Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #436
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
I've worked with stereomicroscopes and light microscopes for more than 20 years and would not say anything of the like. At best, Olympus is on par with the rest of the good ones: Zeiss, Leica and Nikon. One could also argue that Meiji has a similar price per quality ratio as the top ones - not quite as good, but cheaper.
That may be true. He says that 80+% of what they service in this area is made by Olympus. I know nothing about the scope business.

10-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #437
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
You are right and I stand corrected. I'm a little surprised about this disparity.
We still don't know if the next Pentax will even have a Sony sensor. Pentax has used Fujitsu image processors in the past and the latest Fujitsu image processor can only handle 20MP at 5.5 fps. It is very possible that the next Pentax will have an 18MP Samsung sensor to still be able to hit that 7fps mark.

Of course Pentax could roll out a new body with 2 Fujitsu Milbeaut MB91696AM processors to handle the Sony 24MP sensor.
10-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #438
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
We still don't know if the next Pentax will even have a Sony sensor. Pentax has used Fujitsu image processors in the past and the latest Fujitsu image processor can only handle 20MP at 5.5 fps. It is very possible that the next Pentax will have an 18MP Samsung sensor to still be able to hit that 7fps mark.

Of course Pentax could roll out a new body with 2 Fujitsu Milbeaut MB91696AM processors to handle the Sony 24MP sensor.
I have a K-7 and it can't handle low light senarios like the K-5 can. I'm sure you know the K-7 has a Samsung sensor. I would still use my K-7 for daylight photography. The K-5 also seems to record some colors and shades a little better also. If it wasn't for the K-5, I probably would have switched to another brand but as some say, "To each is own."

A 24 megapixel K-5 with more focus points would be great!
10-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I have a K-7 and it can't handle low light senarios like the K-5 can. I'm sure you know the K-7 has a Samsung sensor. I would still use my K-7 for daylight photography. The K-5 also seems to record some colors and shades a little better also. If it wasn't for the K-5, I probably would have switched to another brand but as some say, "To each is own."

A 24 megapixel K-5 with more focus points would be great!
The K20 also had a Samsung sensor and it was probably the best APS-C sensor of that generation of cameras. Samsung modified the K20 sensor for HD video in the K-7 and it had a negative effect on high ISO. Samsung is more than capable of producing competitive sensors. The 18MP is rumored to be pretty impressive. The 3200 ISO images I have seen are very good. Is it as good or better than the K-5 sensor? I don't know. Until the NX200 starts making the rounds and ACR supports the RAW files we wont know. The Sony 16MP sensor is over a year old and Samsung has had plenty of time to make a better sensor.

Samsung pulled back the release of the NX-20 should be a very impressive camera. After the EP-3 hit the market with blazing fast AF I think Samsung pulled back and decided to improve a few features.The new 85mm f/1.4 is rumored to be very good.

10-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #440
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Apparently the 24mp sensor isn't significantly better than the 16mp sensor. So the gain would be minimal. I'd say 16mp is good enough, very much good enough.
10-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #441
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Apparently the 24mp sensor isn't significantly better than the 16mp sensor. So the gain would be minimal. I'd say 16mp is good enough, very much good enough.
My feeling too.

I do wonder how the sensor from Samsung is, but haven't seen a descent test.
10-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #442
Forum Member

I bought K5 this summer and it's great camera! I don't need better..for now)

10-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #443
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cooler Quote
I bought K5 this summer and it's great camera! I don't need better..for now)
I don't think the "better" sill come in the form of a better sensor. I think the next model will have significant improvements in other areas like AF, SR, improved OVF, 2 SD slots, maybe WiFi, and tethering.

I don't think the current sensor technology is going to be much of an improvement over the K-5.
10-30-2011, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #444
Pentaxian

I'd like to see an "in camera" focus limiter setting.
10-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'd like to see an "in camera" focus limiter setting.
That is actually a good idea!
10-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #446

The main thing I would like to have in the new model is articulated screen, preferably with a top or bottom axis.
10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #447
Pentaxian

What I'd like to see is the most reliable and hassle free camera ever.
Everything else could be exactly like on the K-5 (maybe a new SAFOX, with smaller AF points).
10-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #448
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AllonB Quote
The main thing I would like to have in the new model is articulated screen, preferably with a top or bottom axis.
I have mixed feelings about this idea. It adds more expense to the camera and it also means that the articulated mechanism has to be made water resistant to prevent water damage to the LCD screen and water entry into the body via the articulated joint.
10-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #449

QuoteOriginally posted by AllonB Quote
Nah, it'll never be waterproof and rugged to Pentax standards. I'd like wireless viewing on my iphone or HDTV. Tethering can be left to Eye-Fi, which is where I think things are going; Pentax seems to have made that choice by screwing up tethering on newer bodies.

$5000 cameras should be built with a metal chassis, not with plastic fiddly-bits that stick out and snap off. I've even contemplated epoxying my K20D flash down just to stop that @#$! from popping up.
10-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #450
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Nah, it'll never be waterproof and rugged to Pentax standards. I'd like wireless viewing on my iphone or HDTV. Tethering can be left to Eye-Fi, which is where I think things are going; Pentax seems to have made that choice by screwing up tethering on newer bodies.

$5000 cameras should be built with a metal chassis, not with plastic fiddly-bits that stick out and snap off. I've even contemplated epoxying my K20D flash down just to stop that @#$! from popping up.