Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #301
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I'd love to frame real high perspective (crowds, etc) or low perspective shots like this:

I was at a car show this past weekend and on my back, side and * to get the shots I wanted ... an articulating screen would have been a very welcome addition.

To those folks who have not used one, you don't know what you are missing. I was watching some of the guys shoot video, there cams right on the ground getting a very low perspective, something I could not do. I would have to had shot and guessed not being able to see what I was shooting.

No, a articulating screen is very important.

If Pentax does not do that, I would like to see an add on, like Sony has .... the problem with that is it is big, expensive and more cr@p to carry.

wll

06-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #302
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
To those folks who have not used one, you don't know what you are missing.
But to those who have, and are still not keen on it, I think they've got a point too.
I personally wouldn't consider the articulating screen important at all. Handy in some instances, yes, but not a vital feature.
If implemented into Pentax flagships, I would keep my K-5 for as long as I can, then think about switching. I'd have to wait and see if the D800 and 5D successor (if there will be one) come out with articulating screens first...
06-07-2011, 03:18 AM   #303
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
But to those who have, and are still not keen on it, I think they've got a point too.
I personally wouldn't consider the articulating screen important at all. Handy in some instances, yes, but not a vital feature.
If implemented into Pentax flagships, I would keep my K-5 for as long as I can, then think about switching. I'd have to wait and see if the D800 and 5D successor (if there will be one) come out with articulating screens first...
I guess it depends on what type of photography you do. For me, I mostly shoot stills. I'm not a person photographer. I shoot a lot of architecture, landscapes, studio stuff, and "things".

For "ME" an articulating screen is a pleasure to use (my G12 as an example), and I would love it in my next DSLR. I'm sooooo tired of peeping through a viewfinder or trying to see the screen when doing studio stuff. I'm at times tempted to use my G12 just because of this.

With the video feature now part of your DSLR, I don't see Pentax leaving a articulating out as all video cameras have it, and it is a must for video. If someone doesn't use it than you just lock it in it's normal position.

If on the other hand if your a sports/street photographer than it may not be your cup of tea.

wll
06-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #304
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very true wll.
If an articulating screen matters a lot to you, would you consider something like an Olympus E-5?

06-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #305
Veteran Member

I'm having a hard time understanding the strong resistance to a feature that you don't have to use if you don't want to. Is it a reliability issue (another thing that can break) or a matter of principle (serious cameras don't have articulating screens)?
06-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #306
Veteran Member

+1 for an articulating screen. I have one on a Canon and it's surprising the amount of time it actually gets used.

Everyone's all for increased DR, ISO, FPS, etc... an articulated screen gives increased perspective options (without the need for guessing).

Whatever Pentax bring out next, I won't be complaining.
06-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
With the video feature now part of your DSLR, I don't see Pentax leaving a articulating out as all video cameras have it, and it is a must for video. If someone doesn't use it than you just lock it in it's normal position.

If on the other hand if your a sports/street photographer than it may not be your cup of tea.

wll
Hmm, I think an articulating screen would be great for street photography ("shooting from the hip"). Personally, I think I'd use it a lot for video and for macro. I don't want it to have an impact on the ergonomics of ordinary viewfinder use, though. I once briefly tried a Sony Alpha 350 (I think), and the screen protrudes so much relative to the eyepiece that it's really an annoyance for anyone with a nose larger than a baby's nose.

06-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #308
Veteran Member

My issue would be with the added bulk and yep reliability. From experience at the retail level i can tell you they do break. It would be interesting to see how WR is implemented (possible obviously from the e-5)
in the last year i can count the number of times I'd have liked it on one hand for the most part. I'd rather see it on the KR replacement than the K5 replacement.
06-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm having a hard time understanding the strong resistance to a feature that you don't have to use if you don't want to. Is it a reliability issue (another thing that can break) or a matter of principle (serious cameras don't have articulating screens)?
It's a thicker camera with a smaller screen. Do I want that? Not really.
06-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It's a thicker camera with a smaller screen. Do I want that? Not really.
So if they could make a flip-twist screen without making the camera larger or the screen smaller you'd be ok with it?
06-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #311
wll
Veteran Member

Very true wll.
If an articulating screen matters a lot to you, would you consider something like an Olympus E-5?
With 3 K20D's cameras, two K-x's, and a K-5, and just about every lens Pentax makes, any other brand is not an option. I love the way Pentax cameras are made and the way they "FEEL" in my hands.

In the film days I had Canon F1n's and a series of FD lenses.

When digital started it was a tossup between Nikon and Pentax (Canon was not in the mix because they were the biggest) ... I chose Pentax because of its size and quality ... glad I did.

wll
06-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #312
Veteran Member

So if they could make a flip-twist screen without making the camera larger or the screen smaller you'd be ok with it?
OLED is thin, but casings aren't, I'd rather see a thinner camera as it sits. every time i pick up my SV,mx or even my km(film) it seems so tiny compared to my k7
06-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
OLED is thin, but casings aren't, I'd rather see a thinner camera as it sits. every time i pick up my SV,mx or even my km(film) it seems so tiny compared to my k7
With the NEX series, Sony has shown traditional camera makers how to stuff the guts of a camera - including a pivoting screen - into a smaller package:

Granted, there's no mirror and OVF and no PDAF, but I bet that Pentax could make the K-3 smaller AND include a flip-twist screen just by hiring a Sony electronics packaging/miniaturisation guru.

The lack of a flip-twist screen is one of the things that has kept me away from the K-5 (and towards a GH2) up to now. It's absolutely necessary for video and helps with stills as well in the studio and macros. And I've noticed that subjects are more natural and less wary when you don't have to bring a black box up to your face in order to take a picture. And speaking as someone that takes cameras hiking, running, and on motorcycle trips, I find a flip-twist screen more useful than weather sealing - I'll take advantage of weather sealing once or twice a year vs. once or twice a day with flip-twist...
06-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #314
Pentaxian

Yes, I'm not totally against it. I do like the idea of twisting the screen 180 degrees for protection. But that will mean a lot of twisting and I'm not so sure about that, how much twisting can it take?
06-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #315
Banned

Photos: Gallery
With the NEX series, Sony has shown traditional camera makers how to stuff the guts of a camera - including a pivoting screen - into a smaller package:
Well that NEX screen was awfull to use. I had a NEX-5 for one night testing it and you can't see in the sun and you can't turn it enought to avoid that.

I love the E-5 screen from Oly since you can turn it around and have the black backside to look at.