Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
Agreed 110% and I am mystified by Pentax' reluctance to include this feature.

Swivel LCD implementations would be a huge marketing point for Pentax to pull in the folks that are interested in street photography.

Does nothing for me street photography wise, my favourite street camera is a rangefinder, the digital i would like for that is an x100 (pretty much a rangefinder) or if i won a big lottery an m9.

I think any apsc milc from pentax that is k mount compatible would be fine for that (RF design would be nice, but a detachable EVF would be fine)
my k7 get's used for street but a swivel screen won't make it any better at that, it's still too big and in your face despite it's compact size

06-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would prefer K-3 (or K-5 Super) to be a fixed version of existing K-5 than the new sensor.
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
my favourite street camera is a rangefinder
Same here.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the digital i would like for that is an x100
The more I read on this forum recently, the more I see people framing their interests in terms of solutions from other brands.

To return to "K-3 speculation", I have to wonder if there even will be a K-3.
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
The more I read on this forum recently, the more I see people framing their interests in terms of solutions from other brands.
Good catch. I posted myself a while back that it struck me how many Pentaxians have mirrorless systems as well. I think your observation should serve as a warning for Pentax. Apparently there are quite a few Pentaxians who want to support the brand but are not finding what they want in the year 2011.

06-09-2011, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Good catch. I posted myself a while back that it struck me how many Pentaxians have mirrorless systems as well. I think your observation should serve as a warning for Pentax. Apparently there are quite a few Pentaxians who want to support the brand but are not finding what they want in the year 2011.
Exactly. I'm a vote with my wallet and not spend time complaining person. I'm already invested in Olympus M/3, perfectly happy with it, and now have an X100. It would take something really special from Pentax to make me buy a mirrorless system from them. I think the K5 is an incredible camera but it may be the last Pentax product I buy. I don't use it much. In fact I haven't used it once since I got the X100. I've been a Pentax user for years now but the boat my have left port with me as far as any new Pentax bodies are concerned. The K5 is probably all I will ever need in a DSLR. That leaves mirrorless. I will be upgrading my mirrorless body next year when I decide between the EP3 and the G3. Pentax would have to come up with a camera that accepts the DA Limiteds and a projection as to future lens releases in the F1.8 category for me to even remotely consider a Pentax mirrorless. Although I have a Kmount adapter, the 31, 43, and 77 are too big for a camera the size of the EPL2.
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Exactly. I'm a vote with my wallet and not spend time complaining person. I'm already invested in Olympus M/3, perfectly happy with it, and now have an X100. It would take something really special from Pentax to make me buy a mirrorless system from them. I think the K5 is an incredible camera but it may be the last Pentax product I buy. I don't use it much. In fact I haven't used it once since I got the X100. I've been a Pentax user for years now but the boat my have left port with me as far as any new Pentax bodies are concerned. The K5 is probably all I will ever need in a DSLR. That leaves mirrorless. I will be upgrading my mirrorless body next year when I decide between the EP3 and the G3. Pentax would have to come up with a camera that accepts the DA Limiteds and a projection as to future lens releases in the F1.8 category for me to even remotely consider a Pentax mirrorless. Although I have a Kmount adapter, the 31, 43, and 77 are too big for a camera the size of the EPL2.
This thread is taking a very interesting turn. I intend to buy a K-5, but as you and others have suggested, it may very well be the last dSLR that I buy. dSLRs are evolving to the point where the incremental improvements in IQ, ISO, and DR, mean less and less to most peoples' shooting needs. Pros of course need to push the technology envelope, as do serious and well-heeled amateurs. But the suspect that the buzz for new dSLRs is starting to fade.

Within this context of diminishing IQ returns, some photographers and gadget hounds are being drawn to other features - size (mirrorless), unique shooting experiences (X100), etc....
06-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #337
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I wouldn't read too much into many of us having mirrorless systems. For me, the e-p1 is my point-and-shoot that can also have my A 50/1.2 bolted on or the FA 77/1.8. In no way is it a replacement for me in regards to a dSLR.

06-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I wouldn't read too much into many of us having mirrorless systems. For me, the e-p1 is my point-and-shoot that can also have my A 50/1.2 bolted on or the FA 77/1.8. In no way is it a replacement for me in regards to a dSLR.
I understand your position and I'm sure it's shared by many Pentaxians. But I'm sure just as many others find the traditional DSLR platform increasingly less relevant with each passing year. And Pentax's maddeningly slow product pipeline doesn't help matters, either. Me? The jury is still out. But it's a good thing I already have a reasonable collection of Pentax glass because I can't imagine paying the price of high-quality lenses for APS-C or full frame going forward. Like John, the K-5 may turn out to be the last real DSLR I own.
06-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #339
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just hope Pentax has something of interest ready to go. M4/3 is on its 3rd generation and Sony NEX is on its 2nd generation with an NEX 7 (for serious enthusiast) coming out soon. The D400, A77, & 7DII should be announced this spring or sooner (A77 in July).

Pentax has a great camera in the K-5, but SDM problems, sensor stains, & AF issues have plagued the brand lately and Pentax QC is suspect. Does Pentax have the resources to continue to develop the K-mount, the 645D line, & develop a competitive mirror-less?

The OVF is going to be here for the next 3 years, but I think in 3 years EVIL will overtake DSLRs in sales in all but the highest end of the market. I get the feeling the global shutter is not far off. OLED EVFs are going to offer some real advantages.

The one way I see the K-mount continuing to survive is if a system like a 3-CCD (3-CMOS) is used in place of the mirror box. It would still be a mirror-less body, but the register distance would stay the same and all of the lenses would work. 3-16MP APS-C sensors each with its own color filter and a global shutter to allow you to expose each color channel (sensor) differently.
06-10-2011, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #340
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rangefinders have survived the dawn of SLR, there is no reason to believe that EVF camera will cause the death of DSLRs.

DSLR have quite a few years to live in the "serious about photography" market because of the existing glass available new and used.

The mass market is another matter, but DSLR can live properous without it. More quality glass less disposable products.

I always have a hard time with people seeing photographic gear as an "investment". My Fa31 and Fa43 get beaten and brassed because I use them, if I was looking for investor items, I would have started buying Leicas or Zeiss glass.
06-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #341
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
once evf's become good enough the stl will kill the dslr... no great loss if the stl is superior in every way.
06-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #342
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
once evf's become good enough the stl will kill the dslr... no great loss if the stl is superior in every way.
I fail to see the excitement of looking through a window to see a little old LCD. Does the K-5 not have a big ol' LCD on the back of the body? (that was rhetorical). There must be a lot of Vampires around given all of the mirror fear.
06-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I fail to see the excitement of looking through a window to see a little old LCD. Does the K-5 not have a big ol' LCD on the back of the body? (that was rhetorical). There must be a lot of Vampires around given all of the mirror fear.

I think i could be happy with no LCD just a damn good OVF bright, split prism and full manual control, exposure info in VF (digital FF LX anyone)
the rest i can deal with once i'm on a computer
06-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #344
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
when the EVF is a 600 dpi high contast oled you might like it, give it a year or two.

when 10fps is the base level as a result when af is amazing...

the a55... is just the beginning.
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #345
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
when the EVF is a 600 dpi high contast oled you might like it, give it a year or two.

when 10fps is the base level as a result when af is amazing...

the a55... is just the beginning.
I doubt it. I'm sure they will add more problems to worry about regarding electronic stuff to fail. I guess bodies are disposable anyway after 2 years though. I still don't see why people have a problem with good optical finders.

I am more interested in sensor stains, SDM failures and improved af being addressed. Then they can adopt a new slogan: "Fear the Mirror."