Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #1261
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
marshmallows in the shape of a DA15mm f/4 and DA35mm f/2.8 macro?...anyone?
you dont like em?

03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #1262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far a rumor from the Cebu Pentax factory says that the K-3 is now in the works. They're also constructing a service center in the factory (I hope this is going on worldwide- meaning more support centers being put up) and its tentative opening date will be in a month or two.

Source said that it's so far confirmed but as I have not seen it personally, I'll still call it a rumor.

Also, no nothing on FF.
03-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #1263
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
So far a rumor from the Cebu Pentax factory says that the K-3 is now in the works. They're also constructing a service center in the factory (I hope this is going on worldwide- meaning more support centers being put up) and its tentative opening date will be in a month or two.

Source said that it's so far confirmed but as I have not seen it personally, I'll still call it a rumor.

Also, no nothing on FF.
I think we could have safely assumed that production for the K-3 would have probably started if not by now then relatively soon if Pentax are announcing this month.
03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #1264

Or next month after that - it's well known that April is THE month when new technologies are presented to public. I couldn't grasp why that happens.

03-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #1265
Veteran Member

They're also constructing a service center in the factory (I hope this is going on worldwide- meaning more support centers being put up) and its tentative opening date will be in a month or two.
Now this is more significant! A service center! Because this was the one thing where Pentax was really lagging behind. In terms of IQ and capabilities, the K-5 had no match in APS-C (and can compete with FF), but it was overall service that prevented some "pros" from getting Pentax. Nikon just has much more service, in terms of repair stores and even renting out equipment. I would be glad to see Pentax improve in this area.
03-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #1266
Banned

Although it is still a rumour, I'm glad to see that Pentax Ricoh is in no hurry about their commitments. I mean, why struggle to start K-3 production in 2 months? A more relaxed 6-9 months would allow them more time to choose better interior colour schemes for the service departments.
03-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #1267
Pentaxian

You are absolutely right! After all, choosing interior colour schemes for a service department is the only thing you have to do in order to have it up and running! (and obviously, that's the R&D's job).
By the way, what do you think about K-5's launch?

03-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #1268

I'm waiting for Pentax full frame. Thank you.
03-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #1269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by art sivadol Quote
Me, too ... quite happy with the K-5 for the moment ... J
03-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #1270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by art sivadol Quote
Count me in.

However it seems that Pentax won't get my money any time soon, it will go to Nikon
03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #1271

I simply want K3 to appear in order to buy K5-2 at a better bargain. If it's FF, then i'll pass. If it's the holy of hollies in APS-C terms, then i'll steal the necessary money to buy it / or donate a kidney - depends which is more lucrative.
03-20-2013, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #1272
Pentaxian

I just ordered a SIgma 8-16, so I see no need for full frame. As landscape guy, that was the missing piece of the puzzle. I also shoot with an A-400. DOing everything possible to avoid FF is a no brainer.

From what I've seen in terms of MTF analysis, the difference in resolution between 24 MP APS-c and 24 MP FF is negligible, to the point where I don't think it would be worth anyone's while to go for a D600 as opposed to an APS-c 24 MP camera. Especially since with cameras of the same pixel count, you need a 600 mm FF lens to cover the same FoV as a much cheaper 400mm lens on APS-c.

So unless you guys are talking about going to a D800, you're not making sense. The only Pentax FF I'd consider would be 36 MP or up, preferably 40-45 MP. Below 30 MP, you're not getting enough increase in resolution to justify FF lenses in my mind. But really, I've not done one test that has convinced me I need the resolution that I get in a 16 MP image. 24 is just more overkill. I know D700 owners that are content with 12 MP.
03-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #1273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18 MP covers a double magazine page at 300 dpi, I don't see any real need to go to higher resolution unless it's to crop. But still, the same could be said for a 25 ISO 135 Kodachrome, and yet a 4x5" transparency was so much better at the same enlargment. So I guess it'0s not the resolution, but the quality of the lenses. And that's why I still believe Pentax choice of going medium format is much better.
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1274

Photos: Gallery
Still think a 20-24MP APS-H sensor with the same pixel density and low/high ISO performance of the k-5 sensor we all enjoy, plus the associated smaller size and cost savings relative to FF, plus the intermediate crop factor of 1.3 allowing continued use of DA limited and DA* lenses but with improved DOF and DNR relative to APS-C of same pixel density plus pro level buffer, max frame rate, bracketing, etc. would be an ideal 'new' solution for the 'game changing' camera we all hope the K-3 will be.
03-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1275
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
Still think a 20-24MP APS-H sensor with the same pixel density and low/high ISO performance of the k-5 sensor we all enjoy, plus the associated smaller size and cost savings relative to FF, plus the intermediate crop factor of 1.3 allowing continued use of DA limited and DA* lenses but with improved DOF and DNR relative to APS-C of same pixel density plus pro level buffer, max frame rate, bracketing, etc. would be an ideal 'new' solution for the 'game changing' camera we all hope the K-3 will be.
Going with APS-H over full-frame is only a valid excuse if the camera will offer exceptional speed, and considering the fact that Pentax APS-C cameras are still rather slow (performance wise), it's hard to expect better results from a camera that has a larger sensor in it. Thus I'd say that their best bet would be to just suck it up and go full-frame, with an emphasis on image quality. At least then, their DSLRs will get a bit more media attention!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: