Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #316
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well that NEX screen was awfull to use. I had a NEX-5 for one night testing it and you can't see in the sun and you can't turn it enought to avoid that.

I love the E-5 screen from Oly since you can turn it around and have the black backside to look at.
Yes, that is problematic if you don't have VF (O or E) to use in bright light.

06-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #317
Veteran Member

if it can keep the body size and sealing, and i can flip it around so the screen is protected i have no issues, i don't look at the screen long when on a shoot, just confirming the first couple of exposures. i can see the value for video i just don't shoot much video myself. same with macros. i do however get caught in lousy weather regularly and have been sprayed with beer and water numerous times when shooting live music so WR is very important to me
06-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #318
Veteran Member

i'll add I'd take increased size if it came with a bigger better OVF and FF
06-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i'll add I'd take increased size if it came with a bigger better OVF and FF
Wouldn't a lot of us like that??

06-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #320
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm having a hard time understanding the strong resistance to a feature that you don't have to use if you don't want to. Is it a reliability issue (another thing that can break) or a matter of principle (serious cameras don't have articulating screens)?
Resistance is a strong word. It is a preference.

So what if I personally dislike articulating screens?
It's not borne out of some fear of change or the unknown.

I've experienced cameras with these screens, including dSLRs, and see their virtue outweighed by their physical disadvantages.
Yes, it's another weak point that will no doubt break at some stage in the rigors of outback and even wedding photography, but I couldn't care less about whether a camera is serious or not because of its screen. To me it's got to do the job, and withstand some knocking about, which the articulating screens are just sitting ducks for getting plucked out from their joints, even if not in use.
06-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Resistance is a strong word. It is a preference.

So what if I personally dislike articulating screens?
It's not borne out of some fear of change or the unknown.

I've experienced cameras with these screens, including dSLRs, and see their virtue outweighed by their physical disadvantages.
Yes, it's another weak point that will no doubt break at some stage in the rigors of outback and even wedding photography, but I couldn't care less about whether a camera is serious or not because of its screen. To me it's got to do the job, and withstand some knocking about, which the articulating screens are just sitting ducks for getting plucked out from their joints, even if not in use.
Maybe resistance was too strong a word, but in a previous post you mentioned that you would consider moving away from Pentax if the K-5 successor had a flip-twist screen. Switching platforms for a feature that you don't have to use seemed like a strong dislike.

Horses for courses, I guess. I think that I'll go confuse some people by flipping the screen of my Panny GH2 inward and taping the end of a box of Kodak Tri-X to the back LOL!
06-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #322
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Maybe resistance was too strong a word, but in a previous post you mentioned that you would consider moving away from Pentax if the K-5 successor had a flip-twist screen. Switching platforms for a feature that you don't have to use seemed like a strong dislike
Right. I can have a strong dislike, and it may be enough for me to consider going elsewhere, but I'm not suggesting Pentax *needs* to avoid implementing the screens in its cameras.

Right tool for the right job. Some hikers and fast-paced events photogs may appreciate the screens, but I figure a good number of them will either be ambivalent or not be keen on articulating screens on their dSLRs.

Sounds like a good idea for the EVIL camera coming out though...

06-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #323
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
For EVIL yes, for DSLR please keep it simple, the camera has enough bulk already. I'd also get rid of some of the gimmick software features in a semi pro body.

- keep electronic level display
- enhance metering and focusing (please more focusing points)
- loose video but keep all other shooting modes (although I mostly use M, Av and TAv)

Make it a camera for photographers, don't follow all the others.
06-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #324
Veteran Member

Haven't read the entire thread but the discussion on articulating screens caught my eye. I used to be fairly down on the idea, mostly just because I thought they looked lame, but after shooting more and more photojournalistic work, I'd have to say that the ability to shoot up high and actually be able to frame a shot well rather than going for a true "hail mary" would be pretty nice. Same for shooting down low to get that dramatic angle. Right now I switch to live view and while it gives me some idea, it's far from ideal.

Will it be incorporated into pro level bodies? I'd say unless they can make them almost unbreakable, no. They just seem too flimsy to hold up to rigorous use. It'd be darn useful while it lasts though
06-08-2011, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Haven't read the entire thread but the discussion on articulating screens caught my eye. I used to be fairly down on the idea, mostly just because I thought they looked lame, but after shooting more and more photojournalistic work, I'd have to say that the ability to shoot up high and actually be able to frame a shot well rather than going for a true "hail mary" would be pretty nice.
I used to be very negative myself (especially after trying a Sony where the VF was unusable because my nose hit the LCD), but after shooting some concert shots with my arm as high up in the air as I could (and I use K10D, so no live view at all - but I'm tall, so as long as I guessed the framing right, it worked well :-)), I really see the usefulness of a tilting screen.

I.e. on this shot, I was asked afterwards where in the room I was standing to get that view :-)

06-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #326
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I.e. on this shot, I was asked afterwards where in the room I was standing to get that view :-)
Great pic.
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Great pic.
Thanks! It was a great gig, too!

(The band is Motorpsycho, and I think they were playing their old song "Greener" when I shot this, at least I remember they used mainly green light for that song ;-))
06-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Thanks! It was a great gig, too!

(The band is Motorpsycho, and I think they were playing their old song "Greener" when I shot this, at least I remember they used mainly green light for that song ;-))

Stealing their name from Russ Meyers films haha

i'll have to check them out

good shot
06-09-2011, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ah, a swivel screens, give us more swivel screens!
Perhaps then we will see less people walking (or standing) around like Praying Mantises clutching their prey in front of their faces.

Greetings
06-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #330
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Ah, a swivel screens, give us more swivel screens!
Perhaps then we will see less people walking (or standing) around like Praying Mantises clutching their prey in front of their faces.

Greetings

Agreed 110% and I am mystified by Pentax' reluctance to include this feature.

Swivel LCD implementations would be a huge marketing point for Pentax to pull in the folks that are interested in street photography.