Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #466
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. No problems with mine also. But I'm not expecting it to focus under no light or capture a fast moving subject sharply without panning either.
Working within the limitations of the system, recognising Pentax needs adequate contrast to be able to focus effectively, then the cameras can be used effectively under most circumstances.

05-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wonder if we will see an 18MP APS-C version of the 36MP Nikon D800 sensor as the next step. The 24MP does not seem to be attractive to most people.
05-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I wonder if we will see an 18MP APS-C version of the 36MP Nikon D800 sensor as the next step. The 24MP does not seem to be attractive to most people.
There could be the possibility of manually changing the megapixel count. I know Sony cameras have this ability. I am hoping for the 24.
05-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #469
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
how about you get serious.
i own K5 and AF is poor at best if you using fast lenses and if you think that all people with this problems don't own K5 and only come to whing to forums to give pentax bad name you need to wake up.
and AF adjustment feature is almost useless as well because AF is all over the place under different light type.
adjust lens outdoors and it is very good but go under indoor lights with same lens and it is miles off and god help you if you taking photos under mix conditions, who is there to know which way your K5 will go?

if i didn't have so much pentax gear i would NEVER go near pentax camera again but since i got so much money buried in to pentax i just got all of my fingers crossed that one day they pull their heads out and release K5 replacment that have reliable AF.

and no it isn't my unit only, i believe they ALL have problems just some people never use with lenses or conditions that trigger the problems, eg. if i always use K5 in studio then it would be perfect, i would never know AF got issues or if i never used lenses with large and wide open apertures then issue would not come up.

i had my camera replaced 3 times, and "repaired" once.
pentax service centre ignored the issue and focused on problem of exposure being different in same shot when taken with use of liveview vs shot taken via viewfinder.
they replaced my camera because of that just for me to discover they ALL act same way as well.

so yes, once again GET REAL
Pop Photo's review does indicate 'sluggish low light AF" as a con for the K5 in it's review so their is validity to your argument. This has taken the K-5 off my list and why I am curious about the K-30 AF "potential improvements". Maybe they will get this right in the K-3?

05-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #470
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
There could be the possibility of manually changing the megapixel count. I know Sony cameras have this ability. I am hoping for the 24.
The D800 sensor is the 16 MP sony sensor scaled up. On a per-pixel basis according to dxo, it's the same. The improvements you see have to do with only having a larger sensor area, not technological pixel improvements.

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicheretic Quote
Pop Photo's review does indicate 'sluggish low light AF" as a con for the K5 in it's review so their is validity to your argument. This has taken the K-5 off my list and why I am curious about the K-30 AF "potential improvements". Maybe they will get this right in the K-3?
Low light AF and predictive AF-C (neither are the SDM focus speeds people seem to complain about) are my biggest Pentax gripes and will definitely play a role on what system I have in the future.
05-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #471
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Low light AF and predictive AF-C (neither are the SDM focus speeds people seem to complain about) are my biggest Pentax gripes and will definitely play a role on what system I have in the future.
Check out the K30 for what the future of Pentax AF technology will be. You might be pleasantly surprised...
05-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #472

We need hands on tests to see if af is improved enough. This is the biggest issue I have. Lowlight af issues. Plus I got the DA*50-135 and the af is very slow for what I planned on using it for. They need to improve these things for wedding/event photographers.

05-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #473
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Check out the K30 for what the future of Pentax AF technology will be. You might be pleasantly surprised...
But this does not change the size of the AF points. This is still a problem.
05-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #474
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
We need hands on tests to see if af is improved enough. This is the biggest issue I have. Lowlight af issues. Plus I got the DA*50-135 and the af is very slow for what I planned on using it for. They need to improve these things for wedding/event photographers.
Agreed. Hands on test before I buy as I just sold my K10D and a lens and only have my DA* 16-50 left which I am thinking about selling and jumping ship.
05-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #475
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Most Pentaxians specialize in sleeping cat photography, and the current system is fast enough (usually) for that application. You just have to live with the occasional blurred yawn or slow stretch.
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #476
Inactive Account

Haha! Have you seen all the D800 "first obligatory cat/dog shots" in every other Dpr thread
05-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most Pentaxians specialize in sleeping cat photography, and the current system is fast enough (usually) for that application. You just have to live with the occasional blurred yawn or slow stretch.
Nice.
If you haven't already, you might want to check out the 18-135mm. Frankly, it is about the same speed as the equivalent nikon/canon zooms in it's class. The issue is the body driving it.
05-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #478
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Haha! Have you seen all the D800 "first obligatory cat/dog shots" in every other Dpr thread
The Olympus thread over on DPR is probably the worst. You would think 4/3 was developed specifically for cat photography.
05-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #479
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Olympus thread over on DPR is probably the worst. You would think 4/3 was developed specifically for cat photography.
Careful.

The Pentax forum has its resident squirrel images.

Waaaay too many of them.
05-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #480

Photos: Albums
<Sigh> We don't have squirrels here in Australia, just possums. Lots of different possums to be sure, but they are nocturnal so it is harder to get a good shot of them. Still, we are luckier than New Zealand, who don't even have any of the cute possums, just our manky reject possums.