Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 236 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #1156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
PLANNED MOMENT - know your sport, your subject and your position and you should be able to make your capture in ONE FRAME. She'll allow that, of course, doesn't take into account the unexpected, such as the Daytona 500 crash - but those are exceptions that prove the rule.
+1 I agree with this, I use a D4 capable of 10 FPS for a majority of sporting events that I do cover - Motorcross, (Australian)Football and Soccer. The only time when that full 10 FPS is necessary is with motocross because the bikes are moving considerably faster than a human can, and even then at 10FPS I can count on my hands the number of times I have held the shutter down for longer than two seconds*. When I am covering Soccer or Aussie Football 7 FPS is more than enough, I rarely use AF-C when I'm using high FPS, i'm better at anticipating where the peak of action is going to be. A good hunter waits - a bad hunter chases.

*these moments are often to document accidents, while this may seem a bit heartless: but keep in mind the shots I do get are often used to confirm the cause of the accident.

02-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #1157
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A good hunter waits - a bad hunter chases.
She related the most difficult challenge of the action photography she was doing was to capture the eyes .....
02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Which makes the buffer size even less of an issue to the photographer who shoots in AF-C, since there is going to be lag between each exposure due to focusing and focus locking.
Essentially, the K-5 buffer is quite appropriate for the K-5. The next camera's buffer should be as capable, but the continuous shooting specs remains to be seen
Yes exactly. For action photography you really need both working together - not one slowing the other down.(well it does on my K5's anyway)

The key is PLANNED MOMENT - know your sport, your subject and your position and you should be able to make your capture in ONE FRAME.
And that pretty much sums it up in one line +1
Shooting my son swimming sports today and did not move of single frame once. (I won't comment on the focus and exposure though.....)
02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #1159

FWIW, my daughter, who was trained by SI staff photographers shooting college football, never shoots more than five frames in AF.c, rarely more than three. In her opinion (not to be construed as an affront to anyone here) a great SI photographer should be able to capture a PLANNED MOMENT in no more than three continuous frames, preferably one.

The key is PLANNED MOMENT - know your sport, your subject and your position and you should be able to make your capture in ONE FRAME. She'll allow that, of course, doesn't take into account the unexpected, such as the Daytona 500 crash - but those are exceptions that prove the rule.

Granted, she parlayed her connections into a Network News Producer gig, but still.

Just 'sayin.
thanks, learned something over here. understand my equipment and planned, good match!

02-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #1160
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
How surprised would everyone be if the K-3 turned out to be full frame. Not that I think it will happen but there was a rumor that a full frame would be released in the spring of 2013. It never surprises me how rumors turn out to be wrong so often.
Which rumour suggested a FF K-3?
I do hope you don't mean last year's April Fools prank.
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #1161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which rumour suggested a FF K-3? I do hope you don't mean last year's April Fools prank.
That rumor is SO 2012........ Surely by this time we should have new rumors to argue about?
02-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #1162

I'm surprised there is no more speculation about new NEX-7n sensor. Could that be the new sensor in K-3? Or may there be (again) some restriction about using this new sensor in Pentax cameras right away? Would built-in phase detection pixels bring any advantage to DSLR's or would it only make designing the whole package harder?

02-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #1163
Pentaxian

For a K3 we can make informed guesses based on what is available in the industry now.

So :
1. FF or APS-C?
2. MILC or DSLR

Going by the APS-C route :
1. 20-24mp (Sony or Toshiba sensor)

By what we have seen on K5IIs and K30 :
1. AA-filterless option
2. Better AF in low light (per K5II)
3. Better AF accuracy (esp. wrt light temperature)
4. Faster processor
5. Focus peaking
6. Faster CDAF (the 60D one is a slouch btw even compared to K5)
Edit :
7. Overlap AF points in AF-C (works pretty well imo on my K30); hopefully improved from this though

Whats probably expected of the higher end camera lineage (per K10;20;7;5) :
1. Well built and sturdy body with WR
2. Many buttons for fast access
3. Features per K5 (ie. custom options; 5 exp bracketing; etc)

Seems like a solid stills camera to me with good incremental improvements relevant to photo taking.

Video and what I consider 'non-essentials' but good marketing 'haves' like wifi, gps, etc, I'd not want to speculate.

Last edited by pinholecam; 02-27-2013 at 02:08 AM.
02-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #1164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Going by the APS-C route :
1. 20-24mp (Sony or Toshiba sensor)

By what we have seen on K5IIs and K30 :
1. AA-filterless option
They probably won't because the difference of having one or not is getting so small that it won't matter anymore for the end image.
So it's better they make the decison and make the camera 50 bucks cheaper.
02-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #1165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
They probably won't because the difference of having one or not is getting so small that it won't matter anymore for the end image.
So it's better they make the decison and make the camera 50 bucks cheaper.
Maybe... if they take the queue from D7100.

I won't say that its a small difference.
Having played with deconvolution sharpening on K30 files, I'd still say that its more practical and convenient not to have the AA-filter.

Then there are those who are very fearful of moire. (even though I've also seen it before on K5 files too)
So everyone seems to have an opinion on it.

See how it pans out.

$50 cheaper?
It should be $100
02-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #1166
Pentaxian

Video and what I consider 'non-essentials' but good marketing 'haves' like wifi, gps, etc, I'd not want to speculate.
I think it needs to have better video than the K-5 series to "tick all the boxes" for buyers comparing across brands. And I would be really surprised if it didn't.

(Not that the K-5 doesn't shoot good video, I don't use it much but I like the results)
02-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #1167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having played with deconvolution sharpening on K30 files, I'd still say that its more practical and convenient not to have the AA-filter.
de-convolution sharpening techniques are ultimately limited by quantum uncertainty. So yes I see a great number of DSLR makers abandoning the Bayer AA filter in the years ahead.
02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #1168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which rumour suggested a FF K-3?
I do hope you don't mean last year's April Fools prank.
Via Photorumors More Pentax full frame DSLR rumors | Photo Rumors, Via Ricehigh, Via DCHome, Via some guy that works at a camera shop. Surely this is reliable. However even if this was true(which I doubt) at the time plans do change. It seems that the people that claim to know often don't and the ones that do generally keep quiet. I wonder what Pentax should do now to gather support, the K-5 ii/iis is so new I wonder if they would release a replacement already. I suspect that the next camera would have to be a higher class than the current K-5 line which is quite a tall order. It is clearly obvious that the autofocus has to be amazing and that the buffer has to be improved, put it all in a great Body and they might have a winner.
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #1169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Via Photorumors More Pentax full frame DSLR rumors | Photo Rumors, Via Ricehigh, Via DCHome, Via some guy that works at a camera shop. Surely this is reliable.
And they're all repeating the same 1st April Joke made on Pentaxforums. Surely this is reliable
02-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #1170
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And they're all repeating the same 1st April Joke made on Pentaxforums. Surely this is reliable
All rumors on this board can be backed up by unsubstantiated facts.