Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #1111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And you avoided to answer the question, "attacking" Anvh instead. Again, you are trolling - now complaining about the K-5's 20+ frames buffer.
Ok, so when I keep bringing up the superior performance of other brands then I'm trolling. But when I avoid it you start demanding that I do bring them up? Are you on your period or something? For the love of God, please look up the definition of trolling.

My 5DMKII has a slower maximum frame rate then my K5. The 5DMKII has a max of 4 FPS, but it doesn't slow down. Either it has a bigger buffer, or it clears out its buffer faster. I don't care and certainly don't complain, because it simply works. The K5 however, has a much faster frame rate of 7FPS but slows down to 0.8FPS after a second? Maybe two? I never timed it. It's short enough to be called a limited burst function. Which may be enough for a lot of people. Together with the Pentax AF-C it renders the 7FPS very useless. Or at least, I'm not skilled enough to use the continuous drive function of the K5, and have to resort to a more user-friendly camera like the 5D.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #1112
Veteran Member

Wow math isn't your strongest point.

You're saying the K5 slows down after 1 second because the buffer is full... so that means it is taken 23 frames per second!!!
Okay just for you the K5 shoot 6,5 fps and the buffer holds 23 photos so that is 3,5 seconds, quite a bit more then your 1 second...
With 3 FPS it takes 8 seconds to fill it.

Now for the 5D mark II
The buffer holds 11 photos so that is filled in less then 3 seconds, shorter then the K5 and then according to reports it slows down to 1,7 to 0.6 fps.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Camera Performance - Full Review

You're barking at the wrong tree it seems... in almost anyway the K5 seems better then the 5D mkII when it comes to this.

now... i'm still waiting for you to say which camera has a larger buffer.
02-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #1113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Wow math isn't your strongest point.

You're saying the K5 slows down after 1 second because the buffer is full... so that means it is taken 23 frames per second!!!
Okay just for you the K5 shoot 6,5 fps and the buffer holds 23 photos so that is 3,5 seconds, quite a bit more then your 1 second...
With 3 FPS it takes 8 seconds to fill it.

Now for the 5D mark II
The buffer holds 11 photos so that is filled in less then 3 seconds, shorter then the K5 and then according to reports it slows down to 1,7 to 0.6 fps.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Camera Performance - Full Review

You're barking at the wrong tree it seems... in almost anyway the K5 seems better then the 5D mkII when it comes to this.

now... i'm still waiting for you to say which camera has a larger buffer.
LOL! I must have a faulty K5 and a freaky good 5D then? Nope, I didn't do ANY math whatsoever. Just real-world experience. I own a K5 and a 5DMKII and the K5 slows down after a second or maybe two. The 5D keeps going, but I've never used it for more then maybe 5 seconds either. I'm not into sports photography.

But you're right, don't try anything yourself, just look at the numbers only.
02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #1114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this thread has seriously degraded into somewhat of a joke. homey don't play dat

02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #1115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
and the K5 slows down after a second or maybe two.
I shoot about 95% of a combination of sports and wildlife (well over 10K shots a month during the spring), and at high shutter speeds you are 100% correct, buffer issues hit the K5 at around 2 seconds consistently, and this is with every option turned off in camera. I am guessing around 10 shots is when it hits - keep in mind this is with shutter speeds well in excess of 1/1000, slower shutter speeds would probably alleviate the buffer issue some...
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #1116
Veteran Member

LOL! I must have a faulty K5 and a freaky good 5D then? Nope, I didn't do ANY math whatsoever. Just real-world experience. I own a K5 and a 5DMKII and the K5 slows down after a second or maybe two. The 5D keeps going, but I've never used it for more then maybe 5 seconds either. I'm not into sports photography.

uhh... i don't own every camera in the world you know so i had to look up a review who tested this.
I don't see how a measured report is less valid then an user report that is based on "feeling"

as for 2 seconds, i dont hear it slow down.
02-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #1117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
0.8 fps is almost no shooting
Isn't this determined by the write speed capability of the SDHC card? The speeds vary tremendously with the best "pro" cards having several times the write speed of consumer cards.

02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #1118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Is that a previous generation K-5? If so, I sounds like many here believe those low light AF issues have already been addressed in the current models.
Yes, mine is a K-5, not a K-5 II (s).
02-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I shoot about 95% of a combination of sports and wildlife (well over 10K shots a month during the spring), and at high shutter speeds you are 100% correct, buffer issues hit the K5 at around 2 seconds consistently, and this is with every option turned off in camera. I am guessing around 10 shots is when it hits - keep in mind this is with shutter speeds well in excess of 1/1000, slower shutter speeds would probably alleviate the buffer issue some...
I'm certain the limitation is not high shutter speed, but high ISO, simply because high ISO files are usually significantly larger and take more processing. I just tried it with 1/2000s and detect no appreciable difference, but with high ISO it slows down very rapidly.
02-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #1120
Veteran Member

You know, you could just take your K-5, shoot until it slows down, push the playback button and then... count the number of photos it took.

It's not that difficult. It'll take less than a minute, probably less time than it took you to write this comment, and it would be a lot more informative than "a second or maybe two".

I just did it myself, and I got 22 RAW shots before it slowed down. 22/7 is not exactly complex math.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #1121
Pentaxian

the K5 slows down after a second or maybe two.
Why do you post such rubbish in the presence of so many K-5 owners? Or have you never upgraded firmware on your K-5? (*)

I just tested (I shot the screen clock of my computer so it's easy to confirm) a series at 1/500 with my K-5 and got, just as promised, 20 frames at 7fps - i.e. just short of 3 seconds - 2-3 times your claim.

The only issue I have with the drive mode (which I'm not a frequent user of) is that I miss a medium setting - 7 fps is often too much but less than 2 fps is not enough.

(*) speaking of which, Pentax USA says the K-5 II can shoot only 8 RAW here: PENTAX - K-5 II - they've probably copied the K-5 specs from before the firmware update
02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #1122
Pentaxian

The only way to have a K-5 slow down in "a second or maybe two" is to use the original firmware, with which it only had an 8 frames buffer. That was quickly corrected by v1.01, and the camera is easily able to pass over 20 frames before any signs of slowing down.
I am talking from experience, by the way (and yes, I was specifically testing the camera when I filled the buffer, and yes, that was with the original and later firmwares).

The 5DMarkII is pretty decent, but still - even helped by a fast CF, it has a smaller buffer than the K-5.

L.E. I see gazonk was posting the same thing about the firmware when I was composing the message.
Indeed, Clavius is trying funny things these days, as if we wouldn't know our tools (nor basic math, for that matter).
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #1123
Veteran Member

Isn't this determined by the write speed capability of the SDHC card? The speeds vary tremendously with the best "pro" cards having several times the write speed of consumer cards.
Well .... card speed may be a factor but there are certainly more. It's like any other pipelined operation - fastest speed is determined by the slowest step in the pipeline.
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #1124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Inductive charging if built into an optional type of battery would allow you to charge multiple batteries at once using one pad. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's interesting!
I would like to see that in future Pentax cameras also, but only once the technology has matured enough
The current fastest ones are the UHS-I cards or SDXC ones right? Quite a shame Pentax didn't give speed compatibility for these card formats in the K-5 II/IIs.

as for continuous drive well I'm pretty sure I've sped past 20+ in several seconds holding the shutter with no slowdowns on my K-5 IIs. Will try again tonight (though I'm quite the conservative in burst mode... 2-3 seconds at 7fps is a lot of frames!)
02-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #1125
Veteran Member

Up to a point, the camera does not write that fast to the SD card, i believe the max was about 25-30 MBps