Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This is a valid concern but Olympus does not have a company like Hoya behind it. That said, I suspect the K-5 replacement will be very evolutionary... as in an upgraded sensor, some improvements to auto focus and that's about it. And don't forget, Pentax is supposed to be bringing out an APS-C mirror less camera. A lot of development that goes into that might be applicable to the K series of DSLRs. And unlike some other companies, Pentax will likely be able to tap into its existing line of compact DA Limited primes for use on it's mirror less camera... a big advantage.
You will have to use an adapter to use DA Primes on a new mirror-less. Pentax will need to develop a new line of glass to really take advantage of a mirroer-less APS-C system.

Hoya is a good company, but they are not just going to throw money at Pentax. Pentax is just now becoming a profitable asset for Hoya. Pentax has a budget that they have to operate within and a fixed pool of resources (R&D people & lens designers). If those people are working on a mirror-less system and new glass for the 645D then they aren't working on the K-mount system. Does Pentax have enough people to develop new systems and still advance the APS-C DSLR system?

05-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #122
Banned

Photos: Gallery
What would you think of having incamera memory to store pictures files coming out of the camera DNG/jpg engine? Having like 128 GB would make it very versatile as a working-horse camera.
05-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
What would you think of having incamera memory to store pictures files coming out of the camera DNG/jpg engine? Having like 128 GB would make it very versatile as a working-horse camera.
That might drive the cost up? And with the possibility of data corruption, it's nice to have the option of removable media .
05-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
That might drive the cost up? And with the possibility of data corruption, it's nice to have the option of removable media .
Right, but flash media (as SSD hard drive) have built-in spare cells (loads of them) for that purpose. It doesn't mean it won't fail of course, but as easily as one might think.

05-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Afaik THE 645d has an aperture coupler
I think you are right. I only found misleading information before but now dug up a user report that refers to an aperture coupler. Thanks for the hint.
05-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree that an aperture coupler would be nice to have, but I honestly don't see it happen.
I agree since it would cost more, but not on the grounds that old lenses would eat into the profits of new ones. The two classes of lenses appeal to totally different types of photographers. Most will not forsake auto-focus.
05-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #127
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Don't worry there are a lot of armchair scientists, physicists, opticians, sensor and lens designers here with degrees in bullshit
That's called bovine scatology.

BS

05-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #128
Veteran Member

No battery grip incoporated, that will make the camera too big for me . I dont want a big camera, I dont need status
05-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I agree since it would cost more, but not on the grounds that old lenses would eat into the profits of new ones. The two classes of lenses appeal to totally different types of photographers. Most will not forsake auto-focus.
Agree. And as for the old ones, Nikon D7000 anyone?
I don't know that Pentax can fail to notice that a mid-range Nikon camera now supports legacy lenses quite well thank you.

While Pentax is at it, perhaps they could reintroduce TTL support?

If we are wishing, please add some sort of advance to:
Timelapse - >99 images (999 would be a good start). Since the camera does motion jpg movies, how about a facility to stitch them together in-camera?

Shutter speed length. My E-pl1 does out to 60 seconds - how about programmable length >30 seconds, with adjustable delay?

Flash sync. Been 1/180 since the *IstD. That was when?

How about a "silent" shutter mode, where the shutter does not recock, for critical moments.

Distance/Hyperfocal calc as previously mentioned - compact cameras do distance feedback display easily when focusing.

Movies -- how hard is it to electronically allow aperture changes/shutter speed locks?

Tone curve adjustment screen (set up curves on camera, or in computer and transfer to camera), rather than picture style.

I'm sure I can think of more, but it is time for bed. Cheers.
05-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I just want the K-3 to be a D700 body & sensor, with SR, and with a K mount. How hard can that be?
05-22-2011, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #131
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Which was evolutionary.

IMHO, it was revolutionary.

The K-7 has features my K20D does not, except one .... image quality when used as a camera.

It has better video, by far, a nicer body, and a better feature set.

The K-5 on the other hand has the same body as the K-7, but the sensor blows the doors off everything out there, and blows the door off the K-7 by light years.

The K-5 is everything the K-7 should have been ..... the only trouble was the sensor used in the K-5 was not invented at that time.

wll
05-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I just want the K-3 to be a D700 body & sensor, with SR, and with a K mount. How hard can that be?
Sine the D700 can only go to ISO 200 and the K-5 goes to ISO 80, the K-5 actually is capable of better images at "base" ISO. Even when you crank the ISO up to 200 on the K-5 the D700 is a little more than 1 stop better. I really do expect that the sensor used in the K-5 replacement will be better than the now ancient (by technology standards) D700. Of course the D800 will be an amazing machine. I don't think I would want a D700 body and sensor. I would however want Nikon's AF.

K-5 body
Olympus IS
Olympus JPEG engine
Nikon AF
Sony sensor
A900 VF
Canon lens mount
05-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sine the D700 can only go to ISO 200 and the K-5 goes to ISO 80, the K-5 actually is capable of better images at "base" ISO. Even when you crank the ISO up to 200 on the K-5 the D700 is a little more than 1 stop better. I really do expect that the sensor used in the K-5 replacement will be better than the now ancient (by technology standards) D700. Of course the D800 will be an amazing machine. I don't think I would want a D700 body and sensor. I would however want Nikon's AF.

K-5 body
Olympus IS
Olympus JPEG engine
Nikon AF
Sony sensor
A900 VF
Canon lens mount
05-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Yeah. I have way more L glass than anything else.
05-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #135
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Two minor points:
k5 has a 999 shots limits for interval shoot. This is with latest firmware.
IstD had a 1/160 sync, newer camera havé 1/180 sync (I know, not much of a difference).