Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
The rumours suggest that the 5D Mk3 is going to be in the 26 to 30 range, so I don't expect the APS-C offerings to be 26 MP and:

So we shall see, looks promising based on hearsay rumours though .
The 7DII is expected to be over 20MP.

Both Sony and Canon FF are expected to be over 30MP.

Sony has made no secret that it is going after Canon. Don't expect Sony to let Canon take the lead in resolution.

05-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
non-crippled KA-F mount for aperture coupling
I can't believe we're on page 8 and this has only been mentioned twice. If Pentax put out a camera that was a step back in every way compared to the K-5 except it had this I would still buy it. (Well, depending on how much of a step back it was, obviously.)

Back in the film days it was just the cheap bodies that had this problem, but there is no DSLR at any price that will do open aperture metering with old K mount glass. And for no technical reason, they just hate me. (Yes, me, personally. I'm convinced of it.)
05-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I can't believe we're on page 8 and this has only been mentioned twice. If Pentax put out a camera that was a step back in every way compared to the K-5 except it had this I would still buy it. (Well, depending on how much of a step back it was, obviously.)

Back in the film days it was just the cheap bodies that had this problem, but there is no DSLR at any price that will do open aperture metering with old K mount glass. And for no technical reason, they just hate me. (Yes, me, personally. I'm convinced of it.)
I agree. This would be a selling point for me too. Make it happen Pentax!
05-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #109

Processor power is not a problem nowadays. With the rise of handheld computers (tablets and smartphones) there are plenty of options for low-power multicore processors that can cover just about anything.

I would also like a bigger (touch) screen with higher resolution and gorilla glass. Turning the menu touch-screen driven, will free-up buttons for real-time use. Touch-selecting focus in LiveView is an amazing feature.

The battery grip should be incorporated and include more functions than an extra battery and buttons (lots of room for almost anything). This way it still remains a compact camera with even better handling.

Personally, I don't like built-in filters. I would love it if Pentax somehow found a way to make the AA filter removable too.

I am quite happy with all my Pentax cameras as photography tools (I skipped the K7). There is of course room for improvement, but it is my opinion that Pentax is lacking heavily in videography and should really try to improve in this field more heavily, as competition is really far far ahead...

Overall, I find the excitement of expecting a new model very amusing, but the rumour build-up and the eventual high expectations, usually lead to dissapointment when the actual model is finally released. I could not resist the temptation of posting, however, I will try to avoid reading this thread again, unless there is concrete evidence of a new camera and it's specs...

05-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Processing Power isn't a problem by itself but combined with Power usage it is one, very much.
These markets often use DSP rather than CPU for power reasons. But once the DSP is set, you can't change much if at all of its processing options. What is in firmware can be changed easily. In the DSP, a lot harder.
05-22-2011, 03:57 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
(...)

I would love it if Pentax somehow found a way to make the AA filter removable too.

(...)
There seems to be a patent from Nikon on this: an anti-aliasing filter that can be turned on or off.

The principle seems to be analogue to the one of a polarising filter.

See Nikon patent for on/off optical low-pass filter (OLPF) | Nikon Rumors for more details
05-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I can't believe we're on page 8 and this has only been mentioned twice. If Pentax put out a camera that was a step back in every way compared to the K-5 except it had this I would still buy it.
That's because the pursuit of ever bigger numbers tantalises more people than changes that make actual photography more affordable, reliable or accurate. It used to be megapixels and now it is high ISO. They have the glamour but aperture couplings and the like do not.

Another example... Most people clamour for increasing the max shutter speed for flash coupling from 1/180 to 1/250, despite the facts that: a) this is a fractional improvement, b) HSS gives you any shutter speed you want. Instead of this "improvement" consider that more accurate and reliable P-TTL would make every shot less of a gamble. Rugged housings would increase the life of the flash units. Weather-sealing would match the capabilities of the rest of the system line, etc.

A minority of people do indeed ask for those things, but otherwise each and every post complains about the difference between 180 and 250 (half a stop or so). It's quantifiable.

05-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the original rumor on the K5 replacement: Call it K3 or whatever:
If history is any indication, the K5 will be replaced with an evolutionary model, not revolutionary. In my mind that is an ergonomic APS-C, weather sealed with some minor and some not so minor improvements on what we have now. Full frame is not going to happen for now. Full frame needs far more than just a body: Solid lens roadmap, good flashes and accesories, pro service and support etc. and those need to be developed in parallel or before a FF body design.
The K5 is doing well and receiving good praises around the globe. That can give Pentax a bit more time to release its replacement while redirecting resources to other things like mirrorless, Full Frame, Med Format etc.
Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary

Thanks,
05-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #114
JHD
Veteran Member

I think technology in sensor development is moving forward very fast...

Therefore the camera that replaces the K-5 will be as revolutionary as the K-5 was to the K-7.
05-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #115
Inactive Account

I'll be happy if the AF is up to snuff... I'm easy to please Pentax... you can do it... you can do it..
05-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I think technology in sensor development is moving forward very fast...

Therefore the camera that replaces the K-5 will be as revolutionary as the K-5 was to the K-7.
Which was evolutionary.
05-22-2011, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
They have the glamour but aperture couplings and the like do not.
I don't think that's the reason.

I'm convinced we'll never see an uncrippling of the mount because Pentax wants to sell new lenses rather than make users happy with their old lenses.

Sure, they could built a DSLR with an aperture coupler but they'd have to use actual hardware to make it happen. This stuff is expensive. The $10,000 645D has an aperture coupler but I'm convinced we'll never see it in a prosumer DSLR. Too expensive to offer, too little income because of too small an audience, loss of incentive to buy newer lenses with more convenience.

If Pentax had wanted to provide better support for shooting with old glass, they could have easily done so already through some firmware features that would have cost next to nothing to implement.

I agree that an aperture coupler would be nice to have, but I honestly don't see it happen.

Last edited by Class A; 05-22-2011 at 01:37 PM.
05-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Back to the original rumor on the K5 replacement: Call it K3 or whatever:
If history is any indication, the K5 will be replaced with an evolutionary model, not revolutionary. In my mind that is an ergonomic APS-C, weather sealed with some minor and some not so minor improvements on what we have now.
Thanks,
Given that Pentax is using resources to develop the mirrorr-less and to continue to develop the 645D system, I don't see them being able to make a huge investment into the K-5 replacement.

A new 24MP sensor and improved AF dropped in the K-5 body and called the K-5 Super would give Pentax 2 more years with little or not R&D cost.

I worry that Pentax will invest resources into mirror-less and not have the resources to continue to develop the APS-C line-up..... Just look at Olympus and the 4/3 system while M4/3 was under development.
05-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Afaik THE 645d has an aperture coupler
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Given that Pentax is using resources to develop the mirrorr-less and to continue to develop the 645D system, I don't see them being able to make a huge investment into the K-5 replacement.

A new 24MP sensor and improved AF dropped in the K-5 body and called the K-5 Super would give Pentax 2 more years with little or not R&D cost.

I worry that Pentax will invest resources into mirror-less and not have the resources to continue to develop the APS-C line-up..... Just look at Olympus and the 4/3 system while M4/3 was under development.
This is a valid concern but Olympus does not have a company like Hoya behind it. That said, I suspect the K-5 replacement will be very evolutionary... as in an upgraded sensor, some improvements to auto focus and that's about it. And don't forget, Pentax is supposed to be bringing out an APS-C mirror less camera. A lot of development that goes into that might be applicable to the K series of DSLRs. And unlike some other companies, Pentax will likely be able to tap into its existing line of compact DA Limited primes for use on it's mirror less camera... a big advantage.