
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,772
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
triggering protocols are proprietary
Yep, that is the issue, which protocol do you support? Or do you create your own? Or do you license the tech from several major vendors and create a unit that can transmit to several different ones? Yeah I know I'm reaching.

Being able to control studio strobes would be a real advantage. Even having just the transmitter built in would be great, I would be happy to buy the receiver or change brands if it was built in.

03-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1247
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,798
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yep, that is the issue, which protocol do you support?
Elinchrom EL.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Is WiFi fast enough for tethering in a practical application?
Some interesting news appeared on Luminous landscape will shed some light on the feasibility of using WiFi tethering. As well as some interesting news about the Phase one Achromatic becoming a staple in the phase one line up. though I must say I really enjoyed working with the Phase one achromatic+ MFDB.
03-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #1248
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
I'm not keen on putting WiFi in a grip. I'd rather it were integrated directly into the camera. If you're using it for wireless tethering for example you're more likely to have the camera on a tripod where a grip actually gets in the way a bit. Obvs this isn't a hard and fast rule. WiFi modules can be truly tiny and whilst the positioning of the antennae is important for a good signal - especially if you have a metal body - I'm not sure it necessarily has to add huge amounts of space.

If Pentax did integrate directly into the camera though I think there are a few things they should invest the time and money in:

1) integrate some kind of FTP protocol, email system, and/or dropbox.

2) develop an iOS and Android companion app that allows wireless control of the camera, would be great to also get streaming of the live view feed but this is more of a challenge.
03-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #1249
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,798
you bring up some good points there caat:

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I'm not keen on putting WiFi in a grip. I'd rather it were integrated directly into the camera. If you're using it for wireless tethering for example you're more likely to have the camera on a tripod where a grip actually gets in the way a bit. Obvs this isn't a hard and fast rule. WiFi modules can be truly tiny and whilst the positioning of the antennae is important for a good signal - especially if you have a metal body - I'm not sure it necessarily has to add huge amounts of space.
true, using a camera with a grip on a tripod never really sat well with me either, the WiFi option could be a plug in like what Nikon have or if the WiFi is built in they could position the antenna as a part of the pop up flash, that is where I would put it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If Pentax did integrate directly into the camera though I think there are a few things they should invest the time and money in: 1) integrate some kind of FTP protocol, email system, and/or dropbox. 2) develop an iOS and Android companion app that allows wireless control of the camera, would be great to also get streaming of the live view feed but this is more of a challenge.
Nikon have an FTP option with the wireless transmitter (UT-1,WT4 and the recently announced WT-5) and camera control through use of mobile platforms(WU-1a & b) also the D4 camera can be controlled through wired means through Ethernet. Nikon's own tethering software :CaptureNX2 is a pain and a complete resource hog (I prefer Capture 1) - All pentax has to do is add some extra hardware and a few protocols to the camera firmware to allow C1 or LR4 to control the camera wirelessly. It would take quite a bit of doing but I think pentax could pull it off - though I would think Pentax would develop remote control software for the android platform first (Android being a more adaptable and open OS)

03-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #1250
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 564
Hate to break up the usual tussel, er, fun

But I guess I'll hazard to put up some info from the rather reliable source at dpr:

and talk about the K3

One week ago -

"Next Pentax=24MP Sony APS-C"

"Than take a little bit time,maybe 8 weeks and see.
Lower AF Pointcount,but other things,that 7100 donīt have.
Same like D7000&K-5 history "

Gorsh, he ain't givin' much away at all here. No big surprises, or are there?

Now, freewheeling speculation from here in general

As to what we'll see in one little area: Last time, between k5 and d7000 the k5 originally was quite a bit more expensive. Pentax knows the price of d7100 ahead of time this round, what will they do? match price or stay expensive at start and come way down after a year or so again? Since the new model will have "other things that d7100 don't have" I'll guess they'll stay with higher price at announcement and weather the usual complaints. I imagine they'll stay with the formula from before. Or will they?

"Lower AF Point count", to be expected, but he didn't say that Pentax has or has not raised or changed the AF points in some way or other, did he? So there is room for improvement. Whether they'll do so, maybe they'll do other things instead - who knows?

this alone is barely enough to garner another 1200 pages of the usual pf mush
But I doubt anyone will notice anyway


I'm always interested in seeing if Pentax will make another slow as they go iteration change, or if the Hoya era ends here or another model away yet? or everything stays pretty much status quo for some time?

Fun and games wondering.
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #1251
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albany, NY, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
But I guess I'll hazard to put up some info from the rather reliable source at dpr:

and talk about the K3

One week ago -

"Next Pentax=24MP Sony APS-C"

"Than take a little bit time,maybe 8 weeks and see.
Lower AF Pointcount,but other things,that 7100 donīt have.
Same like D7000&K-5 history "

Gorsh, he ain't givin' much away at all here. No big surprises, or are there?
Is this a real leak?



QuoteQuote:
As to what we'll see in one little area: Last time, between k5 and d7000 the k5 originally was quite a bit more expensive. Pentax knows the price of d7100 ahead of time this round, what will they do? match price or stay expensive at start and come way down after a year or so again? Since the new model will have "other things that d7100 don't have" I'll guess they'll stay with higher price at announcement and weather the usual complaints. I imagine they'll stay with the formula from before. Or will they?

This is the biggest issue for me, will they be competitive to the 7100/70d or will they try to aim higher with higher cost. I honestly dont mind paying more for more but man they really need to beat the 7100 if they will charge much more. I can handle a $1200 price tag but the 7100 looks very very good. (I actually agree with the uproar on the buffer issue though, thats lame!).
03-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #1252
Banned




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,541
QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
Is this a real leak?
No. Not a leak.
That is Asahi Man from DPReview Pentax forum talking about something he's overheard somewhere.
Any source of such rumours, including Japanese magazines, is hard to be trusted at all, for since Ricoh's acquisition, Pentax has completely zipped up their mouth. Say, people were is dismay when the MX-1 was announced in January — no one predicted it or had a clue about it.
03-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #1253
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,798
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That is Asahi Man from DPReview Pentax forum talking about something he's overheard somewhere.
Thinking any user from dpreview has insider information on a manufacturers upcoming products is ludicrous...a majority of the users are nothing more than armchair experts with delusions of grandeur.

03-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #1254
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 564
asahi man hasn't faltered in past, he didn't give away the show either. But he has been correct.
03-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #1255
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So how about a wireless trigger in the grip? Maybe we are filling the space up lol.

WiFi, GPS, wireless flash trigger, second (or third) SD slot, additional battery.
Oh, stick as much batteries in there as you can - forego SD slots (large SD cards exist). GPS - bah, no, consumes power when in-door....quite happy with O-GPS1 and the like.

Batteries are the holy grail of tomorrow: tablets, smartphones, cameras all share that as Achilles heel...
03-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #1256
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I'm not keen on putting WiFi in a grip. I'd rather it were integrated directly into the camera. If you're using it for wireless tethering for example you're more likely to have the camera on a tripod where a grip actually gets in the way a bit. Obvs this isn't a hard and fast rule. WiFi modules can be truly tiny and whilst the positioning of the antennae is important for a good signal - especially if you have a metal body - I'm not sure it necessarily has to add huge amounts of space.

If Pentax did integrate directly into the camera though I think there are a few things they should invest the time and money in:

1) integrate some kind of FTP protocol, email system, and/or dropbox.
Oh my dear, no, not dropbox: too many proprietary protocols already, too many proprietary "cloud providers" wanting to snoop and mine our private data.

FTP and WebDAV upload, yeah sure, but anything more proprietary than that and it's a rathole of planned obsolescence and intrusion of privacy.
03-09-2013, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #1257
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
So, venturing out on what I would want that my K-01 doesn't have: a rear thumb wheel. Also, move the green button to be thumb-activated, and stick in the same EyeFi support that Samsung provides for some of their cameras. That's it, that's what I'd like to see from a K-03.

I'll be the heretic on the forum and say, that a K-3 as a successor to the K5siialpha47 (or whatever obscure version it is this week), be it "faster" or "more Mpix" or "full frame" etc., wouldn't differentiate Pentax from the other guys out there...well, other than that it'd take K-mount, and so I'm not sure that it'd be a direction where Pentax could "win"....

I'm all in favor of advancing on a Q2 and a K-02, as those are the platforms where Pentax is really unique.

Let the flamewar begin, I've donned an asbestos suit ...
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1258
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 564
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Let the flamewar begin, I've donned an asbestos suit ...
There's money in this - surprising that PF and other forums never sell marshmallows.
03-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #1259
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,798
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
surprising that PF and other forums never sell marshmallows.

marshmallows in the shape of a DA15mm f/4 and DA35mm f/2.8 macro?...anyone?
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #1260
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,455
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
So, venturing out on what I would want that my K-01 doesn't have: a rear thumb wheel. Also, move the green button to be thumb-activated, and stick in the same EyeFi support that Samsung provides for some of their cameras. That's it, that's what I'd like to see from a K-03.

I'll be the heretic on the forum and say, that a K-3 as a successor to the K5siialpha47 (or whatever obscure version it is this week), be it "faster" or "more Mpix" or "full frame" etc., wouldn't differentiate Pentax from the other guys out there...well, other than that it'd take K-mount, and so I'm not sure that it'd be a direction where Pentax could "win"....

I'm all in favor of advancing on a Q2 and a K-02, as those are the platforms where Pentax is really unique.

Let the flamewar begin, I've donned an asbestos suit ...
Actually I vote with you - but Pentax should continue expanding their position in the traditional market(s) as well. Spread technologies across as many bodies as possible to reduce unit costs.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, k-5, k-7, k-7/k-5, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, reason, sensor, sony
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speculation: What if Pentax did not go FF but rather a 1.3x? brecklundin Pentax DSLR Discussion 36 08-13-2013 10:36 PM
Any speculation on how long... Tom S. Pentax K-5 10 12-16-2010 09:19 PM
K-x price speculation SylBer Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-13-2010 12:29 PM
Small rant + speculation ilya80 Pentax News and Rumors 35 04-20-2010 11:42 PM
speculation about FA lenses on FF DSLR lpfonseca Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-05-2009 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top