Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #676
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To bump this thread a bit...

Stumbled upon this blog post. It's apparently referencing a thread on DPReview where a forum member posted saying a B&H Photo employee told him that the K-3 was being demonstrated to employees. I don't know if that thread has been referenced here, but either way!

Hmmm - how many degrees of separation is that?

07-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #677
Veteran Member

I knew the K-3 would not be a FF and is APS-C, there's no way Pentax would pull a measly K-30 to replace the K-5, the K-30 is just an entry-level with certain mid-end ergonomics such as WR and twin dials. Also there's no way Pentax would call a FF a K-3 after seeing the K-7 being replaced by K-5, if it were a FF it would be called something else. My prediction is Pentax won't be announcing a FF until next year because they'll need to bring some re-ergonomically fabricated FA*'s back to the line-up.

One thing I'm afraid of is that Pentax will bring out another entry-level lower priced than the K-30, meaning there will be two entry-level bodies, only that the K-30 is closer to the mid-end. The price of nearly 900 for a entry-level scares me for a lower priced body coming out.I really hope Pentax keeps the tradition of making one entry-level, one semi-pro, and possibly pull out a full frame. That way they don't go down the road of Canikon making multiple bodies in the same class-range after stripping features one off another, ridiculous.

If this is a Sony 24MP sensor, then my guess is there is no way in hell that it will have better ISO noise levels than the K-5, maybe close, but if close is it then it's good enough because 24MP is a massive jump. Just hope the ISO noise levels don't drop dramatically on this new K-3 model.

Last edited by LeDave; 07-05-2012 at 07:13 AM.
07-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #678
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I knew the K-3 would not be a FF and is APS-C, there's no way Pentax would pull a measly K-30 to replace the K-5, the K-30 is just an entry-level with certain mid-end ergonomics such as WR and twin dials. Also there's no way Pentax would call a FF a K-3 after seeing the K-7 being replaced by K-5, if it were a FF it would be called something else. My prediction is Pentax won't be announcing a FF until next year because they'll need to bring some re-ergonomically fabricated FA*'s back to the line-up. One thing I'm afraid of is that Pentax will bring out another entry-level lower priced than the K-30, meaning there will be two entry-level bodies, only that the K-30 is closer to the mid-end. The price of nearly 900 for a entry-level scares me for a lower priced body coming out.I really hope Pentax keeps the tradition of making one entry-level, one semi-pro, and possibly pull out a full frame. That way they don't go down the road of Canikon making multiple bodies in the same class-range after stripping features one off another, ridiculous.
they have said that you need 4 DSLR way back in January interview to have a proper line. no need to fear an entry below the K30, Reality is there is room for one, the K30 more directly addresses the T4i and D5100, an entry would be aimed at the lower level cameras and help draw users who won't consider the K30 due to price. K3 will still be a High end apsc (likely a k5 build, with upgrades in video processor af and sensor - likely a 24mp sensor like the Nex7 has) FF may well be previewed as a prototype at photokina with a projected launch of spring (and no pricing or final feature set available until January or so)
I agree they will need to bring out some FF lenses updated for digital, but they need some redesign as well since the optical elements they used previously can no longer be sold in many markets like Europe, so they will perform differently with the newer optics
07-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #679
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: [deleted]
07-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #680
Veteran Member

don't know about a replacemnt K-01 it's barely 6 month old right now. second gen Q (or a second Q as a complement ) is highly likely though
More pixels has advantages for some if it can come with K5 level performance. Cropping and printing large both benefit from the extra MP.

Since they did say 4 DSLR I would assume they do not mean the K-01. If they said 4 camera they already had that before the K-01 (Q,KR,K5,645D)
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #681
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:24 AM.
07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #682
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they have said that you need 4 DSLR way back in January interview to have a proper line. no need to fear an entry below the K30, Reality is there is room for one, the K30 more directly addresses the T4i and D5100, an entry would be aimed at the lower level cameras and help draw users who won't consider the K30 due to price. K3 will still be a High end apsc (likely a k5 build, with upgrades in video processor af and sensor - likely a 24mp sensor like the Nex7 has) FF may well be previewed as a prototype at photokina with a projected launch of spring (and no pricing or final feature set available until January or so)
I agree they will need to bring out some FF lenses updated for digital, but they need some redesign as well since the optical elements they used previously can no longer be sold in many markets like Europe, so they will perform differently with the newer optics
^This

The future Lineup

07-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #683
Pentaxian

[deleted]

07-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #684
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I knew the K-3 would not be a FF and is APS-C, there's no way Pentax would pull a measly K-30 to replace the K-5, the K-30 is just an entry-level with certain mid-end ergonomics such as WR and twin dials. Also there's no way Pentax would call a FF a K-3 after seeing the K-7 being replaced by K-5, if it were a FF it would be called something else. My prediction is Pentax won't be announcing a FF until next year because they'll need to bring some re-ergonomically fabricated FA*'s back to the line-up.

One thing I'm afraid of is that Pentax will bring out another entry-level lower priced than the K-30, meaning there will be two entry-level bodies, only that the K-30 is closer to the mid-end. The price of nearly 900 for a entry-level scares me for a lower priced body coming out.I really hope Pentax keeps the tradition of making one entry-level, one semi-pro, and possibly pull out a full frame. That way they don't go down the road of Canikon making multiple bodies in the same class-range after stripping features one off another, ridiculous.

If this is a Sony 24MP sensor, then my guess is there is no way in hell that it will have better ISO noise levels than the K-5, maybe close, but if close is it then it's good enough because 24MP is a massive jump. Just hope the ISO noise levels don't drop dramatically on this new K-3 model.
While you are correct to a point, the K-30 also has a penta-prism. I can't think of a manufacturer including Pentax that has had an entry level dSLR with a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror. Even the mid-level K200d had a pentamirror and single dial. The biggest thing the K-30 lacks from the K-5 is the magnesium shell.
07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #685
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
While you are correct to a point, the K-30 also has a penta-prism. I can't think of a manufacturer including Pentax that has had an entry level dSLR with a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror. Even the mid-level K200d had a pentamirror and single dial. The biggest thing the K-30 lacks from the K-5 is the magnesium shell.
and top LCD

why i always need top LCD ?
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #686
Pentaxian

[deleted]

07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #687
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K30 is nowhere near entry level.
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #688
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Well here: Kawauchi Interview Transcript and Reflections - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com its only said that two new bodies will appear this year...
Then there's what they announce for next year. Rome wasn't built in a day.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Ok, got it: We Interview Pentax UK GM Jonathan Martin It seems that was only a local guy, not one from HQ in Japan.
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #689
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
K30 is nowhere near entry level.
Was the K-r entry level?

The K-30 is being introduced at an MSRP of only $50 more than the K-r was. What features would a body below the K-30 have that the K-r didn't have? Maybe a 16mp sensor, improved low light AF, 100% VF, and focus peaking, that's probably it. Is it worth it to produce another body that only has those upgrades from the K-r, and be initially priced cheaper than the K-r was? Cheaper so that with the K-30 at $850, the entry level body would be $650-ish. I doubt it all, but I could be wrong. Considering the price the K-01 was introduced at, do you think that they will produce a cheaper version of the K-01? What features would they strip out of that?

Last edited by lammie200; 07-05-2012 at 07:21 PM.
07-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #690
Veteran Member

I would take the 24 megapixels. I know someone who uses the Sony A77 by the name of Jamie. She posts on flickr and she is, in my opinion, pound per pound the best wildlife photographer I have ever met. I can't find any noise in her photos but she knows how to edit them. The A77 is not quite as good as the A55 in low light. The A55 which uses the same sensor as the K-5 but the scores speak for themselves:

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

As far as more megapixels equals more noise is concerned, it maybe true with all other things being equal I just don't buy that quote. The K-5 is a lot better handling noise than the K-7. Sensors just keep getting better as technology advances.

Flickr: Andrew's Wildlife's Photostream