Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
There are good reasons for the lens to be slow; Jun Hirakawa (the designer) wanted a good MF feel and slow gearing for precise focusing. After all this lens was not meant to replace the FA 50/1.4 (which is FAST!) but it's rather the spiritual successor of the FA* 85/1.4. So, the DA* 55 is meant as a portrait lens and should be treated as such.

that´s what he told

05-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Since it is an AF lens goal should have been to produce a lens that was fast and accurate. Canon, Nikon, & Sigma all produce very fast/accurate lenses in this focal length. Portrait lens or not it is still a 55mm lens.
The new Nikkor 1,4 50 is slow like the Pentax 55,but feels more like plastic
05-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #183
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
There are good reasons for the lens to be slow; Jun Hirakawa (the designer) wanted a good MF feel and slow gearing for precise focusing. After all this lens was not meant to replace the FA 50/1.4 (which is FAST!) but it's rather the spiritual successor of the FA* 85/1.4. So, the DA* 55 is meant as a portrait lens and should be treated as such.

Given it is weather sealed, it must have been meant as a portrait lens for the shower.
05-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #184
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Given it is weather sealed, it must have been meant as a portrait lens for the shower.
What other lens would suit the sultry lady-having-a-shower nude shoot?

05-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

P.S.: I believe some of the lenses Jun Hirakawa designed are fantastic. The DA* 55/1.4, however, did not turn out to be a masterpiece, AFAIC. It is very sharp, but I don't think the bokeh/rendering comes close to any of the legendary Pentax lenses. In no way I think it can claim to be a legitimate successor to the FA* 85/1.4.
05-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung has a new 18MP sensor.... Maybe that will be at the heart of the K-5 replacement.
As much as I love my K-7, please no. Sony's EXMOR sensors are so much better it's not even funny.

And 4K support leaves me completely cold. I don't do video much if at all. Low noise and wide DR are much, much more important to me.
05-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
That is short!

The NX series is quite good and worth bearing in mind. I wonder if Pentax could stake out a space making something with a bit more W90 DNA in there.
Samsung NX series is all first generation so expect rapid improvements until the system matures. The 14MP sensor used in the K-7/NX10/NX11 is said to be out of production (the last run was used in the NX11). Samsung has already starting production on the 18MP so it will find its way into something pretty soon.

I would love to see a weather sealed Pentax version of the NX10.

05-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The DA* 55/1.4, however, did not turn out to be a masterpiece
i think its okay

05-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #189
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
1. Better AF
2. Better AF
3. Better AF
4. Better AF
5. Better AF

I've used Nikon D90 for one day. Every picture was in focus, tack sharp exactly there where I was focusing. I wish I could say the same about K-5....
That's pretty sad considering how old the D90 is. And that is why I'm passing on the K-5; I refuse to buy another camera handicapped with poor AF.

In fact I bet there are more than a few people who, given the option would prefer a K-7 with AF tantamount to the D90 over the K-5 as it is.

No doubt this is one of the reasons why most professionals pass on Pentax.
05-25-2011, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote

In fact I bet there are more than a few people who, given the option would prefer a K-7 with AF tantamount to the D90 over the K-5 as it is.
Frankly, I'd have to think a time before chosing between those two.
05-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it's always the same old story : people who don't own a K-5, say it has a poor AF.
Don't listen Pentax, they don't want to buy a new camera, they are only whining...
05-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #192
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 is far from handicapped in AF performance.
Under some low lighting conditions, it may need a refocus, but it hits the mark perfectly for me.
You must try it first, and under different conditions, before claiming it has poor AF.
05-25-2011, 03:12 AM   #193
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
it's always the same old story : people who don't own a K-5, say it has a poor AF.
Don't listen Pentax, they don't want to buy a new camera, they are only whining...
Obviously you're content with the AF of the K-5 because you have no idea how much better Nikon is. Try shooting some fast action with D90 and then try to get the same type of shots with your K-5.
05-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I have experience with three K-5s — I own two K-5's (I need a backup camera), one of them wass exchange for another K-5 with stained sensor.

All of them did not focus correctly without large AF adjustments with all my lenses (FA limiteds and DA* zooms), all three bodies were not really usable without AF adjustments. And even with adjusted focus AF isn't consistent. Majority of pictures are OK, however misfocus (most often backfocus) happens much more often than I would want.

Maybe if you're landscape shooter, shooting with wide angle lenses stopped down to f/8, AF inacurracy isn't noticeable, however I usually shoot between f/2.4 and f/3.5 at longer focal lengths and front/back focus is very noticeable.

Pentax nailed Live View AF, it's quick and very accurate. Unfortunately phase detection AF is all over the place

Last edited by Edvinas; 05-25-2011 at 04:52 AM.
05-25-2011, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The K-5 is far from handicapped in AF performance.
Under some low lighting conditions, it may need a refocus, but it hits the mark perfectly for me.
You must try it first, and under different conditions, before claiming it has poor AF.
Put camera on tripod. Take some fast non wide angle lens (max aperture f/1.4 or f/1.8) and shoot some brick wall or newspaper from a few meters distance. For accurate focus reference make first shot in live view (live view AF is accurate). Then take, let's say, ten shots with phase detection AF. Defocus the lens manually before each shot. Then check those pictures against your reference picture. You'll see what I am talking about...