Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #286
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Add 1.15x magnification VF to that list. I would be more than happy to have a slightly larger body if it means 2 SD card slots, a Swivel LCD/OLED, & a better VF.

06-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #287
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Add 1.15x magnification VF to that list. I would be more than happy to have a slightly larger body if it means 2 SD card slots, a Swivel LCD/OLED, & a better VF.
I don't need 2 card slots ..... but an articulating LCD is a must have. I very much feel Pentax will be shooting themselves in the foot if this feature is not on the K-5 replacement.

wll
06-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #288
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I don't need 2 card slots ..... but an articulating LCD is a must have. I very much feel Pentax will be shooting themselves in the foot if this feature is not on the K-5 replacement.
A+

An articulated screen and LV is like hand and glove science!
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #289
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
A+

An articulated screen and LV is like hand and glove science!
Meh, I'll pass on articulated screens. I dont trust the joints.

06-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #290
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Articulating screen may be a weather sealing challenge.
I too can easily do without it (have done to date even though I'm increasingly using LV).
06-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #291
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a NEX partly due to the articulating LCD. Sure comes in handy and allows for some unique perspectives not so easily attained with normal VF.
06-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #292
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had the camera shooting overhead, low to the ground and at the hip using LV. I shade the rear LCD with my left hand and I can still see how I can frame the shot without bending in peculiar ways. In any case, I don't put much thought to how I look taking the shot I want - I just do it.

No articulating screen for me in flagship models - perhaps OK for entry-level ones for variety, but I prefer sound weather resistance capability in the flagship APS-C body.

Last edited by Ash; 06-02-2011 at 05:54 AM.
06-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #293
Veteran Member

Why not continue the K## series with a small body and not add extras like swivel screen, dual card slots and 1.15x viewfinder. Then add a new camera to the line-up with a slightly bigger body (K-20 size body) so those items can be added.

Dave
06-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I have had the camera shooting overhead, low to the ground and at the hip using LV. I shade the rear LCD with my left hand and I can still see how I can frame the shot without bending in peculiar ways. In any case, I don't put much thought to how I look taking the shot I want - I just do it.

No articulating screen for me in flagship models - perhaps OK for entry-level ones for variety, but I prefer sound weather resistance capability in the flagship APS-C body.
06-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #295
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You never have to use the articulating screen. If you don't trust the joints don't use the feature, but other companies don't seem to have a problem with articulating screens.
06-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #296
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, the E-5 is there and it's touted as being weather-sealed. I'm dubious about the LCD itself and how it maintains its weather resistant properties. It's quite an essential component of the camera to get ruined on account of rain leakage, or damaged from being knocked about at its fulcrum, a clear weak point of the mechanism. The fact that the joints are there make it a point of concern for me. Of course, I haven't shot with one in the rain to know...

It's not a pretty looking camera, though - that grip looks awkward.
That's just me...
06-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #297
Veteran Member

The E-5 is the only camera I've used for <$2k that feels as dense and well-built as the K5/7. Their articulating LCD seems quite robust.
It's absence wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me but I'd use it if it were there - specifically for video and macro.
06-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #298
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd love to frame real high perspective (crowds, etc) or low perspective shots like this:

from a pentax user on dpreview
06-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #299
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yep, the E-5 is there and it's touted as being weather-sealed. I'm dubious about the LCD itself and how it maintains its weather resistant properties. It's quite an essential component of the camera to get ruined on account of rain leakage, or damaged from being knocked about at its fulcrum, a clear weak point of the mechanism. The fact that the joints are there make it a point of concern for me. Of course, I haven't shot with one in the rain to know...

It's not a pretty looking camera, though - that grip looks awkward.
That's just me...
I used the E-3 for almost 3 years. It was my kayaking camera. It was dunked. dipped, & splashed on numerous occasions.

Yes you can break the LCD screen.... but you can do that on any camera. Another nice feature is that you can turn the screen around so that it is protected.
06-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
+1 - had one in the past and they are more trouble then they are worth IMHO.