Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
If you accept crappy AF because "We'll, it's usually good enough" then Pentax has no real incentive to make things better, do they?
It's not "crappy" AF. It's simply not perfect AF. Your exaggerations and constant repetition also do nothing to convince Pentax to improve. If I was them I'd be throwing up my hands and shrugging.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Want adequate photos for 99% of all applications? The cheapest Sony Cybershot is perfectly fine.

Who defines what "99% of all applications" are?
Apparently you do, in the statement directly prior to that query. Since it is impossible to argue with someone who only listens to themselves, I leave you to your complaints about the horrible world of Pentax cameras. May it bring you much joy.

In the meantime I'll process the next batch of horribly out of focus pictures people mistakenly pay me to shoot with this horrid Pentax gear.

And I'm only using a K20D. Shock! Horror!

05-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #227
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
24 MP at APS-C is good. Higher MP = higher resolution of system "camera + lens".
It's easy to reject from AA filter at sensor with high density of MP and to get outstanding result with good lenses.
I've converted RAW from 60D (18 MP) + Canon 50/2.5 macro and I can say that 18 MP rules...
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/34108akhzIIbYng/jUamMNSPpK/643821.jpg
19 MB!
05-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Apparently you do, in the statement directly prior to that query.
Clearly, I made a reductio ad absurdum argument.
You taking it literally now, is ... absurd.

Since it is impossible to argue with someone who only listens to themselves,...
05-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
... And apparently it escaped you that people had/(have?!) problems in studio light? Can they use MF? Of course they can. Should they be forced to with a >$1000 DSLR? Not in my book. ...
All AF systems have trouble in studio lighting, regardless of the manufacturer, or the price of the camera.

05-26-2011, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #230
Banned

Is there anything else to want/need for a K-5 successor or is it just AF?

Coult there be a more advanced flash in the body? All brands at the time make the same kind of onboard flash. Coult it be possible to have it stronger, like flashpower 20 (instead of 13 it is now) and make it adjustable in power output in steps (p-TTL, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64) and give it some kind of swiffle head.

Wouldn't that be a great future?
05-26-2011, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is there anything else to want/need for a K-5 successor or is it just AF?

Coult there be a more advanced flash in the body? All brands at the time make the same kind of onboard flash. Coult it be possible to have it stronger, like flashpower 20 (instead of 13 it is now) and make it adjustable in power output in steps (p-TTL, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64) and give it some kind of swiffle head.

Wouldn't that be a great future?
that would be fantastic IMHO (manual control of flash output with old lenses would be really useful)
05-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #232
Veteran Member

Even if AF performance is not a top priority for you, please give me one good reason why we should merely accept that Pentax has a vastly inferior system? Why should we not want better? What is the harm in not accepting mediocrity? If you're paying $13-1400 for a camera, why should it not be the best it can be in every way?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. No one needs to accept anything. As a consumer with ~$1400, why did *you* accept "mediocrity" when purchasing the K5; why did *you* not demand better? Weren't you able to discern right away, within the return window, that the AF system didn't meet your expectations? Yet you still voted with your $$ for Pentax even though a camera with class-leading AF like the 300s has been on the market for >1 year. It's not as if right after you bought the K5 all these amazing cameras appeared on the market.

Sounds to me like you're not making the right decisions for yourself.

05-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
I'm not sure what you're getting at. No one needs to accept anything. As a consumer with ~$1400, why did *you* accept "mediocrity" when purchasing the K5; why did *you* not demand better? Weren't you able to discern right away, within the return window, that the AF system didn't meet your expectations? Yet you still voted with your $$ for Pentax even though a camera with class-leading AF like the 300s has been on the market for >1 year. It's not as if right after you bought the K5 all these amazing cameras appeared on the market.

Maybe its just me but I haven't experiences a single subject any AF SLR couldn't cope with the last 15 years. My K-7 use 1s to focus in a dark room lit with one candle, but like most people I have never shot an image in these conditions...
I have yet to see a single image posted on this or other forums that couldn't have been shot with the help of any of the AF systems currently available...
05-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #234
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Maybe its just me but I haven't experiences a single subject any AF SLR couldn't cope with the last 15 years. My K-7 use 1s to focus in a dark room lit with one candle, but like most people I have never shot an image in these conditions...
I have yet to see a single image posted on this or other forums that couldn't have been shot with the help of any of the AF systems currently available...
If Pentax wants to charge more than the competition for their product it needs to outperform the competition. The AF is not bad, but it is not as good as the competition.

This next spring the D400 and 7DII will be rolling out. Pentax has done a wonderful job with the K-5 and have set the bar high in terms of IQ for APS-C. Canon/Nikon/Sony all know where they need to be to beat the K-5, and they will all introduce product to do just that.

24MP D400
24MP A77
2?MP 7DII

Pentax had better be working on something.
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They could also add the in-camera stitching that Hassy just introduced w/ their 200MP MF camera. Seems like a logical thing for them to add...would be good enough for doing landscapes at high resolution and assuming Sony's new 24MP sensorr still handles recovery of shadow areas as well as the K-5, it'd be awesome :-)
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #236
Inactive Account

Hell i sleep with my K-5. That's how much i like it. And nope i aint kidding.
05-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #237

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Dude, you misinterpreted my post and I corrected you on it. That's it. Move on.
No, I disagree with your post. People know Canon as a massive company that also makes cameras, just like Sony. Again, someone not agreeing with you is not prima facie evidence that they are ignorant or misunderstanding your argument.

It's not "crappy" AF. It's simply not perfect AF. Your exaggerations and constant repetition also do nothing to convince Pentax to improve. If I was them I'd be throwing up my hands and shrugging.
1. "Crappy" is a subjective term, so there really is no way to argue with you about that. There is also no way to argue with the objective fact that it is measureably worse than the AF in its direct competitor the D7000, which it is more expensive than.

2. If large companies reacted to legitimate complaints about the performance of their gear by ignoring their customers I don't think that would bode well for their success.

QuoteQuote:
Apparently you do, in the statement directly prior to that query. Since it is impossible to argue with someone who only listens to themselves, I leave you to your complaints about the horrible world of Pentax cameras. May it bring you much joy.

In the meantime I'll process the next batch of horribly out of focus pictures people mistakenly pay me to shoot with this horrid Pentax gear.

And I'm only using a K20D. Shock! Horror!

If you had anything to contribute other than dismissal of facts, I would be happy to listen. And no one is saying that Pentax is horrible: I love my K5, as I've said repeatedly. I loved my K20 before that. But I realized it had weaknesses that the K5 does not. Realizing that and wanting better no more means that I hate my K20 than realizing my K5 has weaknesses and wanting better means I hate it.
05-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #238

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote

Try reading what I wrote. I want better AF, but it was not my top priority. Why do so many people get so emotionally involved in inanimate object that they treat anyone pointing out obvious, objective, measureable, documented issues as some sort of traitor insulting them on a personal level? I said the K5's AF is not as good as the D7000's, not that your kids are ugly. There really is no need to get so pissy about something that is an objectively proven fact, nor so angry and defensive about someone pointing it out.
05-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pål: I'm not very knowledgable about the various AF-systems, and my own trajectory (Digital compact to K10d to K7) have gone towards ever progressing AF performance. However, your post made me feel a need to comment: I mostly shoot birds. Yesterday I took my Sigma 150-500mm to a roof top to try to get pictures of swifts in flight. The speed of the AF on my K7 had me half losing my mind. The Sigma has HSM, which is supposed to be fast, so I ASSUME that the AF-speed of the house would have been the bottleneck.

I know swifts ARE a challenging task for any camera, but I definitely hope that the next upgade of my house would make something like swifts-in-flight less mind-numbingly impossible. Fast AF is definitely of practical use in my situation.
05-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #240
Pentaxian

obvious, objective, measureable, documented issues
And how did you objectively measured "crappy"?